Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Great game ala laser squad/space crusade  (Read 1815 times)

Description:

Offline runequesterTopic starter

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
Great game ala laser squad/space crusade
« on: January 22, 2011, 04:27:02 AM »
Found this little gem on aminet "final chapter" (just search it on aminet)

A nifty little turn based multiplayer game very much in the vein of space crusade (especially), laser squad etc

A decent selection of weapons, and some large battle areas to fight over. Up to 6 players. You can fight alone against robots, but that caused me to be wiped out in short order :)

Check it out

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: Great game ala laser squad/space crusade
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 05:14:49 AM »
It's like Space Crusade?

Well you got my interest, but what is the game called?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 05:21:58 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;608245
It's like Space Crusade?

Well you got my interest, but what is the game called?

Very Space Crusade'ish indeed.

Its called "Final Chapter"

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 06:16:26 AM »
Agh, I see that now, dunno how I over looked it.

I remember staying up late playing rounds of Space Hulk (at Denny's) with my friends.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Cammy

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 06:32:07 AM »
I'm going to try it out now. I'm surprised there's no entry on Hall of Light for it.
Here's the link for anyone else wanting to download it: http://aminet.net/package/game/think/FinalChapter
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 06:43:13 AM »
it takes a bit to get it figured out, but the interface is pretty easy. Do read the guide file though, as it explains pretty much everything.

Fighting the AI controlled robots is blatantly unfair, but at least you wont have to play both sides yourself :)

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 07:13:18 PM »
Anyone care to post some screenshots or a review?

Offline Khephren

• Show only replies by Khephren
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 07:28:46 PM »
Thread on EAB with screenshots:  http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=12222

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 07:40:51 PM »
ah yeah, that thread covers it very well.

Basically, you have a squad of 8 marines. You can play up to 6 players.

You outfit your marines from a selection of various weapons, that seem to be pretty well balanced, as well as a few extra gadgets of equipment (mines, explosives, targeting system, shield etc)
2 of your guys are sergeants who are a bit faster and tougher, and can carry an extra item. 1 guy is the captain who is the big badass.

The game is entirely turn based. Each guy has a certain number of moves, and can attack, pick up items, open or close doors etc throughout his turn.
Unlike space crusade, you don't have to finish your move in one go. So a marine can move 2 spaces, fire his autogun twice, move 3 more spaces, open a door and then fire a third shot f.x.

You can go back and forth between your guys as well.

There's quite a bit of creative warfare that can be done too:
Blast weapons can be targeted at the floor, to catch the bastard hiding behind a corner.
Mines can be set to block access to an area.
Explosives can be set, to be later shot or triggered by another explosion to create a nice big boom.

The maps are littered by things that explode, crates to search for artifacts (points), superior weapons, or the occasional booby trap.

Graphics are clear and good for a PD game. Your little marine dudes look like they face the right directions (8 looks for each guy, depending on which way he is facing, although facing doesn't have an effect in the game).
Items on the ground are easy enough to make out as well, and there's an overview map too.

Controls are pretty easy and very user friendly. You can select a marine by clicking on him in the squad overview area on the right side of the screen, or just click on him in the battle area. Simple icons with text show what options you have (move, fire, pick up etc).
Clicking on an item in the battle area shows you what it is, in case you forgot what is what. Scroll with the mouse (I'd have liked to use arrow keys to scroll too but thats hardly a big omission).

There is also a very comprehensive, easy to follow and well written help file explaining almost all the mechanics in detail. You really can't get confused here :)