Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Inc - An open letter to the Amiga community  (Read 16904 times)

Description:

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
Re: Amiga Inc - An open letter to the Amiga community
« Reply #119 from previous page: October 05, 2007, 07:16:24 AM »
@BootWB
 Amiga Incorporated is an anagram of 'A Dramatic Ripe Goon' and 'A Maniac Tripod Ogre', but I think yours sums them up best.

Back on topic..
They say a bad workman always blames his tools.
Here we see a bad businessman blaming all his business partners and potential customers.
On schedule, and suing

Offline Steril707

• Show only replies by Steril707
« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2007, 08:34:15 AM »
"Ashtray on a motorbike" seems to be a popular phrase in the Amiga community around these days..  :-D

Anyway, with stuff like Minimig and AROS and lot's of other goodies around the corner, the future doesn't look that bad at all anymore for the Amiga legacy.

Open source is the way to go, and i have the feeling that a lot of people seem to get the message right now.

The first time in years the Amiga will go unhampered by greedy one-man corporations.

So, who cares about what Mr. McEwen has to say anyway?

I certainly don't do.
Check out my free Vectrex homebrews on http://www.borrmann.in  :-)

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2007, 10:49:03 AM »
I'm sorry, but he should have kept his frakking mouth shut. I can think of several people that attempted to give him an out, myself included, but he ignored it.

Bill McEwen is full of piss and vinegar.

I'd believe G. Dubya, before I'd believe anything this man has to say and I don't believe a *WORD* out of the mouth of my {bleep}mander and Chief.  :getmad:

[edit]

At least 3DRealms was smart enough to say, "When it's done".  :lol:
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2007, 02:26:08 PM »
Maybe there is some truth in what McBill has to say after all! I managed to find this picture of what could be Bill hard at work overseeing the development of OS5:

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2007, 07:35:36 PM »
:-( I don't believe that I've ever seen so much vitriol from the community as this.  There are also many assumptions and false logic going around the thread.

Have any of you guys ever signed a Non Disclosure Agreement? (NDA?)  It means that you are contractually forbidden to discuss something with others.  That means not on the Internet message boards, either.  Some folks disregard them, of course, while others honor them.  The point being that just because you haven't heard of it on the Internet doesn't mean that it isn't happening.

It's never been my practice to judge things too quickly.  It certainly seems silly to weigh the opinions of message board regulars over those of venture capitalists who have enough on the ball to create the wealth that they're investing in Amiga, Inc.  Simply put, they have more information than we do.

Instead, I'll continue to lurk the boards until the lawsuit is resolved, and things have a chance to progress.  We'll see what happens then.  Meanwhile, it's too soon too call the turn on this one, though all to many haven't let that stop them.

@McEwen:
 ;-) Thanks for sharing this.  I look forward to learning more, preferably soon.

[Edited spelling typo.]

Offline TNovosel

• Show only replies by TNovosel
« Reply #124 on: October 06, 2007, 10:03:06 AM »
I love "Kill Bill" movie .... or maybe only name.?! ;-)
A4000PPC,A1200PPCx2,A1240,A1230x2,A500x4,MacMini+MOS

Offline guru-666

• Show only replies by guru-666
« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2007, 05:29:00 PM »
whatever.

Amiga Inc needs to be banned.  They are worse than dommy.

Offline scrottie

• Show only replies by scrottie
    • http://slowass.net
« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2007, 08:52:59 PM »
"acquired the tangible and intangible assets of the Amiga business"...

Every company that buys Amiga seems to aspire to be what Commodore was.  Latching onto some great technology, guarding it closely, trumping it up with pomp and bluster, delivering too little constantly to the market and telling the fans that they're lucky the company did that for them.  &*%@ that.  Commodore sucked and is nothing to aspire to.  I fully realize no one is going to get a fat wad of investment money without being in the mindset of monopolizing and guarding the infamous "intellectual property", but, please, stop acting surprised that the people you're hoping to some day sell to are happy about the arrangement.

Again, fully aware that investment money would never support this, but there are a hell of a lot of talented developers with roots in the Amiga running around today, and their energies are divided; some are working on OS reimplementations, other on portable hardware emulators, and one guy recently went public with a gate array re-implementation of most of the A500 hardware.  Efforts are divided to insane levels.  The vast majority of people that want to do something with or for the Amiga are shut out and forced into being competition, forced to fragment the market beyond just fragmenting efforts.  Any "value" still in Amiga isn't in the intellectual property but in the spirit of the people of cut their teeth on the thing.  That's your asset.

Let's have a little thought experiment here.  What if, rather than hiding behind your curtain working on a product that will be a real contender in a wide array of markets, you worked with the community on everything that's already out there, and came to market, doing us a favor by helping sell those things?

Someone was working on a Dragaonball (200+ mhz 68000) accelerator card.  Let's say that gone done.  Let's say you worked with the guy re-implemented the chipset in PGA logic.  You now have a whole system you can market, without any tedious porting to PPC or creating emulation layers -- maybe that stuff happens later, but no one is waiting for it.  Again, you're selling what exists now, to people who are extremely interested in this kind of stuff.  Package the thing with 16 megs of video RAM and a stock ATI card with retargetable graphics and you'll have an Amiga that can spit out great resolution -- it won't be faster than anything on the market, but it'll be a killer Amiga.

