Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Looking for interested artist (or coder)...  (Read 1419 times)

Description:

Offline brianbTopic starter

• Show only replies by brianb
Looking for interested artist (or coder)...
« on: April 14, 2009, 04:04:58 AM »
I'm thinking of doing some new coding for the -classic- Amiga... (Why?  Why not!)  Coding will most likely be done in Blitz Basic or C (probably Blitz for first go around).   I've developed software for various hardware, but never the Amiga.    This will be purely for entertainment/hobby, and probably a very part-time venture...

Here is my major dilemma..  I suck at the artwork, I can code (20+ years experience) but drawing from scratch is not my thing.  So, any artists out there interested in helping out on some possible projects?  No money for your work, but you'll get your name mentioned!  :-D

If interested drop me a PM...

Thanks
Brian  

PS If your a coder interested in helping also feel free to drop me a line...

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
Re: Looking for interested artist (or coder)...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 04:32:19 AM »
Well, you're not exactly drawing, in this case. ;P Depending on what kind of game you're doing, are you looking for concept artists, sprite artists (2d), 3D artists, Environmental Artists, etc.

You got a milestone outline? Anything involving a base engine for product review?

There's a lot to be said, when looking for artists for the gaming industry and you're talking to one.  ;-)

Just my 2p.
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline brianbTopic starter

• Show only replies by brianb
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 03:23:36 PM »
Good guestions, maybe I should elaborate a bit more on my original post...

I'm specifically looking for 2D artists, an "artist for hire" type but in this case for no money.   :-)  You would receive credit for your work of course, and if in the future something were to be pay-ware you would receive royalties.  I would provide the requirements (size, color depth, etc.) and concept and/or rough mock-ups.  They would provide the creativity and art skills...   Artwork would consist of sprites, backdrops, etc.  For Amiga work the format would be IFF.

As for milestones... Sometime, someday, I might release something.  :-P     To be honest, this is just a pet project and with recent twin babies it's kind of low on the list.

I'm mainly looking to establish some contacts for future projects..   I develop (well manage developers now) business apps for a living, but in my spare time I enjoy writing little games for computers and PDAs.   I'm  actively working on my iPhone development skills, but the Amiga is a fun diversion.  But developing for either one I run into the same issue, "art skills" and my lack their of.   So I'm hoping the contacts I make on this forum may be useful for other projects on other hardware too.

As I said earlier, if you would be interested drop me a PM...

Thanks!

Offline Cammy

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 06:31:49 PM »
There are a couple of places where you'll find 2D artists (pixel artists). Check out Pixelation and Pixel Joint. They have galleries of their work there as well as contact details.

You'll probably find that many of the artists who will work for free are just beginners or high school kids, but it's worth a try.

I've been looking for artists to help out with a few game projects that we've been working on at Underground Arcade for a couple of years, but still have had no luck yet. Lots of people offer to help, or boast about what they can do, but in the end no one ever ends up doing any actual work. I think you'll have trouble finding anyone comitted enough to stick to a free project, especially if no one even has any idea what kind of game it is you're making in the first place.

Still, if you want to make some contacts I hope something comes out of it. Just don't be disappointed if those people disappear when the time comes to ask a favour of them.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS