Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What's happening with Matrox?  (Read 3842 times)

Description:

Offline BlackMonk

• Show only replies by BlackMonk
Re: What's happening with Matrox?
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2002, 03:45:26 PM »
BTW, if I had the money, I actually WOULD buy a Parhelia and one of either of these:

http://www.panoramtech.com/products/pv230.html

http://www.panoramtech.com/products/pv290.html

Heh, surround gaming would kick ass!

Offline BlackMonk

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2002, 03:49:29 PM »
Your daughter... plays... GTA3?

Whoa.  That seems so non-typical that a female would be interested in that type of game.  Perhaps I'm just stereotyping, though, I dunno.  Women don't seem as attracted to mindless violence as men, though.

My fiancee was unable to play GTA2 on her 1 GHz P3 with a GF2Go video card.  Bad stuttering and framerates.  I don't know if that is related to the video being slow or the game being poorly-written when interfacing with nvidia cards.  So the fact that you got a ghetto G550 working decently with it is a nice feat!  ;)

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2002, 05:58:52 PM »
@BlackMonk

Matrox WAS a well-respected company in the PC market, too, well-renowned for their image quality. Now, however, that reputation has taken a severe beating

Depends who you talk to.. Like I said, I believe 2D image still is way better then a GF4.

As for the financial info, well, MURC used to have some posts and articles written by laid-off employees that the MURC news poster (VigilAnt) flew to Canadia to personally interview.

Ah.. The best info; laid off employers... Sorry, read these to, but so what.. I'm more interested in stock market reports and dusty number reportings.. Many big companys laid people off, happens every year.

The owners also were removed from Canadia's "top 100 richest people" where they used to be around the 80th position or so.

Well, that's a bit interesting. But could also mean that other people became richer then them, not that they lost money.

If most of their revenue, though, comes from the PC division

I have no info backing this, but it seems Matrox has been more of a "profesional" GFX suplier then consumer... That's why most people were happy when Matrox was announced to be a "partner", just like the Amiga, Matrox is pro video.

The main thing that people are pissed about is that the Parhelia has problems--confirmed, real problems, and Matrox is denying that these problems even exist (the banding is what I am referring to).

Like what other company doesn't deny problems with their products ? M$ certainly seems to deny any serious problems, yet you can update Windows several times a week. So does Phillips/Sony/Amiga deny problems until proven otherwise in public by several non related people.

Well, in many tests the damn thing is slower than a GeForce3

Test ? I give a rat's *ss about tests.. FYI, the parhelia outperformed the Geforce 4 with some demos that were made to demonstrate the Geforce 4 powers.. So what does that proof ? Anyway, both Geforce3 and 4, the Ati Radeons and the Parhelia can do more then most games throw at them.. Most games are still programmed with the Geforce 2 era in mind (except Doom 3 ;-)).. And DX8 could use some more optimasations (SP?)

this card was slower than the competition the second it was released.

So you get 90 FPS instead of 100 FPS, while your display can only refresh 80FPS..... If you buy a Parhelia you do so for the triple monitor support and superior GFX. (DVD movies with 10it Gigacolor (TM) look great, Unreal and wolfenstein have never been so much fun.. Even Tiberian sun is great over 3 displays :-D )

AGP 4x has little to no performance benefit over AGP 2x--and by the time applications will NEED the extra bandwidth

There aren't that many 8x mobo's sold yet, I guess 2003 will see them more and more ;-)..  Still, I prefer that the GFX get even more ram onboard.

I wish I had more solid info for you, but the most solid info was from former (and current) employees of Matrox and those comments were lawyered away from MURC. So... you only have second-hand recollections from me and I didn't follow things too closely.

I wish so to... Also seems that G800 rumors threads are gone from the matrox forums..

All of my information has been gleaned from online sources, not first-hand.

Hmmm.... Having had a GF4, and now a Parhelia I can say I prefer the Parhelia... But I'm not just interested in gaming, that's on the third place for me. If your a hardcore gamer then a more powerfull FPS card may be a better choice.. Then again, having a bigger POV in Firts person shooters is realy great, I hope other GFX cards will have this option one day to.

Another thing,  you seemed a bit angry in your replys, sorry if I upset you, but if you don't own the a Parhelia or never ownded one, why ?

~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

Offline BlackMonk

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2002, 07:44:07 PM »
I'M NOT ANGRY YOU SON OF A !$#@~@)$*(

;)

I was a bit annoyed with that other guy saying/implying that we shouldn't care about Matrox's consumer-level offerings because they have good broadcast equipment or whatever.

