Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Professionally published homebrew games.  (Read 8060 times)

Description:

Offline Robert17

• Show only replies by Robert17
Re: Professionally published homebrew games.
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2014, 09:32:48 AM »
Both Cammy and Amigakit have done a lot of good for Amiga users and the community - I'm sure they can find a way to co-operate, but Amigakit are a business in a small market so do need to drum up business and make money where they can.

In the post Power/Elbox Days of Amiga computing here in the UK, Amigakit are a reliable supplier of hardware and software products, and after-sales support that the community need.

Robert
Member of the Lincs Amiga Group, UK :-)

Offline Lord Aga

• Show only replies by Lord Aga
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2014, 09:58:42 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;773429
I am confused, what just happened?  Before Cammy edited her original post was their a report, or a link to a report about homebrew game publishing?  If yes, I would like to read it, so can someone please restore the info that she apparently edited out?

There was a huge, beautiful post about homebrew games with pictures and packages. I am lucky to have seen it in time.
Glory to the loud-mouthed Scotsman !

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2014, 11:13:53 AM »
Quote from: Robert17;773465
Both Cammy and Amigakit have done a lot of good for Amiga users and the community - I'm sure they can find a way to co-operate, but Amigakit are a business in a small market so do need to drum up business and make money where they can.

In the post Power/Elbox Days of Amiga computing here in the UK, Amigakit are a reliable supplier of hardware and software products, and after-sales support that the community need.

Robert

Generally I dislike if Marketing is hammering on me and Amigakit has partly overdone it for some time with almost every posting including X1000 and links on their shop. From what I have seen it got better recently. Propably Cammy was already upset before on Amigakit.

Generally App-Stores are not so easy to do. You can install a normal Store (PHP/MySQL) and include Amiga-products but doing a App-Store that is running on amiga platforms including automatic payment needs a lot of programming and that costs (and has to be covered later). You also need to host it (what is not free of charge either). Theoretically people could program it free of charge but we all know there is a shortage of skilled programmers and obviously there was noone interested to do it.

We will soon have two competing App-Stores, one cross-platform and the other AmigaOS related, if that really makes sense in a small market is another topic. Both request money, I am ok with it as long as they offer services that help the customers (in this case both devs and users). There is no free lunch in the world.

@Cammy

As far as I know is the other App-Store hosting all apps/games for free, only if you sell something on the platform it costs something (you find the thread on aros-exec)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 11:21:09 AM by OlafS3 »

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2014, 12:05:32 PM »
I like the app store. It gives a lot of advertising. The old way was to download some shareware and then send a cheque to someone.

Plus you might end up trying a bunch of $1.99 downloads, buy the series for 20% off etc.

Btw will there be a refund if you don't like the software?
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline Niding

• Show only replies by Niding
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2014, 12:19:17 PM »
Why would there be a refund?

Last night I held a LAN party with a bunch of friends and we wanted to try a new game.
We decided on the title and just searched steam store, clicked purchase and a few minutes later we all had it installed.
Its how i see AmiStore. Amigakit gets some income for the ease of access and availability of software/games. Developers gets their software sort of adverised by staring you in the face thru the app.
Again like steam store, they run adverts, and while I ususally dont impulse buy cause of it, Over the years Ive gathered 50 or so games for a few quid. Some of my friends well over 100.
If it hadnt been for Steam those developers would most likely have sold much fewer copies.
A few of those titles wasnt as fun as I had expected, but thats down to personal taste and the lack of research from my part before purchasing.

Then you have amigakits hardware online shop; this I compare with komplett.no when i shop for my PC. They make a % revenue, and I got hardware readily available and I know that within a few days its delivered. I gladly pay a few % for the convinience.

Why the same shouldnt be true for Amigaland is beyond me.
I love the fact that I dont have to spend hours hunting/searching thru google, ebay etc to find something I want which usually means you have to deal with personas you have no idea about, and its a cointoss regarding quality of delivered product.

THAT said, I have nothing but admiration for people wanting to do non-profit models aswell.
There should be room for them all on this and other platform.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 12:49:57 PM by Niding »

Offline Niding

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2014, 12:43:12 PM »
As far as Amigakit overdoing it;

Over the years people have complained about lack of information from Hyperion for example with regards to development plans and progress reports.
Then you have entities like Amigakit and aeon that remedy that by being very active, raising awareness about available service.

Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

If you plan to survive as a fulltime shop that provide paychecks to fulltime employees then you HAVE to be visible by neccessity. Its active posting on this and other forum that has made me aware of ALTERNATIVES to Amigakit, and it has lead to me purchasing from them too.

Additionally, there is a overhead cost to stockpile hardware.

Offline Manu

• Show only replies by Manu
    • http://www.cartoonspace.net
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2014, 01:55:08 PM »
App store this and app store that, it's all just hype. In real life it won't matter especially not for this small community. It's nice to have on a Android/Iphone because it makes it easier to install apps and there's thousands of them and hundreds that are actually good apps. But on a desktop/laptop with a niche OS with very very very few worthwhile apps/games so to have a App Store for those are no big deal.
AmigaOS or MorphOS on x86 would sell orders of magnitude more than the current, hardware-intensive solutions. And they\\\'d go faster. --D.Haynie

Offline Amigamia

• Show only replies by Amigamia
    • http://www.arosworld.org
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2014, 02:10:02 PM »
Quote from: edanaii;773448
much as i love cammy for her don-quixote-like quest to help amiga, it's self-interested people that made the amiga what it was.

