Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Miami + Ethernet LAN + Gateway + Cable modem  (Read 2588 times)

Description:

Offline tonywTopic starter

• Show only replies by tonyw
Miami + Ethernet LAN + Gateway + Cable modem
« on: December 30, 2002, 11:16:10 PM »
OK, I've been searching through the archives but I can not find an old thread that discusses the combination.

Has anyone ever used Miami with a LAN and gateway? I can't get it to use the gateway.

The setup:
The Ethernet LAN in the house has one machine working as a gateway to the cable modem. All the Windoze machines in the house + one IMac and two printers use the LAN. The gateway runs IPRoute under MS-DOS.

I have a new Thylacine board in the 4000 with an internal 5-port hub and USB-Ethernet adaptor, now connected to the LAN.

The problem: I can not configure Miami to use the gateway. I have tried several alternative configurations with SANA-2, but whatever I try, Miami insists on changing the gateway IP address back to 255.255.255.0. MiamiInit is quite capable of reading the adaptor (MAC address, etc) and even says it is "online".

Once Miami is "online", I can ping all the other machines on the LAN (including the gateway), and they can all ping me. But any reference to an IP address outside the LAN (like an Internet site address) gets no reply. In fact, it appears to be returned with an error status of -1 (by Miami?). This is what you would expect, since Miami has refused to accept the gateway address.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Please don't tell me to check my DNS entries, I am talking purely numeric IP addys here, haven't started on the DNS yet.

tony

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
Re: Miami + Ethernet LAN + Gateway + Cable modem
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2002, 03:06:29 AM »
Gateway at 255.255.255.0?? That's usually the netmask. What do you have in the netmask entry then?

I have no clue what I'm talking about, just saying how stuff is configged here =) (and I use netconnect2 with an old Genesis version, in which DHCP is fooked up).

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2002, 03:33:46 AM »
@TonyW-
Just disable DHCP and set everything manually.  Copy the info out of winipcfg from your windows box and type it in, substituting an unused address as your IP.  There are certain DHCP and BOOTP things that microsoft does (probably non-standard) that don't seem to be supported in Miami.

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2002, 03:42:16 AM »
The netmask is 255.255.255.0. I type "192.168.1.1" into the gateway address gadget and hit Enter. It stays there in the box, but if you select a different menu window, then go back to "interfaces", it has been changed to 255. etc.

I've managed to get AmiTCP demo version 4.0 up and running, and can see some reasonable Internet speed out of the Amy after all these years. But it's only the demo version. I'm currently trying to get Genesis to configure and run, just to try it.

But I really want to be able to use Miami - after all, I paid for it many years ago and I can't stand the annoy-ware messages from demo AmiTCP  :-x

Someone must have used Miami in this configuration.

tony

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2002, 03:48:24 AM »
"Just disable DHCP and set everything manually."

Been there, done that. No DHCP anywhere, all static.

tony

Offline Kurt

• Show only replies by Kurt
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2002, 05:26:59 AM »
I use miami deluxe and a router as DHCP server for my DSL
everything is automatic

if you set up your amiga manualy
ip address is your computer
dns address is your router

thats is all you have to do for it to work
if you can ping it at least the hardware is setup
too tired for a longer expl.
going to bed now.

Kurt

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2002, 07:57:58 AM »
The netmask is 255.255.255.0. I type "192.168.1.1" into the gateway address gadget and hit Enter. It stays there in the box, but if you select a different menu window, then go back to "interfaces", it has been changed to 255. etc.

That's weird!  I just tried it out on my setup and it doesn't do what youd described.

Well, make sure DHCP is infact turned off on the TCP/IP screen as well.  However, if you're able to ping other computers on your network but not access the internet it could be that your DNS is not configured properly (or not at all).  Have you tried to ping IP addresses outside the net (and by that I mean an IP address in the form of XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX where X are numerical digits)?  Just a thought.  Keep us posted.