Sorry, but I doubt I can afford or use something like that in my PC.  Or that it'll be working with an Amiga anytime soon?  It just seemed absurd to go off on the broadcast equipment tangent when that is SO not applicable to this thread.

Anyway, I should have mentioned "current employees" more often.  No, it wasn't just bitter ex-employees.  It was also anonymous current employees.  In fact, all of the ex-employees LIKED the company and products but were disheartened by the lack of leadership, the cancelling of future products, and the apparent total power that the marketing department had over product focus, i.e. people don't want performance, they want headcasting!

2D quality the Parhelia is great.  However, many of the users of this card got it to do CAD/CAM stuff over multiple monitors and with 3D-accelerated rendering.  The banding issues THERE are not inconsequential and the 2D quality or gigabit color don't help those people.  Yeah, I guess they could pay for a bunch of DVI-based LCDs or try to get their company to do so, but hard to justify that if you already have 3 24" CRT monitors that you got for this purpose.  :)

I believe the banding also shows up in games.  So... even the non-professional users are seeing this in recreational computing.  Now if you had this banding issue you would run into it--you don't run 2D only.  And if you ran into it I'm fairly certain you'd start to wonder about the quality of this product--especially when you find that Matrox officially denies this as happening (even though current and ex employees said that it was a known issue BEFORE shipping but they decided to ship it anyway) and in some cases refuses an RMA.

You plunk down, what is it, $400 for the card? and then find an extremely noticable image quality flaw and THEN get told that what you're seeing doesn't exist AND you cannot get the card replaced under warranty, well, then you'd likely have a different opinion of the matter.  You see, that's what's been happening with several of the Parhelia purchasers.  That's why they are beginning to get frustrated with Matrox and feel as though they have been betrayed or deceived.  Or cheated, at least.  You were lucky and got a good Parhelia, great.  But there are many documented instances where the card's been shown to be flawed and Matrox has turned their backs on their own customers.

That's what gets my goat.  How can you, as a business, just do that?  Matrox used to treat the customers much differently.  Then the G400 got rushed, apparently, and the G800 got crippled and turned into the G550 instead.  Then the Parhelia came out.  All the time Matrox started slowly bleeding employees and no longer investing in R&D.  

I mean, the Parhelia doesn't even do bandwidth saving compression of geometry or, what is it, occulsion testing?  I forgot the term so that might be the wrong one.  Basically, it doesn't test to see if something is visible before sending it to be rendered.  Both these performance-enhancing features had been on cards that were released at LEAST a year before the Parhelia was released, probably a year before the Parhelia was even ANNOUNCED.  So they spend their time making a buff shader back-end but don't do no-brainer performance enhancements that have been around for a while?

Ah, something I had forgotten to mention, some of the employees interviewed had actually left, not been laid off.  They were so frustrated with the environment and lack of direction/morale that they quit without even finding another job first.  So they aren't bitter due to being laid off, there's something else that got them to leave.

For the Parhelia performance, sure, in some games it is 100 fps versus 90 fps.  In others it is like 40 fps versus 100 fps.  I think Tom's Hardware has some extensive card roundups.  I hate Tom's with a passion, but it is a necessary evil.

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20021218/index.html

Oh, here's your vaunted Parhelia running on the fastest PC hardware currently available:

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20021218/vgacharts-04.html

Oh, look, it is performing on par with the current BUDGET cards from ATI and nvidia, the GF4MX and the 9000.  Even somewhat close to an SIS video card.  SIS for God's sake!  A GeForce3 that was released, what, over a year before the Parhelia? is kicking the crap out of the Matrox card.

I used the UT2003 benchmarks because Matrox themselves claim that the Parhelia is not designed for high fps in older games at lower resolution, it is designed to better weather more complex/demanding games at higher resolution with minimal performance loss.

Granted this benchmark doesn't show how well the Parhelia weathers different resolutions or features being enabled, but it's being beaten by budget and year-older cards.

How about this one?

http://www17.tomshardware.com/graphic/20021218/vgacharts-06.html

Where other cards are basically CPU-bound, not fillrate-bound, the Parhelia is clearly already at the limits of the chip, not the CPU.  That's what the flat results of the faster cards imply and the fact that the Parhelia is pretty far back from them shows that the card is the bottleneck, not the system.  A GeForce2 solidly beats the Parhelia.

