Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Free MorphOS compatible systems for developers  (Read 8684 times)

Description:

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Free MorphOS compatible systems for developers
« on: October 31, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
Yes, you read it right!  Myself and some other MorphOS users are banding together to promote the use and development of native MorphOS software by providing MorphOS compatible computers to developers who are writing software native to MorphOS.

If you are a developer that wants to write native MorphOS applications, or games, contact me through my earthlink.net email address.  If you live within the USA, Canada, or Mexico, I will find and send you a MorphOS compatible computer for just the cost to have it shipped to you.  If you live outside of North America, there are other MorphOS users that have agreed to help you get a MorphOS compatible computer system.

All that I ask is that you describe what software you are working on, or plan to write and include a native MorphOS version of and provide progress updates on it once every 30 to 60 days and if you ever decide to change your mind and stop developing for MorphOS, or if you replace this system with a better MorphOS compatible computer, that you return this donated computer, or forward it to another developer who wants to write MorphOS native software.

Due to my low retirement income, this offer will most likely be limited to one computer to be donated to a developer per month.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: Free MorphOS compatible systems for developers
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 09:34:08 PM »
A post of this would probably do well within the Console development scene. Those kids love tinkering with and writing code for all sorts of obscure machines, especially down in Mexico.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 09:58:30 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;665993
A post of this would probably do well within the Console development scene. Those kids love tinkering with and writing code for all sorts of obscure machines, especially down in Mexico.

Do you have any links for sites that you think this thread should be posted on?  I am not too sure about trying to make MorphOS developers out of people that have zero experience with Amiga, or MorphOS.

Also, for everyone here, this is not intended for people that are just casually interested in learning to program.  It is intended for established programmers that have a proven track record of completing software projects that do not already have a MorphOS compatible computer system, but want to begin writing software native to MorphOS, and/or porting software that they have already written for other platforms, to MorphOS.

To get a free computer, you need to write me an email which describes specifically what software application, or game you are going to work on writing for, or porting to MorphOS.  Answer these questions in the email.

1. Your name
2. Where you live (to have the computer mailed to you)
3. A list of software applications, or games you have completed in the past.
4. The name of the first software application, or game you intend to write for, or port to MorphOS
5. A rough guesstimate of how long it should take you to complete your first MorphOS native software project.

You will be expected to pay the shipping to receive the free computer and the model of MorphOS compatible computer will vary depending on what can be found at a reasonable price.  If your software project has any special requirements that would prevent your ability to complete writing the code on the lowest spec MorphOS compatible system (an Efika5200b), or your software requires specific hardware ports, or PCI cards to be installed within the development system, indicate that in your email as well.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 10:10:57 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;665999
Do you have any links for sites that you think this thread should be posted on?  I am not too sure about trying to make MorphOS developers out of people that have zero experience with Amiga, or MorphOS.

I can't recall the Spanish sites I used to frequent as I have not been heavily involved in the Consoles scene as of late, but a few good Euro and American links do come to mind. Some of them are listed on the right side of my page here, and I know for a fact that some of the Mexican developers frequent some of these pages, especially GBATemp.

http://starwarslegacy.net/Wii.aspx

I do see the logic in your thinking though...

...many of them may not be familiar with the Amiga environment. Just a thought.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Dragster

• Show only replies by Dragster
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 10:50:22 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;665993

heh! really? i wasn't aware of that... anyway, my friend Efren (efrenmgp on this site) could probably be interested, he's a java developer and he's interested on development for the amiga platform in general...

I'll let him know about this thread.

Thanks in advance for the oportunity AmigaDave.

Cheers,

Dragster
Amiga 1200T 603/240, 060/50, SCSI II, Plextor 40/12/40S SCSI CDRW, Plextor 40X SCSI CDROM, Fujitsu 36GB 10KRPM SCSI HD, Pioneer 305S SCSI DVD, BVisionPPC, 256 MB FASTRAM, PowerFlyer EIDE, Scandex external scandoubler, ZIV busboard, Algor USB, Wireless, repulse audio...Peg II Quadruple boot: OS4.1FE/MorphOS 3.9 regged, OpenSUSE11.1 & Debian Squeeze, Powerbook G4 1139 MorphOS3.9, A4000D CSPPC/PIV/DENEB OS3.9/4.1FE, A4000T CSPPC/CVPPC/SCSI, etc.. 2

Offline efrenmgp

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 06:11:50 AM »
Quote from: Dragster;666009
my friend Efren (efrenmgp on this site) could probably be interested

Hello

Thanks for letting me know about this. It is indeed interesting but I'm afraid I can't reasonably make a commitment to develop for MorphOS. Not that I wouldn't like it, but I have very limited time and knowledge.

That being said, I truly admire initiatives like this and wish you all the best with it. Hopefully those machines will be on the hands of very talented MorphOS developers and great software will be done :)

Regards,
Efrén

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 06:51:21 AM »
Quote from: efrenmgp;666036
Hello

Thanks for letting me know about this. It is indeed interesting but I'm afraid I can't reasonably make a commitment to develop for MorphOS. Not that I wouldn't like it, but I have very limited time and knowledge.

