Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is it me, or do you find booting a game from disk much more 'romantic' than WHDload  (Read 6207 times)

Description:

Offline nikodr

• Show all replies
We are human beings,we will only live for 75-80 some 90 or 100 years,since the time we had to load games through tape is long gone,and since we can use our time much better to do something more productive (you can load a game in 2 seconds and use the 5 minutes,to do something worthwhile),there is no need to play kings quest 5 on an amiga that can have harddrive and much ram from 2 floppies disk drives,and swap disks till devil comes and takes over amiga.inc.

I believe whdload solved many of our problems,to load one game that loads fasts and has no need to load again everytime you lose,or play larry 1 or some old games is good,but all decent and recent games on amiga,would not work from floppy well,they didnt on the 90ies why would we want that now?

Offline nikodr

• Show all replies
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Life_Expectancy_2011_Estimates_CIA_World_Factbook.png

In greece and it is actualy from 77.5 to 80.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_expectancy

But i think no need to worry,if you exercise dont drink dont smoke and sleep early and have good doctors and with no disk swapping to lose your patience you can easily outperform those expectancy figures :)

Offline nikodr

• Show all replies
For someone that wants to revive and live again the magic atmosphere of the 80-90 it is ok to use floppies tapes,and other slow magnetic medias.

There are many sites forums,emulator related that have a large part of the human history of computer science and software.

Practically though with the speed that life goes on on a daily basis,it is not something that many people could do for a long time.

In the 80ies we all had to use disks or tapes to load the software,but we no longer live there,we use faster medias hard disks,and other stuff for our daily practical needs.

Many could have old machines,but i am sure that most of that people would use an emulator 70% and 30% real hardware,and since there are emulators and ways to load software at a fraction of a second there would be no need to spend much time on loading proccesses,

However many people in the amiga platform not yet have floppy emulators that load adf files or have a minimig so it is accepted the fact that they use floppies.

Personally a year or so ago i used an zx128 and spectrum+ with the tape interface they had.I loaded one or 2 games,took ages,and then switched to making mp3s and loading them with an ipod in a few seconds in comparison to having them load through the nasty slow tape interface.I am 30 years old,i have been using disks and tapes since i was 5-6 years old,i do not need the slow facts they carry,although once or twice a year would be good for me.

I believe whdload is the winner in the debate in terms of speed and time,the old floppy speed of reading the data,or listening it making buzzes while it loads the sectors of a non dos game is absolutely great.
Although i practically see no reason for it to be used now.
One that has an a500 or a600 can easily use kickstart 3.1 some ram,a hd or sd have all the games,and load them with whdload.

I remember playing King's quest 5 on a a500 with 1 mbyte ram and 2 floppy drives,with only one floppy the game was unplayable,with 2 drives you could play,though the loading was slow.
If one wanted to replay King's quest 5 today on amiga,would that person choose to listen to the sound of the floppies,and have to play 3 hours of game just to have 45 minutes of real game play ?.the other 2 hours and 15 minutes would be drive loading data,and the message insert disk x?.

No i believe people that are older now have little time to spend because daily life stuff and work does not leave much time free to be able to sit down and wait for the data to load.
That's the reason faster media were invented and used that's the reason a600 and a1200 had ide ports for hard drives,that's the reason poseidon stack Chris Hodges made it possible for us to have usb media solutions on amiga or the deneb,why go back?

Also life expectancy Franko is something that you can easily prolong if you have a good and active sexual life ,after all that is what is Amiga=girlfriend.Maybe having multiple amigas makes one man's life more energetic :P