Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Did a bunch of searches, no luck... Max size of usable partitions for 3.2 OS?  (Read 1147 times)

Description:

Offline MalakieTopic starter

• 'Karma' doesn't choose. It just is! (2020 -T.B.)
    • Show only replies by Malakie
    • Streaming Channel (including Amiga stuff)
Hi,

Oddly been searching here and the internet and one thing I can't seem to find is the maximum size usable partition for OS 3.2 (including the most current KS as well).

Anyone know?  I have a couple old 160 GB IDE drives I want to try to use as 160 GB partitions on an A1200.  Wondering if it is a waste of time or if indeed, 3.2 will support them as one partition?

Take it light...... :-D

Malakie

Offline QuikSanz

Good Day,

Afaik it's up to 4M limit. But why? 200-300k or so on System partition. depending on OS, boot & stuff should be small and not often write to partition, smaller usually. Then big stuff and game, then saved stuff Up to at least 4G. Depends on system after that.

Chris

Offline MalakieTopic starter

• 'Karma' doesn't choose. It just is! (2020 -T.B.)
    • Show only replies by Malakie
    • Streaming Channel (including Amiga stuff)
Good Day,

Afaik it's up to 4M limit. But why? 200-300k or so on System partition. depending on OS, boot & stuff should be small and not often write to partition, smaller usually. Then big stuff and game, then saved stuff Up to at least 4G. Depends on system after that.

Chris

That's the original limit.. 4GB.    I was asking about the change for OS3.2 and the new latest KS as well.  Limits have been majorly raised in size but I am wondering what the top limit is now.. i.e. can I format a full 160gb HD and it work correctly.   I want one of my systems with a lot of space for a reason otherwise I would not worry about it.

Take it light...... :-D

Malakie

Offline Pat the Cat

Depends partly on file system, RAM and block size.

One school of thought is that you are better off with PFs3 for about 92 GB partition limit, Ram and block size irrelevant.

The other is that you can go 2TB with the latest incarnation of fast filesystem but you might need hundreds of mb of RAM to validate it if there's an error, and you need a big block size.

Also depends a bit on controller and medium.

EDIT: Added word "partition" to explanation in bold.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 05:30:30 AM by Pat the Cat »
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline Matt_H

I'm pretty sure 160GB is fine these days. The help docs or release notes should have details.

Offline duga

Offline olsen

Hi,

Oddly been searching here and the internet and one thing I can't seem to find is the maximum size usable partition for OS 3.2 (including the most current KS as well).

Anyone know?  I have a couple old 160 GB IDE drives I want to try to use as 160 GB partitions on an A1200.  Wondering if it is a waste of time or if indeed, 3.2 will support them as one partition?

This is difficult to answer because "old" drives might not report their true block sizes but a compatibility value instead. You mentioned 160 GBytes, which is beyond the ca. 137 GByte limit which the old IDE block addressing scheme restricted itself to. With 160 GBytes you might have a drive with 4096 bytes per block. The A1200 scsi.device in AmigaOS 3.2 would support this, but it's up to the drive's firmware to report what its designers found suitable at the time it was made and sold.

The only way to find out is to try it, I'm afraid :(