Now look, any way you slice it, the Parhelia's got some issues.  You're paying $400 for a card so you can... watch DVDs in gigabit color, have three monitors, and love the 2D quality.  You already said that you don't put a high emphasis on games so I guess we can ignore surround gaming (which isn't supported by every game, last I checked, and also drops performance down a bit--which is a shame since the resolution is also limited in what you can choose?)  And what happens?

You're paying $400 for a video card that is slower than a GeForce2.  

Now you might enjoy your Parhelia, that's fine.  Feel free to enjoy it.  Until recently I was running a Voodoo3 2000 PCI because, well, it was good enough for me.

To be fair:

http://www17.tomshardware.com/graphic/20021218/vgacharts-02.html

There's one benchmark on a very tough engine that shows the Parhelia FINALLY beating all the GeForce 3 cards.  There's still at 16% jump in performance from the Parhelia to the slowest non-budge GeForce 4, though, but at least it finally edges out the year-older card.

However, if I recall correctly, the ATI and nvidia cards were either already out when the Parhelia finally shipped (not announced way back in... March? but actually shipped) or shipped soon after.  

The shakey image issues and the questionable business practice of Matrox makes buying an expensive, under-performing card for professional work seem iffy.  You can get an nvidia Quadro, ATI FireGL, or low-end 3DLabs WildCat III for around the same price.  

I suppose I might also be irate because I'm disappointed.  To me, Matrox always meant performance and quality.  This card has neither and Matrox just blindly PR's on about other things.

Performance is OK compared to other cards released or on the market at the same time.  In the same ballpark, at least.  Quality is iffy depending on the card you get--the kicker there is that Matrox will ignore you if you try to get the problem resolved.

If the card's great for what you use it for, excellent!  I would not buy a Parhelia unless it was guaranteed not to have banding issues or unless I had a need (and ability to get) multiple monitors/LCDs.

I have a TV for watching DVDs.  I have a GeForce3 for playing games.  I have the option to get a dual-head video card and a separate PCI-based card if I want three screens.  About the only thing I lose out on is the surround gaming but since I don't game too much it isn't a big deal.

You wanted to know what was going on with Matrox, this is what is going on with Matrox.  You can't look at Matrox's financials because it's a privately-held company that doesn't disclose that information.  I don't think that Matrox is listed in any Canadian or US stock markets so you can't find any information that way.  I know you're more interested in hard numbers and facts, but Matrox doesn't provide those.

I think the last information on Matrox financials is from the year 2000.  Other than that any official inquiry gets ignored and they only thing they talk about is their past products and how excellent they were and how Matrox is the choice for excellence, blah blah blah.  Oh, you can now buy a 256 MB version of the Parhelia for $600.  Yay.

There's a difference between realism and blind optimism.  The Parhelia seems to be a good fit for you and there's nothing wrong with that.  However, your responses seem to be somewhat apologetic or dismissive--the issues I'm bringing up are not FUD, they are fact.  You can find this information elsewhere on the 'net if you look hard enough.

If you discount all things employees say, then you have NO way of knowing what Matrox is currently like or what they are currently doing.  If you give excuses as to why it doesn't matter that a $400 card can be beaten, performance-wise, by a GeForce 2, then I can't cite any benchmark numbers.  If you don't care about physical defects in the products shipped to other people and accept a company renowned for its image quality categorically denying that there is an issue, then I cannot call into question their character or business practices.

You can keep your blinders on if you want, it doesn't matter to me.  I'm stuck working on a holiday while the rest of my company is off so I have nothing else to do for 8 hours today.  Yay for network operations!  :D  Long posts are fun because when researching various points I often learn a bit more about the situation I'm discussing.

I think Matrox's PC product division is in big trouble and being horribly mismanaged.  Only time will tell if they are able to regain the trust of their former proponents.

You haven't upset me and I hope I'm not too bothersome to you.  It's just that you seem so out of the loop for a Matrox user that I find it hard to believe you haven't seen all these complaints before.  It seems like you're only hearing about these for the first time in this thread.

I wish Matrox luck and I'd probably pick up a Parhelia 2 when it gets released... if they hadn't apparently cancelled the project.

I hope these are all just unfounded rumors but seeing Matrox's conduct and the issues with their current hardware has me leaning towards assumption of the worst.

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2002, 09:00:16 PM »
I'M NOT ANGRY YOU SON OF A !$#@~@)$*(

Ok... that's good :-) ;-)

Sorry, but I doubt I can afford or use something like that in my PC.

