Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Odd GCC linker errors  (Read 2203 times)

Description:

Offline Joloo

Re: Odd GCC linker errors
« on: September 13, 2022, 09:44:11 PM »
I've encountered such errors when the makefile was corrupt and missed the "-c" option to produce object files.
Check if the object files were really created - I'm in doubt of that.

Offline Joloo

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 06:52:46 PM »
I've now identified the bug; it is the WinUAE filesystem emulation. If the source files are in a host Windows (NTFS) directory, it fails. If instead a HDF is used, it succeeds.

I can't reproduce it using MS Windows 8.1, WinUAE 4.9.1.0, AmigaOS3.0 up to and including AmigaOS3.9 and either gcc 3.3.0 or gcc 3.4.0.
But as you wrote, you run AmigaOS4 inside WinUAE - so a difference to my test environments. WinUAE is also running as a privileged process here - which could make a difference, but I'm not sure. I'll have to dig a little deeper, but not today.

Nonetheless, I'm glad you figured it out.

I will add a note to the Amiga Coding Guide ( http://amigan.1emu.net/releases/ami-code.txt ) about the issue.

I'll look at it - but there is too much information for me to read at the moment.
So much information, so little time... :-(
Known problem? ;-)

Offline Joloo

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 07:43:43 PM »
I have now done several tests in order to find out whether the bug you describe is caused by WinUAE or by the host operating system (Windows 8.x, 10).
It is not related to MS-Windows and the used file system (NTFS, FATxxx) - here all tests, regardless if WinUAE was fired up with administrative privileges or not, did not cause any issues (under AmigaOS3.x).
My best guess is that the issue is solely related to AmigaOS4.x, as I can't imagine that QEMU is the cause and no one ever spotted this strange behaviour before.

It would be interesting to know if other Linux tools that store binary data in big-endian format also suffer from this.

Kind regards.