Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: X500 Plus case  (Read 7617 times)

Description:

Offline voxTopic starter

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
X500 Plus case
« on: May 03, 2012, 10:58:14 PM »
Source AW.net http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=35684&forum=33

Hi everyone,

First I’d like to say thanks to all the people who have expressed interest, followed and supported my projects during the years.

You know who you are…

Secondly I’d like to point out a couple of things:

1)   This has been created during the last 7 years (on and off, every time I saved some money I’d work on it), I made lots of different prototypes but wasn’t happy with any of them

2)   It’s a one-man project (self imposed masochistic challenge), I designed the thing, I raised the money, I used my time, nobody else was harmed  apart from a few patient people (sorry to have bothered you so much with all my questions and requests)  

3)   I bash things together in a garage, there is no fancy design studio in sunny California  actually quite the opposite! All the photos were taken at home with a mobile phone (sorry about the quality) and sometimes I dragged the table outside as light is not very good at the moment (where has the sun gone?!)

4)   The original all aluminium X500 PLUS became too expensive to make, the keyboard started becoming difficult to source and a minimum of 1000 pieces were needed...so I scrapped the project and with it the time and cash spent.   But the aluminium core is still there.

5)   The X500 PLUS has grown lots through the years, from a one off personal A500 replacement case to a full blown project with the following targets:

To support powerful x86 boards (mini-itx and flex-atx boards). Why? Because you can then build and customise your own retro but powerful and modern wedge shaped machine. You might want to run AROS, Windows, Linux, WinUAE, build your Natami machine (I think the Natami in the black version of the X500 PLUS would look excellent, the logo really suits it) etc…etc…

To support the SAM boards by ACube running OS4. Why? Because it makes sense.

There are some limitations of course; being only 58mm high you’ll need to use processors heatsinks that fit (my Intel i3 came with the right low profile heatsink for example).

There is no need to do anything with the SAMs obviously, maybe just file the I/O panel a bit.

Don’t go too mad, as you’ll be using a picoPSU (of your choice and they come in 80, 90, 120, 150 and 160W) so power is at a premium and also you need to consider heat generated.

Right now the X500 PLUS shown in the video has an Intel i3 cpu running at 2.5GHz on a gigabyte motherboard with 8GB DDR3 RAM (16GB supported), onboard Intel HD 2000/3000 graphic chip, USB3.0, HDMI ports, VGA and a x16 PCI-Express slot, here I have connected an ATI Radeon HD 6570 2GB graphics card. This is one of the most powerful low profile cards you can get and it does get hot but it runs games such as Mass Effect 3 really well. My set up also has a 150W picoPSU with external 150W brick. See video.

To offer a full size, easy to find, standard keyboard. I have bought and tested several keyboards (I have no idea what I am going to do with them all) and this felt right and ideal for this type of design.

It’s quite a good one, chiclet keyboard and it comes in white or black, hence the case will be white or black. It is an Emprex 6310U keyboard and I can only find them with the U.K. layout so if you want you can buy the case without the keyboard and get your localised version yourself.
The adhesives for the Amiga keys “A” are available from Acube, amigakit and others. They should fit nicely over the rounded Windows logos.

To offer hacking/customising/modding potential.

To offer one low profile expansion slot. Length and thickness (no dual slot) limit of the card applies, the ATI HD 6570 2GB above is 170mm long for example and it fits nicely.

To have enough space inside for a slim DVD-RW (in the video you can see a black version and a white version), a 3.5” multi card reader (in the video you can see white, grey and black ones, here you could put a floppy disk drive but it’s for the brave), two to three 2.5” Hard Disk or Solid State Drives (I recommend the SSDs as they have no moving parts, they are faster, silent and don’t generate heat).

Being able to replace the LEDs if you want to, I know it might sound silly but I always wanted to replace the colour of my LEDs on cases with dodgy colour combination (Red and Blue for example). I like Blue and Orange.  I made a custom LED window to accept 3mm tailed LEDs.

The power switch is a bog standard Reset switch, available anywhere; it’s positioned underneath the right side of the keyboard and can be easily replaced if it becomes faulty for example.

Left to do: not much, I want to improve the airflow a bit, I might add more vent slots, back, rear, top and base and see if I can include a Fractal Design silent 40mm fan, like the one in the video. The Scythe silent 40mm (I have tested both) is also a good one.

Maybe reduce the size of the LEDs and also spray the aluminium base in black and in white to compare it to the “natural” aluminium one). I am thinking all black for the black version. I have no idea how to change the colour in Photoshop from white to black so if anyone wants to have a go let me know.

If there is anything you want me to adjust, now it is the time to tell me…  but I can only change small things.

A minimum of 50 orders is necessary to go ahead, the case is made of lots of parts so I will be assembling them one by one…so please be patient.

You will have to use your best pc building skills to make it nice and tidy inside, routing cables the proper way and allow good airflow, I’ll see if I can provide cable ties.

If successful expect more projects coming your way...together with one collaboration with Acube. But that was supposed to be a secret…

Crank the volume right up and select HD...

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAMCVDumhZQ
YT channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/LorianoPagni

I'll update my page when I get a bit of rest...I am exhausted!

Usual email: amigarulez@hotmail.com

Have fun and thanks again.