Well, it's not like it's my habbit of forking out 490 euro for 1 gfx card, and 1200 euro for 3 Belinea 101570s (Highly recommend if anyone is looking for a good TFT screen)... I don't expect to buy any PC related hardware for say 4 to 5 years.. (How fast can a P4 2Ghz grow old  :-o ......)

It just seemed absurd to go off on the broadcast equipment tangent when that is SO not applicable to this thread.

Hmm... The topic is what's happening with Matrox, and if he means that Matrox is more and more becomming a broadcast/profesional equipment manufactor it is related to this topic.. Maybe not to your first post.

I believe the banding also shows up in games. So... even the non-professional users are seeing this in recreational computing.

I had this with my Geforce 2 card, but not with games.. Or at least I didn't notice them when playing games.. Tho that was a driver isue.. And somewhat unrelated here ;-)

You see, that's what's been happening with several of the Parhelia purchasers. That's why they are beginning to get frustrated with Matrox and feel as though they have been betrayed or deceived.

I'm not saying this isn't true, but in the Netherlands a dealer must replace the defective product if it is returned within 1 week (it's then a DOA) or if the customer wants replace it with another similar priced product. This may not be the case in other countries, but I sure as hell would go to the dealer, not Matrox.. (Would be difficult if the card was bought directly from Matrox)

That's what gets my goat. How can you, as a business, just do that?

Well, it's easier then to try to make customers happy..

Matrox used to treat the customers much differently.

Well, if they are in financial trouble they would try to do as little exchanging/repairing as possible..

Then the G400 got rushed, apparently, and the G800 got crippled and turned into the G550 instead. Then the Parhelia came out. All the time Matrox started slowly bleeding employees and no longer investing in R&D.

How familiar.. C= anyone ?

I mean, the Parhelia doesn't even do bandwidth saving compression of geometry or, what is it, occulsion testing?...Basically, it doesn't test to see if something is visible before sending it to be rendered.

Indeed it doesn't, can't think of the correct term at all, but I do believe Matrox explained why they didn't include this in the Parhelia.. Can't find it tho..

which isn't supported by every game, last I checked, and also drops performance down a bit--which is a shame since the resolution is also limited in what you can choose?

Hmmm.. I've only seen 1 test in a magazine about surround gaming performance, and the drop was either minimal or just as fast... AFAIK, the max res is 3 x 1024*768 but that's only when using stretched desktop and in games.. (No problem for me either, the TFT screens won't go higher then that).. The first drivers also had a problem with displaying video within a triple monitor setup, but it's working great now.

I'll skip commenting on the links, I believe I've read them all allready...  Besides, I don't beleive in most of these benchmarks, some of them are biased towards one card or another, I prefer live testing.. (Not always possible, I was lucky to be able to borrow a Geforce 4 when I got my Parhelia, so I could compare them)

If the card's great for what you use it for, excellent!

ThanX, it is ;-)

I would not buy a Parhelia unless it was guaranteed not to have banding issues or unless I had a need (and ability to get) multiple monitors/LCDs.

I've said it in other threads/forums, I only recomend the Parhelia if you want it's extra features.. If you want raw 3D power get a Geforce 4 or the latest radeon.

You can't look at Matrox's financials because it's a privately-held company that doesn't disclose that information.

Bummer ain't it ? ;-)... Who knows, if they are in financial troubles maybe they go "to market" to get some cash..

There's a difference between realism and blind optimism.[/]

Again; how familiar :-)

However, your responses seem to be somewhat apologetic or dismissive--the issues I'm bringing up are not FUD, they are fact. You can find this information elsewhere on the 'net if you look hard enough.

Well, the reason why I'm "dismissive" is because I also know of troubles about Geforce / Radeon cards, and you often hear only the bad experiences... A lot of the bad feelings also comes from the overhyping done at MURC and other websites and the computer press. Somewhere down the line Ben Hermans said this card was a Geforce Killer (Feature wise it may well be), but Matrox never claimed it would beat the Geforce 4 IIRC (If I'm not, then I stand corrected later on).

I'm stuck working on a holiday while the rest of my company is off so I have nothing else to do for 8 hours today

I know how you feel... This is the first year in 3 years time I don't have to "stand by" during newyear, and don't have to work on the first day of the year..

i][I think Matrox's PC product division is in big trouble and being horribly mismanaged.

I think it's more a PR problem at the moment, but that's after R&D "cancelled" the G800 / relabeled it to G550 and after the Parhelia overhyping..

You haven't upset me and I hope I'm not too bothersome to you.

