Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Android  (Read 8656 times)

Description:

Offline cameng

• Show only replies by cameng
Re: Android
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 03:03:44 AM »
Quote from: djos;698647
No, after having a HTC Sensation (rooted and plenty of ICS installs tested) for 6 months I went and bought an iPhone 4s! Droid has some nice features but to me it just feels like a cheap unfinished Chinese knock off!

I guess when buying a mobile phone with Android or ios it is sometimes like a lucky dip in terms of getting reliability. The quality is nice in the Iphone. The missus has the iphone 4 and I sugested for her to get it, mostly for use with Itunes and social networking, where i use mine for business.

Yes the others do look cheap in comparison. If Android phone manafacturers steered away from trying to copy the IPhone they would have a much better phone than the IPhone could ever be.

We don't want to live in a world of Microsoft VS Apple so I hope Android lifts its game. We need creative freedom.
:drink:

Offline djos

• Show only replies by djos
    • http://users.adam.com.au/djorlc/
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 03:15:03 AM »
I use my phone for work, the Sensation was work provided and it just sits in my drawer now - as a business phone I found android to be pretty horrible, its Exchange support is flaky and unreliable with frequent calender sync issues and regular mail sync fails vs active-sync on iOS which just works. The only thing droid supports that iOS doesnt is the out-of-office feature but I'd rather have reliable calendar and mail syncronisation.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 04:00:35 AM »
Quote from: Piru;698650
QWERTY keyboard
You mean like these: http://www.androidauthority.com/best-keyboard-qwerty-android-phones-2012-55315/

Quote from: Piru;698650
(I thought I made this point clear already).
Ouch.. :rant:
He was just asking.  :)
I thought it was a valid question, as they have phones with qwery keyboards, so there might be some other features you have issues with????

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline ravard

• Show only replies by ravard
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 05:15:25 AM »
I have a Galaxy Nexus and just loaded Jelly Bean on it. I used to own an iPhone 4. The iPhone definitely has a high level of polish, but Android is closing in. Jelly Bean goes a long way towards that. It is very responsive and snappy. I also own a Sony xPeria Play for handheld gaming and it runs most things pretty well, including an Amiga emulator! So I feel that Android has made great strides in the last several years and keeps getting better and better.

Offline huronking

• Show only replies by huronking
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 05:16:35 AM »
I have an HTC Inspire, which I grew to hate for its quirky instability... In all fairness it turns out the battery was defective all along. It works great now. My wife grew to hate her iPhone 3GS so I bought her a pantech phone and tablet package deal which she loves. It's hard for me to say either way. I like my iPad a lot, and love my iPod more than I thought I would, my next phone will probably be ios. Nothing against Android... I just don't know that I am really much of a big fan.

Offline Christian Johansson

• Show only replies by Christian Johansson
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 06:35:47 AM »
I like Android. Jelly bean seems to be even smoother.

I had the following phones.

HTC Magic
ZTE Blade
Samsung Galaxy S
LG optimus 2x
Samsung Galaxy S2
Samsung Galaxy S3 (Current)

I also got an Asus Transformer Prime.

Offline Ni72ous

• Show only replies by Ni72ous
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 09:08:35 AM »
Been using android for a fair amount of time now, it all started when i used magldr to install gingerbread on my HTC HD2, i now have a Galaxy S2 and a Transformer Prime and i still love android, i can't compare it to any apple device as i have never used one and never will use one.
Ni72ous

Offline Colani1200

• Show only replies by Colani1200
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 09:48:41 AM »
Quote from: trekiej;698576
Are you an Android fan?

I really enjoy using it and I'd say it's definitely the best smartphone OS out there. The biggest flaw in it is the update policy, which is mainly up to the manufacturers, but I think google will get this sorted in the long term. In the meantime, make sure you pick a Nexus model or a device that is supported by Cyanogenmod.

Quote from: cameng;698651
The quality is nice in the Iphone.

The hardware design is quite appealing indeed. Though you have to be really careful with the glass...

If Android phone manafacturers steered away from trying to copy the IPhone

Sorry, that's Apple marketing BS.

Offline djos

• Show only replies by djos
    • http://users.adam.com.au/djorlc/
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 11:47:09 AM »
Quote from: Colani1200;698686
    Quote:
                                                 If Android phone manafacturers steered away from trying to copy the IPhone                                
 Sorry, that's Apple marketing BS.

Well it's definitely BS, Android is a blatant copy of iOS and that's all there is to it!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

Offline specialK

• Show only replies by specialK
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2012, 12:00:00 PM »
had HTC Legend, Sony Xperia X10 and Samsung GalaxyS2...leaving Android platform with mixed experiances, mainy below average or bad stories of hardware cowboys (Sony & Samsung im looking at you)

going to try Blackberry and if not satisfied will go back to Apples closed hardware and software platform.   full stop.

Offline Colani1200

• Show only replies by Colani1200
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2012, 01:00:37 PM »
Quote from: djos;698698
Well it's definitely BS, Android is a blatant copy of iOS and that's all there is to it!

I hope you have some decent arguments for this? Or are you just parroting Apple propaganda?

Offline tone007

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2012, 01:13:17 PM »
Yes, I have a bunch of Android devices to play with (and a couple of iOS ones as well) and generally the iOS ones collect dust.

Quote from: specialK
going to try Blackberry

Forgive me for laughing.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2012, 01:29:21 PM »
You will likely be unhappy with BB devices unless you have enterprise needs that warrant owning one.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 01:41:59 PM »
Quote from: Duce;698707
You will likely be unhappy with BB devices unless you have enterprise needs that warrant owning one.

I agree. BlackBerry sucks balls. But i'm definitely getting another!
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2012, 01:58:39 PM »
Quote from: cameng;698644
Also it is a worry when you turn on wifi hotspot (The best thing about my Android phones) and the desktop web pages load quicker than your phone.

Why is that a worry? It makes perfect sense. The cpu in your phone is doing less work and your laptop is faster. Would you be happier if they artificially slowed everything down when the phone was used as a hotspot?

Most routers run linux, installing a web browser on one and using xterm to connect to it wouldn't give you a great experience either.

I'm not saying that android is brilliant, but for the cost of a mid range phone it's good enough for what I need. An iphone wouldn't be a better phone for me and it's alot more expensive.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #29 from previous page: July 02, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »
I'm more concerned if RIM will actually be in business as a handset maker in 2-3 years, tbh.  They are absolutely hemorrhaging cash atm.

I smell a buyout coming.