Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any chance for mobile.amiga.org??  (Read 1626 times)

Description:

Offline DiskDoctorTopic starter

• Show only replies by DiskDoctor
Re: Any chance for mobile.amiga.org??
« Reply #14 from previous page: March 09, 2009, 11:13:33 PM »
@ adolescent

That's my point. You have to render for mobile, that is, match UA with width and output xhtml, that's all.

The question is- where to render. Wheather by server itself, via proxy or at the device. The only sensible solution would be server's, this is why I posted this as a possible  enhancement of the site.

HTML5 will do the job; all mobile browsers would eventually declare their profile, thus being served properly.  So HTML5- compliant webservers will have automatically become CMS systems :-) But I've been hearing of this revolutionaly html improvement for so long that I now consider this a hoax.

To conclude, you either use (basic) mCMS or all you get is partial experience. Altogether with mobile browsing being a partial experience itself, what you get is doubtful. Well except for iPhone owners, right.
Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
Planned soon: an OS4 system
Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)

Offline DiskDoctorTopic starter

• Show only replies by DiskDoctor
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 11:27:04 PM »
@ AmigaHeretic

Right, I forgot that in landscape mode I am 320. But still not enough! A.org in IE... Not entirelly messy, I meant horizontal bar and the whole browsing experience as delayed leaping through the page.  Yes this is WM6.0.

I just found an interesting feature- single column view renders proper width, though you have to scroll through the whole left frame... but it's much better, alas slow.  I again I wish there was a m.A.org site.
Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
Planned soon: an OS4 system
Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 03:10:58 AM »

DiskDoctor wrote:
I meant Xoops plugin of course.  If there is one.

There may be, but the problem as I'm failing to explain it properly, is that after Xoops 2.07, they made the commitment to embrace actual web technology, like CSS, XHTML, etc, which -- for normal browsers -- means nothing, but for the now antiquated browsers on the Amiga, it means that the only way we ever get to move up is to abandon the 8 to 10% of people who would scream their bloody heads off if we ever abandoned them.

There is, of course, the fact that Xoops is now on like 2.3.x and there's no upgrade path from our current version any more.

What we'd have to do, to embrace reasonable technology I'm afraid, is to drop ANY semblance of support for classic Amigas, and that seems a bit contrary to our purpose.

Wayne