If I found you bothersome, then I wouldn't reply.

It's just that you seem so out of the loop for a Matrox user

Hmmm At work I use some G200 type chip (not sure, can't check it) and the Parhelia is the first Matrox card I have bought.. Before that it was nVidia and before that Voodoo.. I couldn't care less about Matrox, I do know that my next card is another triplehead card, either from Matrox or from somebody else.. Offcourse, if none of them exists, ah well, live goes on.. I have other important things to worry abouth (Health being one)

It seems like you're only hearing about these for the first time in this thread.

No I heard them before, but having to hear problems of others on a daily basis, and hear people teling me something doesn't work but wont' listen when I tell them how to fix it (Really... If a network printer can't be "pinged" then it's either switched off, unplugged, bad cable, or kaput... Reinstalling the drivers isn't going to work.. Jet, they refuse to check any cabling ! (I can't do it for them, I work "remote") I take these kind of reports a little light.

I wish Matrox luck and I'd probably pick up a Parhelia 2 when it gets released... if they hadn't apparently cancelled the project.

Nothing on the Parhelia 2, AFAIK only rumors. I don't expect it to be released for at least another year (Matrox doesn't seem to release new products as fast as ATI/nVidia) and don't expect it to beat he competition powerwise either...

I hope these are all just unfounded rumors but seeing Matrox's conduct and the issues with their current hardware has me leaning towards assumption of the worst.

Time will tell... Hell, as an Amiga user we should be used to this....

2 hours to countdown... But happy newyear just in case....
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2002, 10:09:24 PM »
matrox's are pretty useless now... dual monitor support isnt a problem these days...nor is displaying 32bit color ... their gigacolor technology is junk as it strips the alpha to 1bit...worthless...

Radeon's have comparable 2D...and their 3D is alot better... GF4's 2D isnt as good but their 3D is immensly better as is their price..

screw matrox...

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2003, 01:07:16 AM »
Yes, maybe you're right mips_proc.
ATI are a pretty good manufacturer, its just a bitter shame that voodoo cards have stopped being developed.

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2003, 02:49:45 AM »
3dfx got bought by nvidia GforceFX is co-developed by the old Nvidia team and re-badged 3dfx team... I have high hopes :P

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2003, 03:37:27 AM »
Matrox lost MY trust year ago. At that time I got this nice 20" (1600*1200 true resolution) LCD display for work. For it I decided to get Matrox card (550 I think) with DVI output, cause I knew that Nvidia is weak on 2D and Radeon drivers were bad for Win2k (my previous was radeon) ..

Installing etc went fine BUT I never got this card to work as expected.. With oldfashioned Analog VGA it worked 1600*1200 quite nicely, but I wanted to use DVI cause it's better with LCD. BUT.. i never worked anything better than 1200*900 (or so) ... :-o   :-?

After LONG hunt of datasheets etc I finally found that while their  card is quite capable of displaying all imaginable resolutions on Analog, but digital output it was castrated.   :evil:

And now.. after reading  Parnhelia performing so badly especially such  high-price card. I see no interest to them anymore.  They were Great once (hey.. original Millenium was killer), and they may well return one day. But at the moment they are nothing but a memory of what once was..  :-(  

Offline KrasH

• Show only replies by KrasH
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2003, 05:39:36 AM »

mips_proc wrote:
matrox's are pretty useless now... dual monitor support isnt a problem these days...nor is displaying 32bit color ... their gigacolor technology is junk as it strips the alpha to 1bit...worthless...

Radeon's have comparable 2D...and their 3D is alot better... GF4's 2D isnt as good but their 3D is immensly better as is their price..

screw matrox...

I use my GeForce 4 with dual monitor setup. Quite a dream to use (especially for flight simulator 2002). But I would sure love to have the 3 Monitor support of the Matrox Parlema (whatever the name is). A mag reviewer said "playing quake III with 3 monitor panoramic was fun." He also went on to say he started suffering from motion sickness..
Amiga 4000 CSPPC [retired]
Intel i7 3930K @ 4.3Ghz / Corsair H100 / Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 16 GB / 2 x 240GB Corsair Force GT SSD / 2 x EVGA 2GB 680GTX SC Sig / 3 x Benq XL2420T / 1 x Samsung 2443 BW+
27" iMac / i7 @ 3.4 / 680mx / 3TB Fusion / 32GB RAM

