Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: StormC 5 for Release 4.1 currently in development?  (Read 8269 times)

Description:

Offline Spektro

Re: StormC 5 for Release 4.1 currently in development?
« on: February 06, 2020, 10:36:01 PM »
  • What compiler does StormC 5 Ed currently rely on?
  • How well integrated is StormC 5 Ed with said compiler? Does StormC 5 Ed serve as a full blown IDE?

StormC 5 ED is just an editor. There are no compiler settings and you cannot invoke compiler from the editor.

Offline Spektro

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 09:25:13 PM »
So what you are saying is that StormC 5 Ed basically has nothing to do with StormC at all, other than using its name? Have you used it at all yourself, by the way? If you did, what did/do you think about it?

I have HAAGE & PARTNER's StormC version 4 (for the Classic Amiga) and Alinea's StormC5 ED. StormC5 ED is an updated version of the StormC 4's editor. However, Compile, Debug, and Window menus have been removed from version 5.

In my opinion StormC5 ED is a nice and capable editor. It's surprisingly fast and it has syntax highlighting for the C/C++, catalog, ARexx, and AmigaGuide files. Source code sections can be folded and bookmarked. It doesn't have as many features as CubicIDE or CodeBench but I like its simplicity and speed.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 09:33:24 PM by Spektro »

Offline Spektro

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 08:58:12 PM »
Thank you for sorting all of this out. It does seem as if StormC 5 Ed has quite a few features well attuned for AmigaOS development, so it's a shame that the compiler integration has been removed. That said, and if you don't mind me asking, does StormC 5 Ed have an ARexx port that would (potentially) allow for some basic gcc integration?

It's a shame, indeed.

No ARexx port. To make compiling a little bit easier, I created an ADOS script which runs the make command when I double-click the script's icon.

There are things I miss in StormC5, like an easy way to locate subroutines, a GUI for jumping to bookmarks, etc. I hope Alinea will continue porting StormC to AmigaOS 4 eventhough CodeBench is available for free. CodeBench's editor has always been slow on my system and you cannot continue writing after saving without clicking the text area first.

Offline Spektro

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 10:35:10 AM »
My StormC5 ED screenshots:

Printing an AmigaGuide document:

Editing an ARexx program:

Changing ARexx file class settings:

The following users thanked this post: First Ninja

Offline Spektro

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 12:07:39 AM »
By the way - is it possible to customize the code highlight colors?

It is. The dark color theme you are seeing is my own. TribbleSmasher gave a link to the official screenshots which are showing the default color theme.