Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hyperion Entertainment CVBA and Amiga Inc. reach settlement  (Read 16095 times)

Description:

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
Re: Hyperion Entertainment CVBA and Amiga Inc. reach settlement
« Reply #89 from previous page: October 25, 2009, 05:35:37 PM »
Quote from: persia;527274
@bhoggett

When I entered the Amiga World it was because it was on the bleeding edge, that edge is so far away now that it is an unreachable goal, so why bother, Hyperion have a market that wants on a few changes, a retro OS that can use more modern hardware and one in which they can do a few modernish things, that's a doable thing.  That appears to be Hyperions target.  

And that market doesn't care about price, they'll pay what it takes.
Sure, but is it a 'market'? Do sales even cover the cost of development? I seriously doubt it.

Not that it matters. I agree that Hyperion are only interested in the people already committed to their strategy, which is exactly why the rest of us are going to read the above news and just go "Meh". It makes no difference to us because we know Hyperion will do nothing to make the platform more accessible.

With Amiga Inc., AmigaOS would have been in the hands of a company incapable of doing anything progressive. With Hyperion, it is in the hands of a company unwilling to do anything progressive - at least going by their track record so far.

Accord to Hyperion's website they have an exclusive license to the name AmigaOS. Meaning that the name AmigaOS still belongs to Amiga Inc, so Amiga Inc being the owner of the name could conceivably still produce an AmigaOS and they still own Classic AmigaOS.
Actually, the exclusive part of that license means Amiga Inc cannot produce their own version of AmigaOS unless that licensing agreement is terminated. We are not party to the terms and conditions of the deal, so it would be a matter of speculation as to what could legally constitute a reason to terminate the agreement. Hyperion don't own the brand or the name, but they are the only ones who can produce AmigaOS.

Obviously this would not affect existing licensing agreements, such as the one under which Cloanto distribute the Classic AmigaOS.

@EDanaII

Yes, MorphOS is in the same boat, but they are unaffected by this story.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 05:38:19 PM by bhoggett »
Bill Hoggett

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2009, 12:47:31 AM »
Classic Amiga OS is unaffected by this agreement, Hyperion never owed it and never pretended to own it.  It remains in the hands of Amiga Inc.  The only right Hyperion won to Classic Amiga OS was the right to use code from 3.1 that it used to produce 4.  AmigaOS 4 and Classic AmigaOS belong to different companies.

It would be interesting to actually read the document that was signed to understand what exclusive means in this instance.  Remember it's lawyers writing the agreement, not people with common sense.  The exclusive does mean that Amiga Inc can't license another third party, but whether they can produce anything named AmigaOS in their own right would have to be found in the agreement itself.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Tension

« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2009, 01:18:47 AM »
Quote from: bhoggett;527048
What we're witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

LOL that`s got to be the best quote i`ve ever heard on A.org  :-)

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2009, 11:43:49 AM »
I want to buy and install OS5 on an intel box.
OS to be booted and usable in 10 Seconds
Internet Browsing on a supported browser
Store my Photos
Play music
And that's about it.  If it was out, and it did it now. I would buy it in a flash.

Gertsy

Offline persia

« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2009, 02:24:22 PM »
Added it to my signature!

Quote from: Tension;527314
LOL that`s got to be the best quote i`ve ever heard on A.org  :-)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Dandy

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
Hyperion Entertainment CVBA and Amiga Inc. reach settlement
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2009, 10:32:42 AM »
Quote from: Tron2k2;526528

@Wayne

I really couldn't say what Amiga are doing for money.  

Launder it?
I strongly suspect AInc's main purpose was to serve as money laundring machine or tax-depletion-model for Pentti's doubious money transactions.

It makes me wonder why they don't get it together

Incompetence or an indication that they never intended to really be a productive company.

and become the games/apps portal for Android phones-Amiga did actually invent the iPhone app store concept, if the execution (and to be fair, the technology and vision on the part of 'partner' companies) was lacking.  

LoL!
I've never been interested phonies and never will...
All I want is a powerfull desktop or tower!

One of the biggest complaints about non-iPhone OSes and the equipment that they run on, is no centralized app store.  

So you really like the idea having to pay each time you - lets say - write an e-mail on your phonie?
Or having to pay each time you want to play mp3s on it?
Or ...

Once again Amiga invents it,

All they ever invented was how to rip 50 € for fraudulous coupon schemes from Amigans and loads hollow marketing fluff.

I go off on this cel phone tangent because Amiga themselves supposedly went off on it several years ago.  Supposedly they had a crew of East Indian programmers working on whatever it was they were/are working on.  if their AA concept could work seamlessly with one executable on RIM devices as well as on Android, they'd be sitting on fat stacks of cash pretty quickly.

Just annother indication that they never intended to produce anything tangible...
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2009, 02:23:26 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;528916
I want to buy and install OS5 on an intel box.
OS to be booted and usable in 10 Seconds
Internet Browsing on a supported browser
Store my Photos
Play music
And that's about it.  If it was out, and it did it now. I would buy it in a flash.

Gertsy

Me too!!

Internet browsing, e-mail & newsgroup clients.
Store AND edit photos
Play & import music ala an interface similar to iTunes
Run the occasional database or calendar app

Offline persia

Re: Hyperion and Amiga Inc. reach settlement
« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2009, 02:34:14 PM »
Amiga Development India is actually in Pune, which most people would consider central India.  So you really should have said "Supposedly they had a crew of Central Indian programmers working on whatever it was they were/are working on."

Just for the geographically minded....

@Wayne sorry to hear about your troubles :-(  I'm not exactly sitting on fat stacks of cash either at the moment.  The United States economy is pretty much failing-all the money's at the top and staying there.

I really couldn't say what Amiga are doing for money.  Apparently, not selling OS4.  It makes me wonder why they don't get it together and become the games/apps portal for Android phones-Amiga did actually invent the iPhone app store concept, if the execution (and to be fair, the technology and vision on the part of 'partner' companies) was lacking.  

One of the biggest complaints about non-iPhone OSes and the equipment that they run on, is no centralized app store.  Once again Amiga invents it, then Apple comes out with it five years later and acts like they thought of it :-/

I go off on this cel phone tangent because Amiga themselves supposedly went off on it several years ago.  Supposedly they had a crew of East Indian programmers working on whatever it was they were/are working on.  if their AA concept could work seamlessly with one executable on RIM devices as well as on Android, they'd be sitting on fat stacks of cash pretty quickly.

Sadly, I kinda doubt they have the gumption to get this done.  But I'd happily be proven wrong..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]