Looking at all of this from the perspective of what your company could be expected to do and what they're trying to do, all of these days and political run-ins are expected and forgivable; looking at it from the perspective of what little it would take to please the community -- new hardware, semi-frequent OS releases without anything revoluation, like OS 3.9 -- and what the community itself is capable of, your lack of tangible product is inexcusable and unforgivable.

You keep saying that the whole matter could be solved if only they'd work with you.  Hypocrite.  There are people more passionate about Amiga than you.  *This* whole problem could be resolved instantly if you would just work with them.

-scott

Offline a-pex

• Show only replies by a-pex
« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2007, 09:33:21 AM »
I think it is time for the third part of KILL BILL, this time Uma Thurman will destroy the evil headquarter of the biggest multimedia company on the world. ;-)

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2007, 07:05:29 PM »
It's all very interesting, but they could release OS4 and OS5 and it won't make much difference so long as it only runs on PPC hardware. Move the OS to Intel and forget about PPC.

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline auzieman

• Lifetime
    • Show only replies by auzieman
    • http://www.tagworld.com/auzman
« Reply #129 on: October 10, 2007, 11:40:25 PM »
So just curious here, but why would Ami Inc want to delay all these years?

If you poke around the net you may find the court proceedings and from what I can tell Hyperion is going for the whole enchilada, not just trying to get paid.

Sadly we all suffer over this, no matter who is really to blame..

But think about it, if your point was to produce an OS and Hardware why delay it? After all thats your bottom line..

:idea:

As far as OS5, what when etc will there be a new motherboard? its 4th quarter, and from what I have seen of OS4 maybe we aren't missing anything..

Maybe its time to move on past it, let the court stuff dictate any OS4 <> 5 compatibility and get us all new stuff..

:rtfm:
I want a low end say 200mhz - 700mhz x 128mb ram setup for dirt cheap so we can all start looking at whatever OS its going to be and helping get apps ported to it..

Then once we have more to work with move up to some multi ghz gb setups..

as it stands now we have nothing, but a few A1's and emulation Oh and Aros.. but its more vacant than OS3.9 - 4 :rtfm:

Offline theweeone

• Show only replies by theweeone
« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2007, 08:42:36 PM »
All I want now is an OS4.0 that I can install on a cheap laptop. Forget dedicated hardware and get back to the original goal of AmigaDE.
:-D

Offline auzieman

• Lifetime
    • Show only replies by auzieman
    • http://www.tagworld.com/auzman
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2007, 09:12:32 PM »
Thats also a good idea,, Im pondering a euae / debian load for now..  Just so I can kick around in amikit's tweaked 3.9 setup..

At least it would feel like 4.0..

Though you need amiga forever or a full 3.9 + Roms of your own.. My last A3000 had all that except the amikit stuff..

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2007, 10:41:17 AM »
As someone who has absolutely no interest in present or future Amiga products, I just wonder if the joke isn't on Bill and AmigaInc?

Even if they do finally get something to market, isnt abundantly clear by now that besides a few hundred hardcore hangers-on (at most), the Amiga community/market has all but dried up and the intellectual property of AmigaInc become largely  irrelevant?

Dreams of shifting units in the millions were dreams even in the late 80's, when the Amiga was in its heyday - now, such thoughts verge on naivety, at best.

I'll continue to watch this train wreck with morbid fascination.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #133 on: October 22, 2007, 04:34:34 AM »
Bill is admitting that Amiga (Washington) is the same company as Amiga (Delaware), dumb ass move as ask the creditors he screwed with that move are going to take him to court with this letter...

And what is this talk of millions?  A company that has yet to deliver a single machine, or OS upgrade is talking about outselling iPhone!  The letter is pure {bleep}e.

Open letter to Bill, the old Buddhist saying "Don't just do something, sit there" doesn't work in business.  If you had millions to throw around you wouldn't be fighting over $7000 for OS/4.  Just pay Hyperion and get on with the show for cripes sake.

Final note to Bill, the ScAmiga comments were jokes, they weren't an invitation to operate your company that way.

How can anyone write such utter crap and still face the world.  Bill, nobody expects Amiga to take a share anywhere near Apple, maybe a few tens of thousands of machines if you are lucky, it's a long uphill battle to take on the leaders and you don't have the killer apps to do it.  But nobody is going to write killer apps for a machine that doesn't exist.

ACK is one person, you offered overpriced outdated machines produced by a one man company, what does that mean?  Why not let OS/4 run on old non-intel Macs?  You can pick up machines that are more powerful than what you announced for 1/2 of your price.

Clearly you are not interested in producing anything, why not set the Amiga free?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #134 on: October 22, 2007, 04:41:00 AM »
"acquired the tangible and intangible assets of the Amiga business"...

This smells, I wonder if they didn't get SCO'ed, that is they got the name and the rights to produce the OS but not the actual IP.

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts Acer got the Amiga IP in it's purchase of Gateway...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.