Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: /  (Read 4927 times)

Description:

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
Re: Why are we at war?
« Reply #44 from previous page: November 09, 2008, 05:44:43 AM »
Hans:

As an Amiga OS 4.1 user/developer, I agree with this. Although I should add that having the odd look at what the other OSes in the Amiga world are doing is worthwhile, just out of curiosity.  Hans

I used my term "dont care" loosely.  I'll read up on it but since I'm a MorphOS supporter, the news is not relevant to me.  I do think that more competition makes both OS4 and MorphOS developers bring out the best in each other.  

-Alex
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2008, 09:23:18 PM »
There are two simple reasons for the wars and the camps:

1.  When Commodore then Escom bit the dust several small fry with big egos decided that they were the ones who should decide the future of the platform.  With no official direction the community flocked to the various 'saviours' and the split was made.

2. People on the Internet are dicks.  It's all too easy to hide behind an avatar or username and behave in a way that would get your head kicked-in in real life.

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2008, 09:33:57 PM »
Classic Amiga is best, okay?

If you don't agree...

SILENCE!! I KILL YOU!!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go

;-)

Offline AmiKit

« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2008, 09:34:13 PM »
@Lorraine
My question is why are there so many camps in the Amiga scene (when we're not really that big anyway) and why are we at war with each other?

Maybe because of the narcissism of small differences?

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2008, 11:38:30 PM »
Same reason people disagree about politics and religion ...

:argue: ... poke ... prod ... :whack::flame::destroy: ..... :roll:

Offline ZeBeeDee

• Show only replies by ZeBeeDee
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2008, 02:43:49 AM »

X-ray wrote:

SILENCE!! I KILL YOU!!!

;-)

To err is human ... to BOING divine!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
Re: Enter The Sandman
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2008, 03:42:40 AM »

Tempest wrote:

Amithony wrote:

dammy wrote:
2009 should be a very interesting year for the Amiga community.

Every year is more interesting than the last. I find it fascinating how many swings and round abouts the technology goes through. One thing is for sure though, if Microsoft do not address the performance issues in its operating systems, we may well see the resurgence of the players like the Macs and Amigas. It's happening already, but Amiga needs to step up to the plate to make hay while the sun is shining, otherwise, we will be reading about how good the Amiga always was and emulating it on our new intel machines :)

Really?

Joe 'the computer user' doesn't give a sh*t about Amiga, most people don't even remember it. Amiga like OS's like MorphOS, Aros and OS4 just don't have the apps, hardware or stability to satisfy most users. This isn't going to change in the near future with only a few active users (a couple of thousend).

There's nothing these OS's have to offer at the moment. Don't even start about bootup time (most favorite amongst Amiga users), my 6 year old Linux box (AMD 2500) boots up in just 35 seconds and system performance is very fast with a highly tweaked Debian 'unstable' netinstall and Awesome as window manager.

The only OS's that could profit from a possible downfall of Windows are MacOS and Linux but I don't see Windows dissapear in the near future (Windows 7 is just around the corner).

Just face it, Amiga like OS's are just for hobby and aren't going to be mainstream ever again. The competition is lightyears ahead. Just look at Linux, it's a great OS if you put some time in it and best of all it's free :P

Yeah really.  Vista has been an embarrassing failure.  Average Joe is no longer dumb-ass Joe.  He's probably had XP for a few years, knows he can do everything he needs with it,eye candy ala Vista doesn't matter, and he sees vista that does NOTHING new for him, makes his machine slower and a lot of his peripherals won't work with it.  So he stays with XP.  Why do you think MS already has a beta of Windows 7 that many people are installing and finding it is FASTER than Vista on their current hardware.  It took MS what 6 years to make Vista and within 18 months they have something that it is widely reported to be faster than XP on the same hardware. Why?  Because the game is changing, the same old MS trick of updating your hardware for a new look and better stability is gone.  Performance is where its at, and MS knows that another bloated POS like Vista will be disastrous.  And BTW Linux is the biggest overrated, unintuitive mess that I have had the misfortune of experiencing (yes done Ubuntu (does dial up work yet?), Done red hat, done PCLOS, done Mandriva all meh)

Offline LorraineTopic starter

• Show only replies by Lorraine
/
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2008, 09:34:09 PM »
/

/
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2008, 09:40:18 PM »
/

Offline Hans_

« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2008, 10:50:52 PM »

Lorraine wrote:
@ Atheist

I don't know about MooBunny, but I've heard the word thrown around this site in various places. What is it?

It's an online forum that doesn't require you to log in to post; anyone can post comments there. Unless you want even more negativity and spittle, don't bother looking it up.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2008, 11:23:32 PM »

Lorraine wrote:
@ kolla, takemehomegrandma, bloodline, the_leander & redfox

Well I'm not too sure about the Middle East Religion analogy, but some of what you said demonstrated a point about how things escalate. Not that big a deal, just thought I'd point it out.

Some of what who said?

I think I've made one comment in this thread, which said:

And it just gets better :roflmao:

Which was a comment on unintended irony. Hardly escalating things, especially as no one ever replied.

