Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Interest in buying a Mac version of Amiga OS4.x  (Read 13973 times)

Description:

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
Re: Interest in buying a Mac version of Amiga OS4.x
« Reply #74 from previous page: August 12, 2011, 06:40:33 PM »
Quote from: mulder77;654162
I set up a poll at Micropoll to find out who is interested in buying a Mac version of Amiga OS4.x.

Ugh... Ehh...

Yes, but ONLY if it supports a G4 laptop. If they do for a Mac desktop but not a laptop, then absolutely not interested.
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline pampers

• Show only replies by pampers
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2011, 07:22:16 PM »
Jaca, Piru - talking with this ignorant is pointless. Better go outside, have a pint :)

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2011, 07:23:38 PM »
still if I wanted a MorphOS system, I would say there are plenty of PowerMac and at a very low price.. I could do with less than 1 gigahertz

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2011, 07:59:09 PM »
I voted no.

MorphOS is already available for that platform, plus it seems to be improving faster and they seem to be more responsive to the community.  It's hard to tell OS4 exists at all between yearly press releases.

Go to x86 or ARM faster/better than Aros or do a real 68K update and I'll spend some money with them again.

Offline hbarcellos

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2011, 08:59:19 PM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;654309
I voted no.

MorphOS is already available for that platform, plus it seems to be improving faster and they seem to be more responsive to the community.  It's hard to tell OS4 exists at all between yearly press releases.

Go to x86 or ARM faster/better than Aros or do a real 68K update and I'll spend some money with them again.

How long between Amiga OS classic versions?
1 to 2?
2 to 3?

Why do we need to have constant updates for an architecture that tries to revive the golden Commodore years? Just to watch the latest blockbuster trailer on html5's youtube?
}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2011, 09:27:55 PM »
Quote from: hbarcellos;654313
How long between Amiga OS classic versions?
1 to 2?
2 to 3?

1.0 1985
minor updates
1.3 1987 (pretty major update)
2.0 1990
minor updates
3.0 1992
minor updates
3.5 & 3.9 2000

Then 11 years and counting of nothing 68k.

Why do we need to have constant updates for an architecture that tries to revive the golden Commodore years? Just to watch the latest blockbuster trailer on html5's youtube?

If they can bring HTML5 and youtube to 68k Amigas, then yeah, I'll pay for that. ;)

3.9 still needs a lot of patches before real use and it desperately needs a new kickstart.

There is plenty of room for improvements that I'm willing to pay for.

The whole point of the thread was to tell Hyperion what we'd want, so there's my input, nothing more.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2011, 09:45:19 PM »
Personally, even if OS4.1 was available for a Mac, I'd still use MorphOS.
While there are a few pieces of software that only run under the "real" AmigaOS, none are compelling enough to encourage me to give up what I believe is a better OS.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline hbarcellos

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2011, 10:02:24 PM »
What are we trying to achieve?

Even Apple didn't had a modern browser, neither nice games or real useful apps until this iOS hype that drastically increased their users base.
}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2011, 10:03:40 PM »
Quote from: Tension;654266
To those idiots who say 'PowerPC isn't dead cos sony and nintendo and cisco use them' etc etc,  just listen so the idiotspeak you are speaking and stop being idiots. There will never be a mainstream PowerPC personal computer again. EVER. Too much water under the bridge now.

OMG! We have a medium at A.org. Rejoice! The prophet has spoken....

....geeesh, get over yourself.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2011, 10:10:31 PM »
Quote from: Framiga;654292
i only said (like every un-happy macmini with 32MB of vram owner) that with that amount of vram, you wont enjoy MOS ... until you reduce resolution, eye candies/themes and IIRC compositing.

You dont have to reduce resolution or change themes. With 32MB VRAM it might be good idea to turn off 3D layers (composition) which means falling back to standard Amiga-like layers system.

I ran MorphOS on Peg1 with 32MB Radeon 7000V for years and it is enough. Today I have got 32MB gfx card on my Efika and it is just fine. I just dont use 3D layers on it but 1920x1200 with 32-bit colours is perfectly fine without switching themes.

And MorphOS manages VRAM better than OS4 btw. (as MorphOS uses more flexible system) so you can not mix your mA1 experience with MorphOS here.

