Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Picasso96 driver question  (Read 3205 times)

Description:

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
Re: Picasso96 driver question
« on: September 27, 2013, 03:03:29 AM »
I always thought the RTG system was something that Commodore had thought of, but never really developed upon.

And as far as paying for registration of Picasso96, wasn't part of the license originally included in the old hardware purchases?  (Sure UAE and Mediator type devices... not sure if Elbox paid them or not).

The whole driver situation under the Amiga is kind of odd.  On the one hand you have people like Nova Coder who is completely epic in what he's doing, and does it for fun, not expecting any sort of financial gain (at least that I know of!).  Then you have companies like Elbox that get pissed off that someone was copying the code for a driver that is unique in getting Radeon cards working with the Mediator (so regardless of where the driver comes from, you still have to buy the hardware...)  

I remember way back when, a friend of mine didn't have the means to order it, so I ended up ordering a full copy of MUI / MagicWB.  I didn't even have an Amiga at the time, and he no longer uses his.  Fortunately I held onto my copy and still have it to this day.  

If indeed the P96 people were pissed that no one paid for it, that was a long time ago, and it'd be nice if a group could create an open source alternative, like the AROS group?

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.