Jay miner did want to create one of the best personal computers of it's time, but he didn't do it for the "community." he did it because -->he<-- wanted to do it and because he would earn money by doing so. The reason he did it by no means lessens his contribution to the rest of us.

Same goes for the inventor of the vaccine, the airplane, the car, etc...

Hell, but for amigakit, i wouldn't have a replacement floppy for my a1200. Not to mention other items i've acquired over the years.

Did they hijack the thread? I suppose... Is this really worth all the hoopla it's generating? Not really.

Cammy? Keep fighting the good fight, but i don't think there's a reason why you can't do what you do and they can't do what they do. We can share this planet. ;)

spot on! +1
Check out  AROSWORLD.ORG

Offline Niding

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2014, 02:11:49 PM »
Manu;

If someone wants to make a living out of something, be it niche or not, then streamlining seems like a smart thing to do.

Your post was very "glass half empty" tho.

phoenixkonsole

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2014, 02:23:20 PM »
@manu
Basically you are right. The other App Store (the indiego thing) will be used as Package Manager. Similar to synaptic and Softwarecenter in ubuntu.
The indiego Store has been made to give developers full Control.
As soon they are activated they can do what they like until a user reports a Problem. This ensures technically that I can drive against a wall and the thing still works.

@amigakit
Someone reactivated my account here. Could you please explain me which sort of news I am allowed to post here? Aeros was to good and indiego store to competitive ?

Look I was open for colaboration and basically I am still but if I get the feel that this is not old amiga.org just because you dislike a news item an just remove it and on top without telling a reason I start to dislike this place : )

You are free to remove my account again, I won't post any news here anyway since it is a waste of time(because they will be removed after shown)
 and I reach more via Facebook than you have registered users.

@all
I don't see it as hijacking what amigakit did. Many people will open this thread and may find out that amistore is coming. This fits to the topic. Forums are about information and better some advertising than no info at all.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 02:31:53 PM by phoenixkonsole »

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2014, 02:46:17 PM »
@ commodorejohn:
The problem isn't with Amigakit making profit, it's with Amigakit making everything about Amigakit. By all accounts they're a well-run business that supports an underserved community, which is great - however, that does not give them license to ignore basic forum etiquette (and doing so is bad PR, which they ought to understand.) Besides, if the OP was anything like Cammy's identically-titled thread over on Amibay, it didn't even mention anything about an app store, just discussed the recent increase in commercial publication of retro-homebrew titles and mused on possibilities to promote this kind of thing in the Amiga community. So it's not hard to see that as an obvious threadjack.

Except that Cammy made it about "profiteering" and "filling pockets." I'm not saying you're wrong, however, as I think what you say is true too, but... by calling them out and then "storming out of the room" didn't Cammy achieve the exactly that? Literally hand the hijack over to them? Here we are talking about Amigakit instead of Cammy's original intent. A little counter-productive, me thinks... probably would have been better just to ignore them and let the thread continue as it would have.
Ed.

Offline Manu

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2014, 04:09:25 PM »
Quote from: Niding;773478
Manu;

If someone wants to make a living out of something, be it niche or not, then streamlining seems like a smart thing to do.

Your post was very "glass half empty" tho.

You can believe it makes a difference if you like, I still think a App Store won't make a difference in our community. I developers would like to make money they could for starters make versions of their software that can run on all Amiga flavors and ask money for it , an App store won't make a big difference for them for supporting a small group of people. They could already cash in if they like without App Store.
AmigaOS or MorphOS on x86 would sell orders of magnitude more than the current, hardware-intensive solutions. And they\\\'d go faster. --D.Haynie

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2014, 04:22:28 PM »
I'm guessing Cammy started a thread about Homebrew Amiga. She had said she'd like to start to offer some contributions.  What happened to that thread? Was it Hi-jacked by Amiga Kit / A - Eon Moderators?

If so that's 2 threads in 2 days I was interested in that have been hijacked or shutdown by moderators. Are they so naïve as to not understand that the forum exist because of the Amiga community not because they bought it. I can see EAB usage increasing quickly.

To repeat a simple question.  What happened to the original posts in the thread?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 04:25:40 PM by gertsy »

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2014, 04:36:14 PM »
Quote from: Niding;773471
Why would there be a refund?

Because that is common for app stores?  Most for technical reasons only however google play has a two hour trial window.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/134336?hl=en
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2014, 04:47:18 PM »
Terminills can have a sig that is Racist, sexist and promote illegal drug use but that's okay on Amiga org (Regardless of what the forum rules say). No offence Terminals, as I'm not Asian or a hooker.  Nor a xtal meth user.
But promote something that might dilute profit of an untouchable and whammy, you're outa' here!  

Am I missing something?  What happened to Cammy's the original post?  Did she change it, or was she asked to change it?

Offline Manu

« Reply #44 from previous page: September 20, 2014, 04:51:20 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;773491
Terminills can have a sig that is Racist, sexist and promote illegal drug use but that's okay on Amiga org (Regardless of what the forum rules say). No offence Terminals, as I'm not Asian or a hooker.  Nor a xtal meth user.
But promote something that might dilute profit of an untouchable and whammy, you're outa' here!  

LOL ! Are you serious?