Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Recent site performance issues  (Read 6892 times)

Description:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
Re: Recent site performance issues
« on: July 16, 2011, 02:28:49 PM »
Wow I've had more errors today than a CUSA press release... :D

Thought at first it was a sneak attack on me account again, so I sharpened up the squirrels teeth and put on their little black balaclavas ready to launch and all out tickling stick attack... :madashell:

Luckily I read these posts first and it was a false alarm (stand down , Humprey, Albert, Jimmy and the rest of the SNP (that's Squirrel Ninja Platoon))... :)

Seems everything is fine and it's just the server/site falling apart... phew... ;)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 02:58:25 PM »
Wow... looks like Karlos has abandoned ship... :eek:

Posted a few moments ago on Wayne's site by Karlos...

I'm kinda gutted at the state of the place. I'm no so bothered about who is and who isn't flavour of the month over there; these things always go round in cycles from my experience.

What upsets me is the seeming lack of basic upkeep of the place. The cracks are really showing now, with frequent delays, db dropouts and associated errors.

I've done what I can for the place. First there was the migration and all the 3rd party xoops stuff to import. Since moving to vb, all 20 or so of classic users got short shrift, so I created a proxy just for them. The place was breached twice (injected php, nothing was added to or taken from the db) by automated attacks. Both times I was able to fix it, do the post mortem and plug whatever hole had allowed it in the first place. We've had various bugs crop up that I've fixed or worked around (that bloody shareads() thing was the worst, living as it did inside eval()'d code).

More recently, the site started to grind, so I reviewed all the basic performance stuff. And when fixing htaccess rules, slow queries, insert/update prority policies, on-the-fly image re-sampling and a dozen other aspects wasn't enough, I started a "donut" cache project to try and reduce the query overhead. In the end, the latter needs much more work to be reliable and robust. I was going to look into that this weekend.

And then it hit me. Why am I even bothering? It's not as if *I* own the place and as far as I can tell, there's nothing actually wrong with it that couldn't be fixed by getting a heavier duty hosting package.

So, yesterday I logged out for the first time since it migrated.

Full Link...

Karlos Abandons Ship...

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 06:47:25 PM »
@ Desiv

I sure as hell hope Karlos aint giving it up altogether, that guy works his arse off round here all hours of the day and night keeping things running as smooth as he can, hopefully he's just taking a well earned break like you say otherwise I dread to think how this place would keep afloat (technically wise I mean) without him... :)

Apart from Karlos & Argo the other so called mods don't seem to bother their arse with the site "SlvrDrgn" or whatever he's called pops in here less than Brigadoon makes an appearance, perhaps it time for some new more dedicated mods to help out who can devote more time to the site along with the new server, I vote for for Xdelusion & J_Golden as both these guys are well liked, fair & decent guys that all here would respect along with Karlos & Argo... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 06:50:58 PM »
Quote from: AmigaHeretic;649847
You're such a -=Moderated=- Franko.  He said no such thing.  All I see is a post about all the work he's done.  Looks like he just took a breather for a minute.  Sometimes we get really deep into something.  Looks like he sees the best decision is not software patches and repairs, but hardware.  

We all need a break sometimes.  

Stop being a -=Moderated=- troll sometimes.

-=Moderated=- I never said anything bad about him -=Moderated=-... :rolleyes:

Gawd... it's -=Moderated=- like you that really need to take a bloody long hard look in a mirror and see what -=Moderated=- you are, -=Moderated=-...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 12:07:03 AM by Argo »

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 06:58:48 PM »
Quote from: AmigaHeretic;649850
:roflmao:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... so they say but in your case it's more of Imitation is just a sad wee nebbit faced jobbie who can't come up with anything original even after rubbing his two brain cells together... :roflmao:

PS: at least your last post proves you do have a slight sense of humour even though you are right wee fandan at times... ;)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 07:08:44 PM »
@ AmigaHairyDick -=Moderated=-

Try harder wee man, cause yer mince at this game ya wee -=Moderated=-... :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 12:22:31 AM by Argo »