Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

A very special workbench.
A very special workbench.
Previous Image | Next Image
Description: This system includes the following: Workbench 3.1, FileMaster3, JanoEditor, SysInfo, HDToolBox, HDInstTools, Fat95, LhA 1.38, MiniXpkGuide, ToolsDaemon, UnLZX 2.16, Fast File System (TD64 patched), Smart File System, AmiCDFS & CFD.

The Amiga it is running on is an A1200 with Apollo 1240/25 card, 32MB Fast RAM, CD-ROM drive & PCMCIA to Compact Flash card adapter.

So what's so special about this Workbench you might ask, because after all, the stuff mentioned above is included with many systems out there, and the old boring four colored icons are not so impressive either. All in all, there really isn't anything earth-shattering about this Workbench you might think.

But still, there is something special about this Workbench, can anybody guess what it is?
Picture Stats:
Views: 951
Filesize: 8.25kB
Height: 768 Width: 1024
Posted by: PanterHZ at November 10, 2010, 04:37:01 PM

Image Linking Codes
BB Code

Comments (3)

PanterHZ
November 21, 2010, 05:10:45 PM
It is now possible to read more about the program that can be used for creating such a disk here: http://rhz1.com/programs/Amiga911Maker.htm

There is also a thread about it here on Amiga.org as well: http://amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55370
PanterHZ
November 15, 2010, 03:34:29 AM
Yes you are right Cammy, it all fits on a single floppy disk :)

You are also right in that the system gets extracted to RAM: upon  booting, but in order to reduce boot time, this won't happen to the  programs. They can be extracted & run by using a small script file  (StartProgram) that can be started from Shell or the WB menu (by using  ToolsDaemon).

By putting the majority of files into some archives, and by using the  maximum compression that LZX can offer, I have managed to squeeze in  over 1.5MB of files into a single 880KB floppy.

I created the first version of this disk a while ago, but because of  copyright reasons I couldn't distribute it. So now I'm currently working  on a program that allows people to create the boot disk(s) for  themselves, and this easy to use program will be made available in the  near future.

There are probably some people that don't see the need of having all the  stuff I have mentioned on the disk, but the beauty of it all is that  they don't have to include everything.

As a matter of fact, the following is optional: FileMaster3, JanoEditor,  SysInfo, HDToolBox, HDInstTools, Fast File System (TD64  patched), Smart File System, AmiCDFS & CFD.
Cammy
November 11, 2010, 12:52:58 AM
Does it all fit on a single floppy disk?

I'm guessing the system and programs are extracted to RAM: during the Startup-Sequence and then booted up from there.