Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ACK And Amiga Inc. Announce New Hardware Platforms.  (Read 7119 times)

Description:

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
Neat.
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2007, 03:22:19 AM »
Except it doesn't say what the hardware is supposed to do.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: ACK And Amiga Inc. Announce New Hardware Platforms.
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2007, 03:42:44 AM »
I wonder why there is a picture of a camera up above. If Amiga became Media centric again, that would be wonderful!

I'd love to have video capturing software, as well as video editing and sequencing software for my Amiga OS!

I'd love to have an Amiga so I could run that OS! This will be amazing if Amiga is actually supporting the community for a change!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline derringer3

• Show only replies by derringer3
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2007, 08:28:53 AM »
Another promise... we already heard tons of these. I remember i bought a500 because it was the best machine (for me) at that time. And i felt that i bought the future not something old machine.
Amiga 500: 68030@14MHz/68882@40MHz/ 5.5MB RAM/80MB HDD/Delfina FE Sound card/Kickstart 3.1/OS 3.1

Macmini 10,1 PPC 1.58GHz, 1GB Ram, 80GB HDD 5400rpm, Ati Radeon 9200/32MB, , MorphOs 3.1

PowerBook 15" PPC 1.67GHz, 2GB Ram, 250GB HDD, ATI 9700/128MB, MorphOS 3.1

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2007, 09:05:39 AM »

Poster: AmigaMance  Posted: 2007/4/24 1:15:01

Uhm... So what happened to that appealing $300 PowerVixxen board which was announced by ACK about a year ago? It had an excellent power/money ratio...
It is abandoned?
It is the same board but go a $200 bump? Could a.inc be responsible for this bump?

Looks like that older A1200-turbo.board project has been abandoned. See Jens comment of his 'business' experience of ACK on Aw.net
http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=3721&start=120#49906

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2007, 09:05:52 AM »
@guru-666

Enjoy your "windows".... As spidy said "with great power come great responsobility" Not everybody can handel that!

Thanks for the insult. I don't dislike the unix way of doing things because I "can't handle the power", I dislike it because its inconsistent, has a needlessly steep learning curve, and still relies on design decisions that made sense when you were using a teletype but are utterly stupid in this day and age. Yes, Ubuntu provides a "nicer" front end than most linux distributions, but I still had to go in and edit cryptic text files in crypticly named directories to get all the hardware of my laptop working. Is that really better?

I used to install and upgrade computer systems and networks for businesses, and had to deal with Unix systems as part of my job, so don't tell me I "can't handle it", I just think the unix way of doing things isn't necessarily the best way of doing things, especially for home computing.

I'm not claiming AmigaOS is ready to take on Linux or Windows, btw. I love it and use it daily, but it needs some serious development work to bring it up to date. That said, if I had an OS4 laptop, i'd happily ditch XP for good and just use it again, since it does do enough for my home computing needs.

BTW, if you want to see a UNIX system that successfully hides all the UNIX badness, forget Ubuntu and buy a Mac. Apple have done a great job with OS X.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2007, 09:07:58 AM »

It is the same board but go a $200 bump? Could a.inc be responsible for this bump?

Read the press release. The low end system is not just a motherboard:

The first is a consumer entry design that will offer a complete product with a target price point of $500.00

I might be wrong, but I take that to mean a box that you just need a monitor, and perhaps mouse & kb, and off you go.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline Roondar

• Show only replies by Roondar
    • http://www.powerprograms.nl/
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2007, 10:28:51 AM »
Yes, but it doesn't say which version. OS3.1? OS4.0? OS5.0? OS1.0?

1.3 Obviously!

Orange and blue ftw!

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2007, 12:37:59 PM »
The first is a consumer entry design that will offer a complete product with a target price point of $500.00

hmmm

I might be wrong, but I take that to mean a box that you just need a monitor, and perhaps mouse & kb, and off you go.

