Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4 Released  (Read 8950 times)

Description:

Offline olsen

Re: AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4 Released
« on: December 24, 2011, 12:25:12 PM »
Quote from: JJ;672574
This might sound like flame bait given my sig etc, but doesnt really seem to be much of update ??

More would have always been better, of course ;)

Fact is, though, that many bug fixes that were made in the past few years did not find their way into the updates until very recently. For example, there was a serious bug in the DHCP handling of the Roadshow TCP/IP stack which was resolved in late 2010, and there were a buch of issues with the shell which were resolved even earlier. This update finally makes these available for everybody.

And the integrated UAE isn't too shabby either ;)

Offline olsen

Re: AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4 Released
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 12:29:17 PM »
Quote from: Minuous;672612
>I'm not a lawyer, so I was never sure if "AmigaOS 3.1" in lawyer-speak means "version 3.1 of AmigaOS" or "all versions of AmigaOS, up to 3.1". Looks like it might be the latter, unless "official AmigaOS 3.x ROMs" in the announcement refers only to 3.1. Though that would make me wonder why only 3.x ROMs are included.

Hmm, that would seem to imply no V3.9 then, just obsolete V3.1 :-( Did Amiga not have the rights to all versions of their own OS or something!?

Short answer: no.

The 3.5 and 3.9 updates strictly consisted of updated material and contributions by 3rd party developers: Amiga International did not own the end product in any way whatsoever.

Big chunks of 3.5/3.9 came from the publisher Haage & Partner, who chose not to continue further product development after the 3.9 release. This is also part of the reason why there is none of the Haage & Partner developed code in the OS 4 release.