Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaShell running Linux  (Read 1872 times)

Description:

guest11527

AmigaShell running Linux
« on: December 31, 2015, 01:14:42 AM »
Christian Vogel created "vamos", a 68K emulator combined with a very bare-bone emulation of elementary AmigaOs services.

I took the chance and worked on the sources during the last days, extended the interfaces and improved emulation, added AmigaOs core functions and fixed a big bunch of bugs.

The result of this session can be found on github here: https://github.com/thorfdbg/ - at least until Christian merges the changes back.

The emulation is now complete enough to run the Amiga Shell natively, along with a huge set of development tools. That is, GNUmake, smake, SAS/C, DevPac and the h68x assembler, along with PhxAss all run fine. Shell functionality is also mostly complete, including shell scripting.

For that, you need the Os 3.9 Shell-Seg (earlier shells do not work, I was too lazy to implement the whole BCPL segment parsing), place that in a directory where the emulation can find it. I would suggest to create an L-Volume and put it there. Then run:

vamos -q -x L:Shell-Seg

This gives you the well-known AmigaOs Shell-prompt, ready to accept commands or running scripts. As said, most native development tools work and can be launched from the shell - or shell scripts or make files, thus allowing you to build AmigaOs programs on Linux. It's for me the best of both worlds, the native Amiga development tools, and the Linux utilities to maintain and manage the sources.

A couple of things do not work, unfortunately: vamos does not multitask, and programs that depend on this fail to operate. In particular, "run" does not work, and the Lattice compiler neither works as its command front-end "lc" launches the individual compiler stages.

Hence, you're welcome to try, or even better contribute.

Have a Happy New Year!

Thomas

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
Re: AmigaShell running Linux
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 02:06:31 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;801077

The emulation is now complete enough to run the Amiga Shell natively, along with a huge set of development tools. That is, GNUmake, smake, SAS/C, DevPac and the h68x assembler, along with PhxAss all run fine. Shell functionality is also mostly complete, including shell scripting.

I'm very interested in this project since it would finally let us run console based virus checkers directly on the Aminet server.

I talked to Christian a year ago, running xvs.library wasn't possible back then. I think opening libraries wasn't even implemented yet, but there was also some other problem which I can't remember anymore. I'll try again to see if anything changed and ask Christian what the actual stumbling block was.

Thanks a lot for your work on this.