Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: cyberstormppc.rom ?  (Read 11664 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzon

Re: cyberstormppc.rom ?
« on: December 23, 2014, 08:40:48 PM »
Quote from: HammerD;780443
DCE still exists and holds the license/rights to the Blizzard PPC and Cyberstorm PPC roms, as far as I am aware ?

might be the reason not to support uae as official os4 platform, because it might mean officially supporting piracy for all these users that do not own the hardware in question.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 12:35:01 AM »
Quote from: spirantho;780448
If UAE were officially supported, Hyperion would be responsible for fixing or working around bugs in UAE as well. I think they have enough work to do already. :)

as if winuae was unmaintained..

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 04:59:53 PM »
apparently cyberstorm ppc firmware is still ralph schmidt's property. and if he doesnt intend to make it free, then distribution of the images is not legal.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 09:07:52 PM »
sick, how much people try to twist this around to make it appear legal while it apparently isnt. whats the problem all the sudden? why dont you just honestly pirate it as all the time before?

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 02:09:48 AM »
Quote from: Bugala;786799
@cgutjahr

Actually it is not that clear case.

To take example of car theft.

If you buy a car from your local cars dealer, and later point it is found out that the car you bought was actually stolen. If there was no reasonable reason for you to doubt it, you get to keep the car you bought (at least in most countries), and dispute is between the original owner and the theft, not between you and the original owner.

Similarly another case could be that for example GOG.com finds out that their Sierra games arent actually legally licensed. That the real owner suddenly appears and tells them that the deal they have about those games, was made with wrong company.

GOG would have to stop selling those sierra games unless they make a new deal with the real owner, but people who bought those games before, would (probably) still be having legal copies of it, despite that they were illegal in the first place, as there was no reason to doubt that GOG was selling real, legal copies of those games.

However, in this case because I was customer that became aware of the situation (although after already having bought it), and it wasnt after many a year, but quite instantly noticed, it is easy to reverse the situation (delete file) etc.

And because I couldnt easily enough find any contact info for Ralph Schmidt to ask him permission to keep that PPC ROM file, i deleted it.

you can keep your rom image. you just cant claim its legal. if you have paid for it and are not comfortable with the outcome, delete it and demand your money back. why do you want to argue in the open, that your copy is legal even if acquired from an apparently illegal source? i dont understand your concerns.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 01:34:43 PM »
running os4 in emulation is illegal according to the os4 development lead person, it wont be supported, its only tolerated. they just decided to cash on it anyway. now the owner of the necessary firmware, who doesnt earn any penny on that, has stated, that the replication and distribution of his firmware is illegal but will be tolerated if it isnt done commercially.

now i wonder, why the developers linked to morphos get all the bashing for not supporting the usage, they dont have any business with. this whole affair will not affect anything, except the good feeling os4 uae users may have gained, if they could claim everything they do is legal and official, as they seem to insist on it where they can. otherwise everybody can proceed further as they did, i dont see the problem.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 06:59:41 PM »
Quote from: Bugala;786906
Interesting. I wonder how is AmigaOS was installed at time computer was bought is determined.

thats an interesting clause anyway. by this definition installing os4 on genuine amigaone computers must have likely been illegal as well, since as far as i have heard they were delivered with linux as os4 wasnt available at the release. am i wrong?

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 07:11:19 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;786909
no. you are wrong. "This License allows you to install and use the Amiga OS on a single Amiga-branded or Amiga-licensed computer at a time."

-- eliyahu

except it seems amigaone is not an amiga-branded nor amiga-licensed computer in a strict legal sense, am i wrong again? ;)

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 08:04:00 PM »
lets not forget the sams, especially the 440, that to my knowledge has never even been branded "amigaone" or whatever. looks like the license wording isnt very lucky or consistent to say the least. however it doesnt matter much, its just some laughs it deserves.