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2003, 01:21:20 AM »
[Grrr] I thought I made it clear that DNS and DHCP don't come into it. I've ONLY been typing in xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx addresses. Local addresses are fine, non-existent local addresses time out, external addresses return -1 error code.

Glaucus, what is your LAN configuration?

Anyway, I've now proved that it's a Miami-only problem. AmiTCP works just fine, so does Genesis. I was hoping that someone has gotten Miami to work in this configuration.

I guess I'll just have to use Genesis alone for the LAN, and keep Miami in a dial-up version for those occasions when only a dial-up will do. That is, if I can get Genesis to go online automatically. I've got used to OSes where the TCP stack is started for you.

tony

Offline BouncingAyatollah

• Show only replies by BouncingAyatollah
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2003, 05:30:53 AM »
That is, if I can get Genesis to go online automatically. I've got used to OSes where the TCP stack is started for you.

I know this is really cheesy but I just dropped Genesis into Wbstartup and ticked Auto-Online in the config at the Interfaces->Services tab! :-) It works though.
\\"Whose souls, albeit in a cloudy memory, yet seek back their good,
but, like drunk men, know not the road home.\\" -- BOETHIUS

Offline Desmon

• Show only replies by Desmon
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2003, 08:35:35 AM »
@tonyw

I don't unse Miami in quite the same configuration as yours, so I have a couple of questions first. Are you sure the gateway address IS 192.168.1.1?
Have you tried immediately saving your Miami config after making changes?
Have you also got the interfaces -> eth0 -> edit -> gateway set to "static"?

Let us know how your fare.
Cache Ya,
Craig.

Busy playing with my Trainz and loving it!

Offline edderkop

• Show only replies by edderkop
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2003, 11:51:11 AM »
are you using the version of miami from the os3.5 cd ,if you are then you problem is it's GUI (the REACTION GUI forget what you type in to it) .
i got that problem in the past. :-)
Trouble sleeping
Experts recommend that a person with trouble sleeping practice Orc slaying techniques including gut trashing and beheading. These techniques reduce arousal and keep the sleeper’s mind off the sleep problems.

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2003, 09:34:40 PM »
@edderkop-
Very astute.  I forgot about that problem.  Yeah, don't use the reaction GUI (the MUI one works, afaik).   :-D

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2003, 10:18:52 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for all the tips. Now for answers:

@Bouncy: yes, the auto-start button was pointed out to me, thanks. Also the auto-close button. But the USB stack takes a minute to come up, so I'll have to run a new script that starts the USB stack, delays for a minute, etc.

@Desmon: yes, it's the same on all other machines, including this PC. All addresses on the LAN are static. Remember, it works with AmiTCP.

@edderkop: It's Miami version 3.2b, 09/11/98, registered. I think I had it before OS3.5 came out. I can't remember the version of the latest Aminet one. I thought my version used MUI, but the GUI box says ClassAct. I'm not sure now which version I'm running. I'll look into it again.

tony

Offline ironfist

• Show only replies by ironfist
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2003, 11:44:04 PM »
Well.. My config is as follows:
ADSL Alcatel modem > D-Link 604 Gateway > A1200 with X-Surf.

With Miami Deluxe i used the auto settings and it worked just fine.

But i did have lots of problems with AmiTCP/Genesis. But I finally got that working too. I have to use 3 configs and make them all online, hehe. Wierd. 2 of them are exactly the same and the other has another Amiga-IP, hehe. Well well, Amiga hacks in a nutshell.

We all know the Amiga isn't much of an Inet-computer. That's a fact. We will just have to live with that things are working when you don't expect them to.

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2003, 12:39:56 AM »
@TonyW-
Yeah, try the other version of the GUI, if you can.  (ReAction and ClassAct are the same thing)

I had used Miami under OS 3.1/3.5/3.9 for a long time with great success (other than being forced to disable DHCP!).  I faintly remember the problem you were describing, too.  Can you manually edit a config file outside the GUI?  I either did that, or switched GUIs.  

The problem I ran into later was that my X-Surf died, and Miami didn't properly support the C= network card I got to replace it.  Genesis works great, though.