That being said, I truly admire initiatives like this and wish you all the best with it. Hopefully those machines will be on the hands of very talented MorphOS developers and great software will be done :)

Regards,
Efrén

Thanks for the encouraging words Efren.

If your time commitments change in the future and you find that you would have more time to commit to writing software for MorphOS, please contact me and I will see what can be done to obtain a MorphOS compatible computer for you.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 07:33:54 AM »
Great initiative there amigadave and good luck with it.
Im sure I dont need to tell you this, and its good to see you have a reasonably safe criteria, but Id advise a little caution. Ive seen it many times with these sorts of initiatives over the years that some people with no real knowledge (but enough to sound convincing to those with less) take advantage of this sort of thing, only to never contribute anything back other than a few write ups and excuses after theyve received their machine. Not to say there's a deliberate intention to deceive, but some peoples eyes are bigger than thier brains  :)  (that's to say their interest in what's offered outweighs their ability to deliver).
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 04:49:10 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;665990
Yes, you read it right!  Myself and some other MorphOS users are banding together to promote the use and development of native MorphOS software by providing MorphOS compatible computers to developers who are writing software native to MorphOS.

Are you in contact with user Iggy here ? He has done the same thing and I am using one of the machines provided by him/oepabakkes.
It is to get a native implementation of ARexx on MOS based on the AROS implementation. Progress is not that great but I have at least implemented 'OPTIONS RESULTS' that was missing.
A x86(_64) linux -> MOS crosscompiler would be a godsend for me; due to limited space I am accessing the MOS machine through VNC, which is less than optimal.
I did ask on MorphZone about crosscompiler but did not get any reply. Where can I put such dev related questions ?

greets,
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 04:52:54 PM »
Sorry for being off topic everyone, but...

@Fats
Ive always thought your avatar was familiar, but its only just now occured to me that its from the cover of The Real Thing. Or am I imagining things?  :)
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 05:03:58 PM »
Quote from: Fats;666087
Are you in contact with user Iggy here ? He has done the same thing and I am using one of the machines provided by him/oepabakkes.
It is to get a native implementation of ARexx on MOS based on the AROS implementation. Progress is not that great but I have at least implemented 'OPTIONS RESULTS' that was missing.
A x86(_64) linux -> MOS crosscompiler would be a godsend for me; due to limited space I am accessing the MOS machine through VNC, which is less than optimal.
I did ask on MorphZone about crosscompiler but did not get any reply. Where can I put such dev related questions ?

greets,
Staf.

Don't give me too much credit there Staf. That was Oepabakkes donation. And we both agreed that you had a good idea that was worth supporting.

David and I have been in contact as well as Zylesea (on MorphZone).
As you're aware, this is not a new idea, but we'd like to move forward with it.

To anyone with AOS3.X programming experience, MorphOS provides a very similar and more powerful platform to develop software on. Consider joining us.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline ajlwalker

• Show only replies by ajlwalker
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 06:03:43 PM »
Good luck with this initiative.  Hope it bears fruit.

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 06:06:28 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;666088

@Fats
Ive always thought your avatar was familiar, but its only just now occured to me that its from the cover of The Real Thing. Or am I imagining things?  :)

Yes, it is from the best band in the world ever :)
Now back on topic I guess ...

greets,
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 06:23:50 PM »
Yeah, this is pretty awesome! Were I a programmer, beyond scripting, I would want one for making games, but such is life.
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 10:36:42 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;666042
Great initiative there amigadave and good luck with it.
Im sure I dont need to tell you this, and its good to see you have a reasonably safe criteria, but Id advise a little caution. Ive seen it many times with these sorts of initiatives over the years that some people with no real knowledge (but enough to sound convincing to those with less) take advantage of this sort of thing, only to never contribute anything back other than a few write ups and excuses after theyve received their machine. Not to say there's a deliberate intention to deceive, but some peoples eyes are bigger than thier brains  :)  (that's to say their interest in what's offered outweighs their ability to deliver).

Hey fishy_fiz, quit describing me with that eyes bigger than brains comment!  My interest has always been outweighed by my (lack of ) ability to deliver.  :lol:

Well, I still have the deserving developer in Australia that needs help getting a MorphOS system, if anyone can help in that country, please contact me.

I also have a deserving programmer in Spain that has actually completed porting some software to MorphOS while only using an unregistered Efika 5200b computer that he has to reboot every 30 minutes.  He just wants a keyfile donated so he does not have to reboot all the time, but I told him I would first look to see if we could find him a more powerful MorphOS compatible computer to register, instead of his Efika.

Although, the Efika at 400MHz is actually a very capable computer when running MorphOS2.7, but the limitation of only 128mb of RAM can cause challenges under certain circumstances.

Any MorphOS users within Spain interested in helping solve this request for keyfile, and/or more powerful MorphOS system?