I will speculate with you on this one it sounds more like they have completed some hardware hence complete product or else i think it would say something in the lines of complete desktop system or such..

but i may be wrong too i just find it a little too unliktely that you only need to plugg and play ...
A1200 ACA 1230

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2007, 01:06:31 PM »
New expression for you all:-

"Deja Moo!"  - The feeling you've seen/heard all this Bulls**t before!
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2007, 01:44:06 PM »
Read the press release. The low end system is not just a motherboard:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an Amiga inc press release don't forget, god only knows what you will get, if you ever get anything :crazy:
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2007, 02:20:42 PM »
Poster: xeron
BTW, if you want to see a UNIX system that successfully hides all the UNIX badness, forget Ubuntu and buy a Mac. Apple have done a great job with OS X.

I've used OS X for a while and it was nice, although a bit clunky. I've just installed Ubuntu 7 on my PC (previous versions borked on my SATA controller) and it looks like it's going to be my main OS from now. I must say installation and first usage has been very smooth. OS X has the huge advantage of only having to support the hardware Apple churns out, whereas Ubuntu (and Windows) must support a gazillion different hardware combinations. If the hardware you have is well supported by Ubuntu it's just as easy as OS X (IMHO =).

Offline lorddef

• Show only replies by lorddef
    • http://
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2007, 02:33:18 PM »
Amiga inc are mental, and if it's true (which I'm sure it is) that Adam whateverthehell refused to pay Jens for components, just write it off. The board will be an overpriced pile of wank anyway.

As for a *nix OS, I've always preferred starting with the bare minimum then building up to get my OS using tools like pkgsrc in netbsd or the ports collection in linux / free bsd. This way I know exactly whats going on.

Distros are hideous, theres too much bundled crap, everything is usually put in bizzare places and as a result you never really know exactly what's going on.
Restraining orders are just another way of saying I love you!

Offline cv643d

• Show only replies by cv643d
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2007, 04:44:19 PM »
Its 2007 now a bare text-OS with PKGSRC is no solution.
Amiga articles
"New shell. It was finished a while back, but I still see bugs, haha" - SSolie

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2007, 04:50:20 PM »
Unfortunately, everything is wrong about the Amiga market. The hardware is mostly not mainstream, the new OS is out dated, there's absolutely no useful software and the tiny user base is full of in fighting. It would take a couple billion dollars worth of development to bring the OS & software up to speed and it would need to be done by this weekend. Good luck, although you'd be better off spending the money on building a time machine to relive the Amiga glory of 1989.

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline guru-666

• Show only replies by guru-666
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2007, 07:23:31 PM »
@xeron
Buy a mac? Why I already have one...OSX (os10!) is o.k... I perfer my linux/bsd/unix strait up, thanks. I may be the only one, but I HATE that glossed over candy apple GUI. I also hate OS's that assume I'm an incompetent user... but thats just me.
I honestly sounds like you *like" windows... that's o.k.  If OS4 where availabe and able to run killer aps like Maya or houdini, I would give it a shot.  (it would also have to run my EXISTING hardware)

If you want a UNIX type system that has a nice balance between power and ease of use try ubuntu 7.01.. it's just as slick as OSX (IMHO)
http://www.ubuntu.com/  
it's free unlike OSX and will run on lots of cheap/existing hardware!

BTW I never had to touch a text file to configure my gigabit ethernet network.  I can see all my other boxes, windowsXP, OSX as well as my local NFS server... Honestly (for me) I was harder on my windows and OSX boxes!  Heck I even run some windows apps on ubuntu via wine!

I don't know who amiga-inc thinks the amiga community is but where not just a buch of out of touch freaks what will use any hardware and OS that has the amiga name on it at any cost.

Offline lorddef

• Show only replies by lorddef
    • http://
« Reply #44 from previous page: April 24, 2007, 11:47:34 PM »
Its 2007 now a bare text-OS with PKGSRC is no solution.

I don't think you're too bright. In no way does using pkgsrc restrict you to a bare text os.
Restraining orders are just another way of saying I love you!