Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Interest in buying a Mac version of Amiga OS4.x  (Read 13975 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Interest in buying a Mac version of Amiga OS4.x
« Reply #89 from previous page: August 13, 2011, 05:29:38 AM »
Quote from: drHirudo;654372
HI does not matter much in which of these countries, because in any of them you will have a hard time getting fully working Mac for MOS except may be in Poland.
Really that hard to come by, huh? Still, I'd think that even shipping a big-box Power Mac internationally would be cheaper than $2300 USD...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2011, 05:50:26 AM »
IMHO, the real sellable value Hyperion has is in the 68k area, but they don't seem to take advantage of it.

They could improve some things every year or two and we'd all go buy a copy.

They could partner with Minimig dealers, FPGA Replay and Natami to supply the OS to shipping, upgraded machines that are about to exist.  But they don't.

I'm not sure what pipe dream they have for PPC, but if it hasn't clicked in the last 15 years, I just don't see it happening.

MorphOS seems to have that market already nailed down.  Competing for the used Mac Amiga crossover market doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2011, 06:11:04 AM »
NO because it breaks a simple rule in my house "NO APPLE PRODUCTS ALLOWED".& yes that includes old & obsolete models too,period:afro:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 06:14:28 AM by klx300r »
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2011, 06:28:14 AM »
Quote from: Duce;654370
tl;dr warning

I imagine a fair number of users would be genuinely interested in OS 4 if support for the PPC Mac's was there.  The cost of hardware for OS 4.1x in the form of anything still or soon to be manufactured (SAM, x1000) is a massive stumbling block.  I don't ever see it happening, unfortunately.  I'd love to be able to run Morph and OS4 on my PPC Mac, and vice versa on my SAM 440ep.  Both are real nice OS's to use, and both HW platforms are quite nice despite the fact the modern computer community has passed them both by, spec wise in relation to the atypical Ghz wars on the PC side.  Having a dual boot Morph/OS 4 rig would be a real treat for the community.  I'd gladly invest in OS 4 for PPC Mac's.

I say that as a guy that was likely one of the first here to buy a SAM 440ep/OS 4, and I don't regret buying it at all even though I am fully aware most people find them excessively expensive for what they pack spec wise, on paper.  Real hard to justify in dollars and cents terms.

In the grand scheme of things, adoption of OS 4 has stagnated due to expensive, specific hardware.  This relatively low number of users due to said expensive HW has also caused a stagnantion in software development (see the Morph OWB vs. OS4 Timberwolf/Firefox debate).

It is very hard for me to recommend a SAM/OS4 system to someone looking for a "taste of a modern Amiga" for $1000 full built when a Mac Mini and MorphOS can be had for a couple hundred bucks, tops.  MorphOS is a very nice OS to use on commodity PPC Mac's.  Niche market HW like the x1000 and SAM's won't ever come down much, price wise.  Limited run specialty boards are damned expensive to make, where as Mac's are very easy to come by for dirt cheap.

I use OS4 and MorphOS, and enjoy both greatly - but bang for buck goes to MorphOS by a wide margin.  What you choose to use merely depends on your preference and your budget, to me.  I have not regged MorphOS yet, since I would like to pick up a higher end Mac than this old basemodel Mini and licenses are not easily transferable, but will do so once I get a PPC Mac I consider a "keeper".

Just my 2 bits, there's room for everyone really - but there's no denying that OS4 would be used a heck of a lot more by the community if it ran on the old "surplus" PPC Mac's.

A very good explanation that I would bet applies to many users.    Great post Duce!

Even people like me that dislike certain things about certain people within Hyperion, might consider buying a copy of OS4, if it ran on the G4 MacMini and/or the G4 PowerMacs.  If Hyperion were smart, they would port OS4 to the G4 PowerBook (like the 17", 1.67GHz G4 that I am typing this on) and try to beat the MorphOS Dev. Team to a release for that platform.  I can understand that the number of OS4 developers is limited to just a handful of coders that might only be able to write code during their spare time and that with the soon to be ready for beta testing X1000, there might not be enough programmers to also work both the X1000 port and another port to some G4 Mac model, but if there are enough programmers working on OS4 to split them up, working half on the X1000 and the other half on a port to one or more G4 (or better, a G5) Mac models, Hyperion should really consider doing that.  It would gain them many more OS4 sales than the X1000 will ever earn for them.  Having the largest user-base is a big advantage toward getting more OS4 software written by third party developers too.

I doubt that any of this is going to happen, so I don't mind writing these things down in a forum post, even when I am an avid MorphOS supporter.:)
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2011, 06:53:26 AM »
Quote from: Piru;654257
Can you please stop acting like an idiot?

Hint: The search jacadcaps made specifically searches for powermac with PowerPC G4.

No, I don't think he is capable of stopping acting like an idiot (if searching through all of his forum posts is any indication).  Maybe he is an .............?

Replying to his posts are certainly a waste of time, except to correct his inaccurate statements for the sake of other people.