PS: I have no idea on how to embed a photo of it, any kind soul?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 10:40:39 PM by vox »
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
Re: X500 Plus case
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 12:16:08 AM »
For some reason that link above takes me to the Minimig video and not the X500 Plus.  This is the correct link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieDfpMM8faQ

The Minimig case with the white keyboard and mouse was a thing of beauty and this X500 Plus design looks absolutely fantastic.

Excellent work!
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline darkage

• Show only replies by darkage
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 02:33:55 AM »
Ok so someone has managed to put a Apple thin keyboard on a simple shaped a500 looking like case..  actually the real a500 I think looks much better in such it has its own identity with nicer curves instead of being a Steve "minimalist" Job.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 07:19:06 AM »
I think its beautiful.

Give the guy some credit, that is ALOT of work right there.

Offline TheDaddy

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 11:25:04 AM »
@Darrin, haywirepc...Thank you.

Thanks vox for posting it here at amiga.org, I didn't have time last night I was exhausted... :)

@darkage
I don't know what to say about your comment.

I see the X500 PLUs as a solution for all (Natami, FPGAArcade, Raspberry pi, SAM, x86 itx-flex boards)  it's obviously for people who are interested in a case that vaguely resembles the A500). It's a one-man-project/dream. It's a tribute to the golden age.

It's inspired by not a replica of.

I loved blasting aliens in Mass Effect 3 last night while I was recording...the Intel i3 2.5GHz and the ATI Radeon HD 6570 2GB really set the game right. Shame I sold my SAM+OS4 to finance the last modifications otherwise a few shots with OS4 would have been great...Anyway when I manage to save some money I'll make the final adjustments and make a black prototype, that should look double awesome! I see it perfect for an AROS/Natami system :D

The X500 PLUS is slightly shorter and thinner than the original A500 (at 58mm I have managed to pack a 2.5GHz cpu, 8-16GB RAM, a PCI Express ATI Radeon 6570 2GB, a DVD-RW/Blu-Ray, a 3.5" card reader/FDD, a couple of 2.5" HDD/SSD and a keyboard)...oh well...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 11:27:20 AM by TheDaddy »

Offline darkage

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 12:37:07 PM »
I think we need to buy TheDaddy a commercial 3d printer or CNC milling machine, sorry I just cant get beyond the sheet metal feel to it with its profile.   It reminds me of a wide Dataflyer 500 case.  

I know working from the garage you having limitations, its great that your produced something, but would love to see it taken to the next level.

Offline Fnac

• Show only replies by Fnac
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 01:07:21 PM »
Great Work.!
I have only 2 questions ?
Its possible to fit a amiga 1200 motherboard inside ?
and the keyboard layout can be changed ? (UK, PT, US, et?)

Thanks.

Offline TheDaddy

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 01:33:13 PM »
Quote from: darkage;691563
I think we need to buy TheDaddy a commercial 3d printer or CNC milling machine, sorry I just cant get beyond the sheet metal feel to it with its profile.   It reminds me of a wide Dataflyer 500 case.  

I know working from the garage you having limitations, its great that your produced something, but would love to see it taken to the next level.

The aluminium is great for stiffness and heat dissipation, that is one of the reason I chose it.
Next level? I have got other things on paper but they'll depend on the X500 to do well.

Offline TheDaddy

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 01:36:09 PM »
Quote from: Fnac;691565
Great Work.!
I have only 2 questions ?
Its possible to fit a amiga 1200 motherboard inside ?
and the keyboard layout can be changed ? (UK, PT, US, et?)

Thanks.

Good question...I haven't tried an A1200 motherboard but I think you can. The case has a standard cut out on the back for I/O panels. Once the A1200 motherboard is inside you would need to block that. If you let me know the size of the A1200 motherboard I can tell you for sure. Regarding the keyboard layout. I can only put my hands on the U.K. layout.
If you need a different one I would advise grabbing this:

Emprex 6310U USB keyboard in the layout you prefer, the case was designed around it.
Thanks.

Offline darkage

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 02:05:37 PM »
Quote from: TheDaddy;691568
The aluminium is great for stiffness and heat dissipation, that is one of the reason I chose it.
Next level? I have got other things on paper but they'll depend on the X500 to do well.

No doubt aluminium is a great base material, but theres only so much you can do with a sheet of it without fancy stamping.

Wish you luck though!  I want to see next level!

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 02:31:19 PM »
Why not just 3D print it, time and materials on a quality 3D printer is going to be cheaper than manufacturing it.  That's what Commodore would have done if they were still around!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 02:46:43 PM »
I really like this!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 04:00:18 PM »
Quote from: persia;691577
Why not just 3D print it, time and materials on a quality 3D printer is going to be cheaper than manufacturing it.  That's what Commodore would have done if they were still around!

Are there 3D printers that model in metal? At least ones that are fairly accessible to the customer?

Offline Damiga

• Show only replies by Damiga
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 09:09:40 PM »
Wow!:banana:

Looks great, Nice job!

How much hard earned cash must I part with to get my hands on one of those cases?

Offline TheDaddy

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 09:52:09 PM »
Quote from: Damiga;691620
Wow!:banana:

Looks great, Nice job!

How much hard earned cash must I part with to get my hands on one of those cases?

I'll be doing the maths tomorrow...I have still got no idea, the amount spent on this is enormous but I understand there is a limit on what people want to pay...

I have still got to solve a couple of minor problems...

Will let you know as soon as I can. ;)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 10:05:58 PM by TheDaddy »