Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Automatic login and ignore list  (Read 3566 times)

Description:

guest7146

Re: Automatic login and ignore list
« Reply #14 from previous page: June 12, 2011, 07:52:05 PM »
Quote from: nOw2;644454
I have been here since the last calendar millennium and have only resorted to using the ignore list in the last few months. Given that my last ignore/block anywhere was Timothy Rue on usenet, you can see how often I resorting to using this facility, when available.

I feel AppleHammer's pain and suggest that passive aggressive comments calling it a personality defect contributes to the problem rather than helping.

I agree and actually my use of the ignore list is similar to yours - very infrequently and a very small number of members on there (one in my case, actually).  It's not a case of being childish or having personality defects, it's just that the member in question does not add any positive contribution to the forum (in my opinion) and often is the source of discontent between other members.  I'm not the subject of this discontent so I'm not the one being offended, I'd just rather not be trawling through these posts when I'm reading an interesting thread.  Personal preference, that's all.

guest7146

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 10:37:07 PM »
Quote from: nOw2;644508
I didn't want to name names, but you are spot on.

Some of this thread is starting to disappear under "this user is on your ignore list".

Using the greasemonkey script referenced to earlier by koaftder, you don't even see that.  You literally don't see any post at all.  Also, optionally, you can choose not to see posts that quote the ignored member.

AH

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 12:33:33 AM »
I can't believe you bunch of dildos complaining about ignore lists.  That is, the ones complaining that they exist.  That's like saying when I'm in my car, listening to my radio, I'm wrong to turn off some screeching windbag on the radio because I don't want to listen.  Nobody's saying "This person should never be heard" - just that this person should never be heard by the individuals asking for help with ignore.

Also there is a "stay logged in" checkbox.  It's up by your username near the "forgot your password".
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 01:05:32 AM »
The primary use of the ignore feature in webforums isn't to actually filter content, it's to serve as a tool for agitating other users. This is why it's so common to see messages to the tune of "I've put you on my ignore list". There is no legitimate reason to do that. Another scenario you see played out from time to time is "I don't agree with you so I'm adding you to my block list unless you change your opinion". Why anyone would give a shit about another person adding them to their ignore list is beyond me but apparently it hurts peoples feelings which is why people stoop to doing that. The ignore feature is an attempt to solve a problem but ends up just being an enabler of anti-social behavior.

This is why it's always a bad idea to implement such components into platforms that are designed to facilitate communication between individuals. Any content filtering that a user desires should be done client side. That leaves communication more open and level while giving the individuals more power and flexibility.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 01:13:01 AM »
Quote from: koaftder;644550
The primary use of the ignore feature in webforums isn't to actually filter content, it's to serve as a tool for agitating other users. This is why it's so common to see messages to the tune of "I've put you on my ignore list". There is no legitimate reason to do that. Another scenario you see played out from time to time is "I don't agree with you so I'm adding you to my block list unless you change your opinion". Why anyone would give a shit about another person adding them to their ignore list is beyond me but apparently it hurts peoples feelings which is why people stoop to doing that. The ignore feature is an attempt to solve a problem but ends up just being an enabler of anti-social behavior.

This is why it's always a bad idea to implement such components into platforms that are designed to facilitate communication between individuals. Any content filtering that a user desires should be done client side. That leaves communication more open and level while giving the individuals more power and flexibility.

+1

Even if this option is available to me, I have no intention of using it.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

guest7146

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 01:13:38 AM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;644548
Also there is a "stay logged in" checkbox.  It's up by your username near the "forgot your password".

Aha - that's a "stay logged in" checkbox is it? It's not obvious because it's not labelled as such.

I'll try that though!

AH

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 01:54:25 AM »
I really don't see the issue here ....

I've got my own ignore list and it's working 100% here or any other forum (even the bunny).

Some people are on it 100% of the times some may leave it if I'm really bored on the specific day ?

Franko is such a case. When I see his nick/avatar I instantly know that there is nothing worth reading BUT if time allowes I might find a good (unintended) laugh.

Or in short, grow the fish up and have a good laugh at the retards expense.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 01:55:44 AM by Kronos »
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline Iggy

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 01:55:41 AM »
Kesa, you're my hero.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Iggy

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 01:57:06 AM »
Quote from: Kronos;644569
Or in short, grow the fish up and have a good laugh at the retards expense.

Words to live by.