So put away the broad brush please.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

/
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2008, 11:26:53 PM »
/

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2008, 12:10:18 AM »

Lorraine wrote:
@ the_leander

Sorry, didn't mean to keep things so broad. I just put all your names together because your posts were all part of a certain chain.

No worries. :-)

Lorraine wrote:
My mistake. Sorry again. (Lol, maybe this is another form of escalation: misunderstanding)

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Tbh I tend to think of all this as pretty unnecessary myself, this whole red/blue whatever camps, at one time for me was important, but no longer, so my comment was simply on someone saying something deeply ironic unintentionally, because it did actually make me laugh out loud.

My view on this is quite simple: Use what you want, do what you want, so long as you're not hurting anyone (including yourself) whilst doing it.  :-)

And maybe, just maybe, have a little fun whilst you're at it  :-)

--ninjar edits for spazzed tags
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2008, 01:56:07 AM »

Hans_ wrote:

Oh, I perfectly understood that you were talking about Joe 'the computer user' (reread my post). What I was saying is that it is interesting to us. It would probably be interesting to a larger group if they knew what was going on. Whilst I don't see the Amiga becoming a mainstream system again (maybe in the distant future, who knows), I think that it is possible for our hobby community to grow.

Hans

And there I perfectly agree. MorphOS AmigaOS 4.x is far better than many ppl think. Everyday usability is not as bad as some say. Look, I recently bought an Eee 900A and while I like the device in general I am rather surprised of the bad shape of that Xandros and the instability of many apps. I very often need to kill apps and I don't do anything special on that device other than surfing the web and use Star Office.
Setting up the WLAN at work (uses a vpn identification) was rather difficult (and I am not a Joe average computer guy I'd say, but have pretty some knowledge).
Linux advocates will say, everything is possible with Linux - they are right. But it is *not* possible for an average user.
Nevertheles Asus sells these devices. If asus can, I'd say "yes we can (tm)!" ;-).
Seriously, MorphOS/AOS lacks pretty something in the web domain (most importantly flash) but for music, mails, chatting, youtube, pictures, video, rather simple games (which are played most anyway) both sytsems are quite usable (at least I use MorphOS as my main system). I guess even for an advanced Joe Average. Sure these systems are not won't become mainstream, but a bit more selfesteem (while keeping real) would be a good thing.

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2008, 05:01:18 AM »
I only started using Windows (XP Pro) regularly about 3 years ago.  Xp SP2 is very stable and runs very well. Prior I  was doing everything on AmigaOS 3.9.  I also played around with MacOS 8.1, usually under shapeshifter.  On all systems I didn't have to piss-fart around trying to install hardware or edit text files with incomprehensible names or commands. More recently over 12-18 months I have dabbled with Linux in the hope of recapturing the Amiga intuitivenes.  Well what a joke:   just try to install a Linux driver, edit a monitor config, or fix somtehing when it inevitably fails, and watch all of your spare time disappear into the vortex of eternity..Linux is not a consumer-level OS, yet never will be as long as its not possible to do EVERYTHING you want without going into the command line.

Offline amigaksi

• Show only replies by amigaksi
    • http://www.krishnasoft.com
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2008, 09:33:22 AM »
by Lorraine on 2008/11/10 16:34:09
>Yes I also am stuck in the functional PC ways of today, >with Windows XP being my primary OS. Shame on me
>@ amigaksi
>
>I use Windows every day but I don't really like the way >it's dominant - maybe why I'm so stuck in the past with my >hobby.

I use Windows 3.11 networked to another Windows XP machine.  Windows 3.11 is not 'dominant' and lets you do whatever you want with the machine and also allows me to run real-mode DOS.  I don't consider this nor using Amiga as "stuck in the past".  Windows 3.11 is also not prone to viruses/spyware as most of those are 32-bit apps so you don't need to constantly have some antivirus software hogging up 50% of your CPU time and there's no I/O protection on the ports so everything is as fast as possible.  I use hardware that is (was) standard so I don't need any drivers (sound blaster, IDE HDs, VESA-compatible VGA, etc.).  In fact, I backed up my entire Windows 3.11 OS on one 1.44MB floppy disk (and can boot from it).  I still need to have XP running because of "others".  Believe it or not you can directly write to the Sound Blaster I/O ports and VGA ports and create real-time sound and visual effects like on Amiga/Atari although not as exact and not with as much control.  I believe creativity in general took a hit by making standards at API level rather than at hardware level.  
Some things in the past are better than what's in the present so "stuck in the past" has no meaning in regards to technology.  I prefer computers that are simple so complicated programs can be written without having to worry about the complications of the processor.  I suggest that Intel drop the L1 and L2 caches, power management, branch prediction caches, and few other things from their processors.  They should slow down their processors so that each instruction executes in fixed amount of time or can easily be predicted as to the number of cycles.  I am pretty sure they can do 1 Ghz machine and run all of RAM at the same rate as the processor.  They can use a single branch prediction so we can predict whether a branch will occur or not and that would take care of most of tight inner loops.  Get rid of virtual/physical/linear memory bullcrap and let you align opcodes to physical memory locations (that factually exist) for optimizing code. A few more things but don't want to hog up the thread...

--------
Use PC peripherals with your amiga: http://www.mpdos.com