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2003, 08:38:40 AM »
I know it would be fun...but would it be fun to get erroneous clipping? or other issues that the parhelia has with opengl? ... nahh.. screw Matrox ... they want likd 400+ for Parhelias....I dont need 3 monitors to play games...nor would I want to (cg_fov 120 works fine in Q3 for me) because I'd need to turn my head all around to play and heck..for the price of a matrox parhelia and 2 more monitors to game I could easily afford an SXGA headset display(seriousely think about it)... so I see 'NO" point in them... their good cards yeah I mean if you need multiple monitors for Linux there is no other...but ever since the G550 I've seen matrox as a bad solution... Joanna I solute you... I had the very same expierance except I had it with Linux... G550 came out I expected XFree to support it and I expected multidesk to be working no problem... and I even read on several sites the G550 was supported...no luck here... never again..and Parhelia I see as a total ripoff... for the price you can do better...in my opinon you can at least... GF4 Ti4400+PCI Radeon VE...thats all the kickass 2D/3D you need...and still have enough left over to buy something else.

and when the GForceFX ships I expect to see something truely astonding... Nvidia with KILLER 2D (at least old 3DFX level 2D)... best 3D ever (even beating 3dlabs cards in light tests) and probably Quad head versions of that board... so I'd hold off with the 400 on a parhelia right now..

Offline BlackMonk

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2003, 03:48:02 PM »

Actually, it has 2-bit alpha.  10+10+10+2 = 32bit.  However, considering all current graphics cards (on the PC at least, also probably Macintosh and consumer-level *nix cards) don't even USE the alpha channel in 2D, who cares?  In that case you're getting only 24 bits of visible color for your vaunted "32-bit color mode".  Pffft.

Gigacolor does NOT come into affect in 3D mode, if I recall correctly.  So yes, there you can still use the regular 8-bit alpha that all other modern 3D cards use.

For being useless, Matrox still has the best 2D quality (barring random lines appearing on some defective Parhelia cards) and STILL gets kudos from all kinds of computer publications for their multi-monitor support and multi-monitor software.

ATI and nvidia are decent but about the same level of refinement as Matrox had about 1.5 to 2 years ago.  If you don't need a high level of quality for multiple monitor support, hey, they work just fine.  

And the surround gaming is really cool, I just wish it were on a cheaper card as I think it would be a great feature/selling point.  As it is, only the elitist can afford it.  Bumping up the FOV is NOT the same thing--unless you like looking at warped images through a fish-eye type camera perspective.  If that's how you like playing games, eh, more power to ya.

The Matrox G100 and G200 (and now G550s?) come in quad-monitor configurations for what seems to be primarily financial applications.  Somewhat pricey but not too bad, they have had quad monitor support for years now.  And have been in use in professional applications.  I think the cost is around $600 or so for the G200MMS... is that what is was called?  My memory is foggy and I'm too lazy to look it up.

Matrox has some nice features but they don't know how to market them or which features to market.  That's the real shame.

Despite how much I'm ragging on Matrox, I really do like what they are doing.  Environmental bumpmapping got good exposure mainly due to Matrox.  Their multiple monitor support is second to none--period.  Check the web for comparitive reviews, they all point to Matrox being on top in that category though falling behind on performance.  And displacement mapping?  Matrox is trying to come up with some stuff that's actually original rather than just following what MS wants in DirectX 9.x or what nvidia is doing.  That takes guts but unfortunately I don't know if these nifty features will ever be used.

::sigh::

Dangit, Matrox, why are you screwing up your execution so much?  You've got so much promise!

Offline ksk

• Show only replies by ksk
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2003, 07:08:40 PM »
IIRC, G800 was not released because it was not advanced enough. G550 version (downgraded G800?) was released instead. G800 then morphed to G1200 or G1600. And later it morphed to Parhelia.

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2003, 07:59:40 PM »
Whoa. That seems so non-typical that a female would be interested in that type of game. Perhaps I'm just stereotyping, though, I dunno. Women don't seem as attracted to mindless violence as men, though.

I don't believe those stereotypes any more!  My ex was more into violant and gory games then I am!  Many of my female friends enjoy Vice City on the PS2 and love porn just as much as any guy!  Times are a changing (and I'm lovin' it!).   ;-)

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #28 from previous page: January 01, 2003, 10:22:35 PM »
Glaucus:  Many of my female friends enjoy Vice City on the PS2 and love porn just as much as any guy!

Here here.  I bet you haven't seen a 14 year old girl draw wicked porn, though.  And to top it off, she's really nice, too.  You meet some weird people at cartooning conventions...

...but, we live in weird times.