Offline Forcie

• Show only replies by Forcie
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2011, 07:06:21 AM »
Quote from: drHirudo;654372
To answer the OP question: AmigaOS 4 on PPC Mac? No, I prefer it on new hardware. It is irrelevant if my MicroAmigaOne (from which I am typing this) is old or new hardware. I bought it first hand.

So, you might as well change the thread and poll title to "Yet another poll about OS4 on x86"....

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2011, 07:13:02 AM »
Has there ever been an explanation by Hyperion on why they never ported to Apple PPC's? I'm guessing maybe they are reluctant as then they would be in direct comparison with a (supposedly) superior product? I'm sure with the Amiga trademark on their side they could end up dominating over MOS if they wanted to. so why did they hold back? Respect for MOS?
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2011, 07:13:03 AM »
I'm happy with my MorphOS machine. Though I would like to think that some day I'll also have an X1000 to run OS 4 on. Sounds like some rather unique hardware...

...like classic Amiga.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline drHirudo

• Show only replies by drHirudo
    • http://hirudov.com
« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2011, 08:41:20 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;654382
Has there ever been an explanation by Hyperion on why they never ported to Apple PPC's? I'm guessing maybe they are reluctant as then they would be in direct comparison with a (supposedly) superior product? I'm sure with the Amiga trademark on their side they could end up dominating over MOS if they wanted to. so why did they hold back? Respect for MOS?

AmigaOS 4 on Apple PPC hardware was running long before MOS was ported to Apple Macs. What comparison you are talking about?

P.S. I agree, both MOS and AmigaOS 4 and not comparable with OS X. They are in totally different leagues. OS X have big company staying behind it, while MOS and AmigaOS 4 are amateur and hobby projects.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2011, 08:58:39 AM »
I have not used OS4 to say, but I can say that MorphOS really doesn't feel amateurish to me in the least bit. Some of the software written for it most certainly is, but not the OS itself.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2011, 09:05:48 AM »
Quote from: drHirudo;654391
AmigaOS 4 on Apple PPC hardware was running long before MOS was ported to Apple Macs. What comparison you are talking about?

P.S. I agree, both MOS and AmigaOS 4 and not comparable with OS X. They are in totally different leagues. OS X have big company staying behind it, while MOS and AmigaOS 4 are amateur and hobby projects.

I wasn't talking about osx. i was talking about comparing MOS vs AOS4.x because apparently MOS is superior to AOS4.x.

Also i didn't know that AOS4.x was ever on PPC Apples. But i guess my question is why didn't they choose Apple hardware over the long term as competitors of MOS?
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2011, 09:21:04 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;654393
I wasn't talking about osx. i was talking about comparing MOS vs AOS4.x because apparently MOS is superior to AOS4.x.

Also i didn't know that AOS4.x was ever on PPC Apples. But i guess my question is why didn't they choose Apple hardware over the long term as competitors of MOS?

You are right, OS4 was never finished or released for any PPC Mac models.  There was a project (Moana) that was started, but it was canceled by Hyperion, or the few developers that were working on it and it was reported that the files were stolen from a laptop and posted to some "Pirate" file sharing sites.  Some people have claimed that they have gotten the pirated files to boot an old version of OS4 on a PPC Macmini, but since it is lacking most of the needed drivers that were never finished, it is unusable, for the most part and no one bothers with it anymore.

As usual, DrHurido is just spreading more false information.  He is a great source of FUD.  No one outside of Hyperion, or the developers that were working on the Moana project before it got canceled know why it was canceled, and none of them are talking about why it was canceled.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 09:23:47 AM by amigadave »

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2011, 09:25:08 AM »
I'd rather each team think of them selves as cooperators rather than competitors.

Offline drHirudo

« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2011, 09:30:06 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;654398
You are right, OS4 was never finished or released for any PPC Mac models.  There was a project (Moana) that was started, but it was canceled by Hyperion, or the few developers that were working on it and it was reported that the files were stolen from a laptop and posted to some "Pirate" file sharing sites.  Some people have claimed that they have gotten the pirated files to boot an old version of OS4 on a PPC Macmini, but since it is lacking most of the needed drivers that were never finished, it is unusable, for the most part and no one bothers with it anymore.

As usual, DrHurido is just spreading more false information.  He is a great source of FUD.  No one outside of Hyperion, or the developers that were working on the Moana project before it got canceled know why it was canceled, and none of them are talking about why it was canceled.

I am not speading false informaton or FUD - I said running, not publicly available. Probably the same FUD coming from the MOS supporters about MOS running on G5 and PowerBooks is not seen as false information in your double standards. But thanks for clarifying that MOS people including Piru are spreading FUD all the time. Not that it was unknown fact. And thanks for showing to us what hypocrite you are.
Regards

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2011, 09:50:44 AM »
Quote from: drHirudo;654400
And thanks for showing to us what hypocrite you are.
Regards

@amigadave
Coming from such an expert on the subject I would take that as an compliment.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline drHirudo

« Reply #104 on: August 13, 2011, 11:23:58 AM »
Finally, the truth spoken by an avid MOS supporter:

Right on my Amiga.
Heh

Final image in his post:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 11:30:27 AM by drHirudo »