I would recommend Mac mini w/ 32MB VRAM for MorphOS any given day.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 10:17:42 PM by itix »
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline nicholas

« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2011, 01:28:49 AM »
Quote from: jorkany;654234
drHirudo lives in Bulgaria. Hope that explains things.

I always thought he was Hungarian for some reason.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline DavidF215

• Show only replies by DavidF215
    • Cross Timbers Haven
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2011, 01:31:18 AM »
@original

I was thinking about this yesterday when I was looking through all the Amiga options. If it was available, then I would buy it. I voted.
AmigaOS enthusiast since 1993.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2011, 03:18:06 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;654346
I always thought he was Hungarian for some reason.

HAHA! I thought he was Japanese.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2011, 04:39:41 AM »
tl;dr warning

I imagine a fair number of users would be genuinely interested in OS 4 if support for the PPC Mac's was there.  The cost of hardware for OS 4.1x in the form of anything still or soon to be manufactured (SAM, x1000) is a massive stumbling block.  I don't ever see it happening, unfortunately.  I'd love to be able to run Morph and OS4 on my PPC Mac, and vice versa on my SAM 440ep.  Both are real nice OS's to use, and both HW platforms are quite nice despite the fact the modern computer community has passed them both by, spec wise in relation to the atypical Ghz wars on the PC side.  Having a dual boot Morph/OS 4 rig would be a real treat for the community.  I'd gladly invest in OS 4 for PPC Mac's.

I say that as a guy that was likely one of the first here to buy a SAM 440ep/OS 4, and I don't regret buying it at all even though I am fully aware most people find them excessively expensive for what they pack spec wise, on paper.  Real hard to justify in dollars and cents terms.

In the grand scheme of things, adoption of OS 4 has stagnated due to expensive, specific hardware.  This relatively low number of users due to said expensive HW has also caused a stagnantion in software development (see the Morph OWB vs. OS4 Timberwolf/Firefox debate).

It is very hard for me to recommend a SAM/OS4 system to someone looking for a "taste of a modern Amiga" for $1000 full built when a Mac Mini and MorphOS can be had for a couple hundred bucks, tops.  MorphOS is a very nice OS to use on commodity PPC Mac's.  Niche market HW like the x1000 and SAM's won't ever come down much, price wise.  Limited run specialty boards are damned expensive to make, where as Mac's are very easy to come by for dirt cheap.

I use OS4 and MorphOS, and enjoy both greatly - but bang for buck goes to MorphOS by a wide margin.  What you choose to use merely depends on your preference and your budget, to me.  I have not regged MorphOS yet, since I would like to pick up a higher end Mac than this old basemodel Mini and licenses are not easily transferable, but will do so once I get a PPC Mac I consider a "keeper".

Just my 2 bits, there's room for everyone really - but there's no denying that OS4 would be used a heck of a lot more by the community if it ran on the old "surplus" PPC Mac's.

Offline drHirudo

• Show only replies by drHirudo
    • http://hirudov.com
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2011, 05:10:39 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;654361
HAHA! I thought he was Japanese.

Haha, your wild guesses does not surprice me. On YouTube I was named Polish, no EAB they said I am Czech, now Hungarian, Japanese.

I does not matter much in which of these countries, because in any of them you will have a hard time getting fully working Mac for MOS except may be in Poland.

On the other hand I order from Vesalia since 1999 and had no problems receiving my orders (Amiga 1200, AmigaOne, cards, magazines, books, software, games). Currently Vesalia have listed Amiga and AROS systems for sale, but not MOS capable hardware.

If the AmigaOne X1000 AmigaOS 4 port is properly done it will be the first AmigaOS to take advantage of dual core architecture that will make it porting to G5 Macs more trivial than the much anticipated G5 port of MOS which is not there yet.

To answer the OP question: AmigaOS 4 on PPC Mac? No, I prefer it on new hardware. It is irrelevant if my MicroAmigaOne (from which I am typing this) is old or new hardware. I bought it first hand.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2011, 05:29:38 AM »
Quote from: drHirudo;654372
HI does not matter much in which of these countries, because in any of them you will have a hard time getting fully working Mac for MOS except may be in Poland.
Really that hard to come by, huh? Still, I'd think that even shipping a big-box Power Mac internationally would be cheaper than $2300 USD...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup