Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS 2.4 for Mac Mini Released  (Read 34334 times)

Description:

Offline Tron2k2

• Show only replies by Tron2k2
    • http://www.pbronline.us
Re: MorphOS 2.4 for Mac Mini Released
« Reply #44 from previous page: October 14, 2009, 03:34:52 AM »
G3 iMacs had an ATI GPU, but it was a 16MB graphics unit, or worse, an 8MB one, so no go for MorphOS, unfortunately.  IIRC a Rage 128, some with DVD hardware decoder option.

Congratulations to the MorphOS team for, once again, actually releasing a product that they said they would, and in a timely fashion at that!!

However G4 iBook should be very close in hardware spec to a mini, since the Mini was in fact a laptop chipset crammed into that tiny case, and it did borrow heavily from their (cheaper) iBook G4 line, versus the faster Powerbook chipsets.  So in terms of hardware, the G4 macbook and mac Mini should be very similar indeed.  My trusty G3 Wall Street Powerbook needs upgrade, I'd pop for a G4 iBook regardless, but MorphOS would be tasty indeed on a laptop :-)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 03:35:39 AM by Tron2k2 »

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2009, 03:39:40 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;525806
Thats great news for Morph but I hope they also go intel. This will be a lifeboat to keep them afloat for a little longer, but they need more hardware to survive.

Watch now the prices of mac mini's on ebay will skyrocket I bet!

Steven

I think we need more native software more than we need more or faster hardware.  Just my opinion.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline little

• Show only replies by little
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2009, 06:13:08 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;525910
I think we need more native software more than we need more or faster hardware.  Just my opinion.

Truth be said, new hardware was required, the kind you can buy with a good price/performance ratio, which sadly Efika never was. Agreed, the mac mini is not really new hardware, but it does has a very nice price/performance ratio and you can easily/cheaply get upgrades for it. If enough people (ex-amiga owners, techies and whatnot) jump into the MorphOS bandwagon then maybe (just maybe) there might be new applications, be it open or closed source but there will be no new software if the number of users does nor increase

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2009, 06:51:16 AM »
Quote from: little;525922
Truth be said, new hardware was required, the kind you can buy with a good price/performance ratio, which sadly Efika never was. Agreed, the mac mini is not really new hardware, but it does has a very nice price/performance ratio and you can easily/cheaply get upgrades for it. If enough people (ex-amiga owners, techies and whatnot) jump into the MorphOS bandwagon then maybe (just maybe) there might be new applications, be it open or closed source but there will be no new software if the number of users does nor increase

I guess I should have prefaced my earlier comment with "Now that we have the MorphOS port to the MacMini ......."  If you look at the post I was quoting, you will see it mentions that the MacMini is just a stop-gap measure and that the poster think MOS needs to go to x86 ASAP.  Hence my comment about needing more and better software instead of faster hardware.

I totally agree that the Efika is under powered, but it was at a great price point and if it only had a bit more RAM, it would still be a very usable MorphOS machine.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 06:54:12 AM by amigadave »

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2009, 02:56:39 PM »
Damn you MorphOS team. Damn you all!

Now I am probably going to have to break the habit of a lifetime and actually buy a Mac. And it's all your damned fault :)
int p; // A

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2009, 05:36:35 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;525949
Damn you MorphOS team. Damn you all!

Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2009, 06:19:45 PM »
Well after getting ZERO sleep last night, I am on my 4th or 6th attempt to install MorphOS2.4 on my G4 MacMini.  I almost succeeded a couple of times, but the installer froze and it appears that I have lost all of my previous MacOSX settings and programs that originally came on my used MacMini.

I am watching this latest install attempt and as it is copying all the files to DH1: I see at the top of the screen an error message that my 60mb Boot: partition is too small and that 169mb size is required???

The install completed and I have successfully booted to MorphOS2.4 from my hard drive, so I guess that error message was inaccurate.

Downloading fonts for Sputnik seems to be working and everything is very snappy which is a welcome sight compared to MacOSX.  Sputnik seems to be taking a very long time to open and appears to have frozen.  After waiting for several minutes, I have been trying to close the window or even get to the Ambient menus so I can restart and nothing responds.  I have an hourglass pointer when it is over the Sputnik folder window, and returns to a regular pointer outside that window, but nothing responds to any mouse clicks anymore so I must resort to the power button on the MacMini to restart.

Edit:  Rebooted and loaded OWB up.  All appears to be working well now and I just left my first message using my MacMini running MOS2.4.  Hooray!  This Mini really scoots running MOS2.4.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 06:29:46 PM by amigadave »

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2009, 06:41:15 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;525968

I am watching this latest install attempt and as it is copying all the files to DH1: I see at the top of the screen an error message that my 60mb Boot: partition is too small and that 169mb size is required???

The install completed and I have successfully booted to MorphOS2.4 from my hard drive, so I guess that error message was inaccurate.

The message refers to the first partition being too small for the main bulk of the MorphOS installation. The first 60MB partition (named Boot) is just for the boot.img files (and a few others).

The massage is accurate in this context, and is noted in Jacadcaps installation guide.

Sorry to hear that you lost your OSX installation :-(
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline hbarcellos

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
MorphOS 2.4 for Mac Mini Released
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2009, 08:07:55 PM »
I'm about to buy a mac mini, but before that I would like to ask if there's, by any chance, the possibility of supporting Power Mac's G4?
I have a Quicksilver G4 that's now with a Geforce 4 4600, but It should be easy getting a Radeon for it. It's lying on the drawer, but I keep it because it's (in my opinion) the prettiest case ever. I would LOVE to make it my new MIG! :)

}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline hbarcellos

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2009, 03:21:12 AM »
Anyone from the development team?
Are there any plans for other g4 models?
}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2009, 04:45:56 AM »
No announcements about any other Mac models have been made (yet), but one of the team members did hint that some progress had been made by him on his own G4 Mac laptop.  I can't remember if it was a PowerBook, or an iBook.  Even though it would seem logical to port to other G4 Mac models, the Dev Team might have completely different plans for the future, or they may find that some of the G4 Mac models are more difficult to crack and complete a port to than the MacMini was.  I would imagine that much of their time in the near future will be spent still working on improvements for the MacMini release, as it could probably still use some improvements and there are still missing drivers for some of the MacMini's hardware add-ons too.

Personally, I am hoping for a port to the G4 PowerBook's, as I would love to have a fast MorphOS laptop.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 04:51:17 AM by amigadave »

Offline tonyyeb

• Show only replies by tonyyeb
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2009, 08:25:19 AM »
iBook would be my preferred choice.
Chris (aka tonyyeb)

Offline PulsatingQuasar

• Show only replies by PulsatingQuasar
    • http://none
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2009, 03:55:55 PM »
Did you already saw this page?

http://www.sintonen.fi/hw.html

It looks like it is already running on a Powerbook. It would be great if that would also work in the near future.

I'm going to try it this weekend on my Mac Mini.
BlizzardPPC powered!!
AmigaOne-XE G3 800 MHz, 512 MB RAM, Radeon 8500, OS4

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2009, 04:01:34 PM »
I've got this running on my Mini now... Its pretty awesome. I'm running it on the lowest spec mini you can get and it still fly's (1.25ghz/256mb ram)

The ibook/powerbook version of MorphOS will make a lot of people really happy!
I know my old ibook had the almost same specs as this mini.

Offline recidivist

• Show only replies by recidivist
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2009, 04:14:17 PM »
Efika has 128 meg of ram whilst minimig has 2 or 4 meg,original Amigas topped out at 8 or 9 meg  without  accelerator card,and even most of the accelerator cpu cards or the sought-after DKB memory card held 128 meg  MAX!

So one might think 128 meg on the efika should have been enough!

Offline Golem!dk

• Show only replies by Golem!dk
    • http://www.google.com/
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2009, 04:33:37 PM »
Quote from: recidivist;526235
Efika has 128 meg of ram whilst minimig has 2 or 4 meg,original Amigas topped out at 8 or 9 meg  without  accelerator card,and even most of the accelerator cpu cards or the sought-after DKB memory card held 128 meg  MAX!

So one might think 128 meg on the efika should have been enough!

For some apps it will be, but once you launch things like OWB those 128MB are gone fairly quick.
~