Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any VBCC users?  (Read 2358 times)

Description:

Offline HeiroglyphTopic starter

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
Any VBCC users?
« on: September 12, 2014, 06:33:23 AM »
I've been using SAS/C 6.58 with GNU make, but the lack of c99 features is starting to bug me.

Is anyone actually using VBCC?

I've used quite a few compilers but the VBCC docs make my eyes glaze over for some reason. Maybe it's the multi-platform layout and lack of examples. There's really not much info on the web about it other than the official source.

Anyway, do you find it worth bothering with and do you have any good sources of information or tutorials?

Could I still use the SAS debugger?

Thanks,
John

Offline Thomas

Re: Any VBCC users?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 01:30:48 PM »
VBCC is my favourite compiler. It's easy to install, easy to use, easy to expand, easy to upgrade/reinstall, easy to understand just by looking at it.

It compiles a bit slower than Dice C but still a lot faster than GCC.

I don't know if a debugger works with it.

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 01:50:46 AM »
I think my problem is the windows vbcc binaries themselves.

I've been having weird build problems and I thought it was a misunderstanding on my part.

I finally said forget it, I'll try the Amiga version and it worked with no problem.

So has anyone else got so much as a hello world out of vbcc for windows?

The only binaries I found were the ones marked "Windows Binaries for Win->AmigaOS cross compiler; alpha test version!" on the vbcc home page.

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 06:58:00 AM »
Ok, so far so good!

If I use "-g -hunkdebug" then I can still use the SAS source level debugger.

I'm not sure how it will react to using long longs, but I'm sure I can work around that when the time comes.

Offline Leffmann

• Show only replies by Leffmann
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 05:01:35 PM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;772887
I think my problem is the windows vbcc binaries themselves.

I've been having weird build problems and I thought it was a misunderstanding on my part.

I finally said forget it, I'll try the Amiga version and it worked with no problem.

So has anyone else got so much as a hello world out of vbcc for windows?

The only binaries I found were the ones marked "Windows Binaries for Win->AmigaOS cross compiler; alpha test version!" on the vbcc home page.

If you have f.ex. Visual C++ installed then you can build it all from source. It does take a bit of fiddling and editing of make files, but that's an intrinsic property of Windows more than anything.

I can upload my finished Windows binaries instead if you prefer that, and you'll just have to set a couple of variables, and copy the M68K-AmigaOS target and AmigaOS 3.9 NDK archives to complete the installation.

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 05:49:54 PM »
Quote from: Leffmann;772930
If you have f.ex. Visual C++ installed then you can build it all from source. It does take a bit of fiddling and editing of make files, but that's an intrinsic property of Windows more than anything.

I can upload my finished Windows binaries instead if you prefer that, and you'll just have to set a couple of variables, and copy the M68K-AmigaOS target and AmigaOS 3.9 NDK archives to complete the installation.

I'd rather not build it at the moment, I've spent enough time screwing around with the bad binaries that I'd like to get back to writing code.

I certainly wouldn't turn down known working Windows binaries, but the Amiga version is working really well.

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 06:36:05 PM »
Can anyone tell me where I can find exactly what is in each of the .lib files included with vbcc? For example, vc.lib?

Is the source or documentation for these available somewhere? The manual only gives a very broad overview of them.

I want to link in the minimal set that is needed rather than including everything for each executable but without this information it's impossible to make an informed decision.

Thanks,
John

Offline Leffmann

• Show only replies by Leffmann
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 11:47:09 AM »
vc.lib holds the standard C library and things like integer math support. You'll have to link with this for pretty much anything you do. If you use the vc frontend and the default configuration files, then it will be done automatically for you.

amiga.lib is the Amiga utility library (not to be confused with utility.library). You can find its contents in "amiga.doc" in the NDK documentation. It has a huge amount of bulk in the form of library vector offsets, stubs, and addresses of hardware registers, which are only there for historical reasons, so only link with this if you use the utility functions.

msoft.lib, mieee.lib, m881.lib, and m040.lib are of course the math libraries to be used with -soft-float, -fpu=68881, and -fpu=68040/68060. You'll have to link with these pretty much any time you use floating point or math.h. If you link with mieee.lib then your program will also be dependent on the disk-based math libraries that come with Workbench.