Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Linux UAE vompile error  (Read 2213 times)

Description:

Offline Siggy

• Show all replies
Re: Linux UAE vompile error
« on: March 22, 2003, 12:19:17 AM »
I've had problems tinkering with 8.22 under Mandrake - even after getting the source RPM's and rebuilding / patching.

unless there is a particular feature you need (like running it SVGA), I'd suggest downloading the binary RPM and installing 8.21 (it's probably on one of your disks already) - I've got RPM's with and without the JIT compiler and both had bsd_socket option compiled already.

Siggy.

The TV business is uglier than most things.
 It is normally perceived as some kind of cruel and shallow money trench through the heart of the Journalism industry, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs,

Offline Siggy

• Show all replies
Re: Linux UAE vompile error
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2003, 04:11:16 AM »
Sorry I didn't reply for a while... but here's something for you to look into:

In the directory you run UAE from (more than likely your home directory) look for a file called .uaerc

This is a config file that UAE will read it's config from.. in there you can turn on your audio.

Alternatively, boot UAE with it's interface (not full screen) - use the GUI to set up your configs till you're happy with them and save the config (.uaerc) and then boot full screen from there on in.

Personally I copied UAE to a local bin directory and wrote some shell scripts to set me up properly. I also put my home directory as a local drive, so to change config I load up a text editor, modify, reboot.
Never leave UAE.

(Hmm maybe I should write a little amiga GUI frontend for this.....)

Another interesting dirty trick.
Don't run UAE full screen at all (personal pref here, I don't like linux programs running as root).
Instead run with a minimal window manager - something like AmiWM -- or alternatively no WM at all.  Boot up this configuration from a shell script (mine is simply called goami) -- setup UAE with the same screen res as you run Xwindows at.
Under Xwindows (with no WM) it looks as it if it is running at fullscreen - under AmiWm you have a 'Amiga screen bar' at the top of your screen (pull down that screen and have a Linux WB running behind it)..
Why would you do this? Well it all works together for the ultimate dirty trick:

Set up a crontab task and a shell script to check a subdirectory every minute or so (up to you how often) and execute whatever scripts it finds in there (this is why you DON'T run UAE as root -- and I'm currently working on a way to do this that isn't a security nightmare :P ) - make 'start scripts' for your fave 'can't live without' linux progs -- Your fave webrowser, xmms, whatever...
From the amiga side, make scripts that copy these "starters" to the "execution draw" and link them to icons (tool of your choice).

Result - you hit a button on your WB in UAE - 30 secs later you get Mozilla running.
If you use AmiWm, it's window sizing gadgets will look like WB 2.0 - so you're not distracted.

It's cheap, it's dirty, it's fun.

Siggy

The TV business is uglier than most things.
 It is normally perceived as some kind of cruel and shallow money trench through the heart of the Journalism industry, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs,