Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How to stop strange TCP/IP stack?  (Read 1743 times)

Description:

Offline JohnFanteTopic starter

• Show only replies by JohnFante
How to stop strange TCP/IP stack?
« on: August 31, 2012, 02:17:15 PM »
I have recently gotten hold of an A4000 with PPC, CVPPC, Toccate and Adriana network card. Very nice machine.

It is running OS3.9BB2 with Magellan on top at the moment but it is an old install that needs an reinstall/update.

I am waiting for a new floppydrive, OS4.1 etc. to arrive (thanks to the good folks at Amigakit!). Until then I would like to backup the machine to my Sonology server and try out some small updates etc.

However the problem is that there is an unknown TCP/IP stack on the machine with a fixed IP that dos not match my LAN (and I would really hate (and my wife would especially) if I had to change that), and I do not know how to turn it off so I can start a new and get online and transfer files etc. to and from it  

The guy I bought the machine from was way back an OS4.0 betatester and he says that the stack is from an old OS4.0 beta. But unfortunately it is all he can remember. No details.

I can not see the stack in Echange, and there is no mention of it in the startup sequences (as far as I can see). I only get an error when I try to run genesis/maimi saying that a TCP/IP stack is allready running. So I am a bit lost

Any suggestions on how to close the TCP/IP stack down and get genesis running?

Thank you in advance.
Booooiiiing!!!!

Offline Thomas

Re: How to stop strange TCP/IP stack?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 02:43:24 PM »
In current releases of Amiga OS 4 the TCP/IP stack is started by an AddNetInterfaces command in Startup-Sequence. Therefore you should check your startup-sequence and user-startup if there is such a command and remove it.

After that (and only then) check the Libs directory if there is bsdsocket.library. If there is, delete it. (If you delete the library before you removed the start command, you might get problems during the boot process).
There might also be usergroup.library. Delete this, too.

Offline freqmax

• Show only replies by freqmax
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 02:55:10 PM »
move instead of delete.

Check with some library listing tool too see what's used.

Otherwise try binary search and modify.

Offline JohnFanteTopic starter

• Show only replies by JohnFante
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 06:52:38 PM »
Thank you vey much for the help.

I did not have AddNetInterfaces in my startup-sequence but I had a couple of bsdsocket.library's (debug and nondebug) in libs. I moved them and cold rebooted and now I am online with Miami :-)

My Adriana network card is not the fastest but what the heck. It works :-)
Booooiiiing!!!!

Offline freqmax

• Show only replies by freqmax
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 09:04:46 PM »
What's the fastest card? and how fast is your Adriana setup?

Offline matthey

• Show only replies by matthey
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 11:40:53 PM »
Quote from: JohnFante;706038

My Adriana network card is not the fastest but what the heck. It works :-)

The Ariadne I is one of the fastest and nicest Zorro Ethernet cards for the Amiga. I am very happy with the performance and stability of the 68k drivers too. Miami is slower than Genesis by the way.