Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Emulator for NeXT Step?  (Read 5413 times)

Description:

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Re: Emulator for NeXT Step?
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 10, 2011, 08:44:51 PM »
what else we got ?  fm radio yet , or is that 2 year old rumour just that
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2011, 09:16:58 PM »
Quote from: JJ;663155
what else we got ?  fm radio yet , or is that 2 year old rumour just that
No chance of a Radio, Apple don't ever add aged technology... It's a bit annoying at first, but you get used to it. But iOS5 does give you a healthy speed up :)

Offline nicholasTopic starter

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2011, 09:22:26 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;663117
Notifications was something that I really liked on Android (though I think Android copied it from WebOS)

Doesn't Android pre-date WebOS?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2011, 09:30:59 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;663161

Android yes, notifications no (as far as I can remember). I had a Nexus One for a few weeks to test it out and I don't remember notifications.

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2011, 10:16:41 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;663162
Android yes, notifications no (as far as I can remember). I had a Nexus One for a few weeks to test it out and I don't remember notifications.

I've only used Android since 2.1 which had them, can't say whether 1.5/1.6 did or not though.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline esc

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2011, 12:36:38 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;663160
No chance of a Radio, Apple don't ever add aged technology... It's a bit annoying at first, but you get used to it. But iOS5 does give you a healthy speed up :)

Additionally, I can tell you from the perspective of a radio / rf theory guy...that you simply need a decent sized anteanna to listen to FM radio well.  And it's all line-of-sight, so a tiny little antennae hidden inside a cell phone and you're inside a building, it just won't work well.  Most of the cell phones that have been reviewed that include FM receivers can contest to that.

Also, we may be running out of room to place antennae components :)

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2011, 01:27:38 AM »
Quote from: amigasociety;662728
And since I am a NeXT junkie, here is a short video of my NeXTcube Dual Dimension driving 2 large 21" displays running NeXTSTEP 3.3 and playing an MP3.

Fun stuff.  Still digg NeXTSTEP myself.

Enjoy.

tj

Little dark but hey, not a pro video guy and my room is ultra dark it seems.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj7_G6rabd4

Is there a web browser for the NeXT ??

Rich
ny

Offline amigasociety

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2011, 01:36:59 AM »
Quote from: Vlabguy1;663183
Is there a web browser for the NeXT ??

Rich
ny

Yes, Omniweb was the biggie there.  I actually browse websites (slowly) with it on my Cube when I use it.  Very outdated but can do some of the basics like get me on nextcomputers.org so I can download apps, etc...

Omniweb went on to be an OS X browser for a while on Macs since NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP basically became OS X.

TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2011, 01:41:44 AM »
TJ,

Is the Turbo Cube the macdaddy of the NeXT computers?  And do you have to use
a NeXT monitor?

Rich
ny

Offline amigasociety

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2011, 01:55:40 AM »
Quote from: Vlabguy1;663186
TJ,

Is the Turbo Cube the macdaddy of the NeXT computers?  And do you have to use
a NeXT monitor?

Rich
ny

NeXTcube Turbo with 1,2, or 3 NeXTdimension boards in it would be the Mac-daddy!  I need color so have to have those.  I have 2 NeXTdimensions in mine running two stock NeXT 21" CRT displays.

With the proper cable (someone makes them on NeXT forums I think), you can connect to non NeXT VGA displays.

I like to run 3 displays on mine.  The stock 17" Mono and then two NeXT 21" color.

TJ

Like this:
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2011, 02:30:26 AM »
Quote from: esc;663178
Additionally, I can tell you from the perspective of a radio / rf theory guy...that you simply need a decent sized anteanna to listen to FM radio well.  And it's all line-of-sight, so a tiny little antennae hidden inside a cell phone and you're inside a building, it just won't work well.  Most of the cell phones that have been reviewed that include FM receivers can contest to that.

Also, we may be running out of room to place antennae components :)

My Sony Ericsson phones use the headphones as an antennae for the FM radio.  Works pretty well.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2011, 08:09:43 AM »
Quote from: esc;663178
Most of the cell phones that have been reviewed that include FM receivers can contest to that.

My old phone also uses the headphone cord as an antenna. I thought that was how they all did it.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2011, 08:30:51 AM »
You would hope.  My nokia N900 used the bluetooth as a recevier and the headphones as an arieal.

It is anooying because I often want to listen to the radio in work, 500mb data allowance is not enough to use internet streaming.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2011, 08:38:50 AM »
Quote from: JJ;663211
You would hope.  My nokia N900 used the bluetooth as a recevier and the headphones as an arieal.

It is anooying because I often want to listen to the radio in work, 500mb data allowance is not enough to use internet streaming.
Hmmm, I didn't think of that... I'm on an unlimited data plan so I forget about people on capped plans and without WiFi :-/ I'm also not keen on any commercial radio stations so will d/l and sync podcasts with music and chat that I like rather than use radio... Is that and option for you?

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2011, 10:45:55 AM »
I do already sync a lot of podcasts, but there are occasions when radio would be good.

Yeah I wish I hadn't gone with vodafone. Three were much better.

I still go awhie to go on my contract. I gave my Nokia N900 to the wife. I broke my Creative Zen so needed a new mp3 player. Had an 8gb third gen ipod kicking around but not enough to replace my 60 gb creative. So though way as well buy an iphone rather than a 4th gen ipod.

Sorry Thread for the hijack
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 10:47:05 AM by JJ »

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2011, 11:04:45 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;663117
Notifications was something that I really liked on Android (though I think Android copied it from WebOS)
Quote from: nicholas;663161
Quote from: bloodline;663162

The pull-down notification window. Though these early phones clearly weren't without their flaws, it was almost universally acknowledged that Android nailed the notification system on day one — it would take iOS another three years before launching a design as effective at triaging messages and alerts coming from users' ever-growing collection of mobile apps. The secret was in the G1's unique status bar, which could be dragged downward to reveal every notification in a single list: text messages, voicemails, alarms, and so on. The fundamental concept lives on (in a refined form) even in version 4.0 today.
http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/7/2585779/android-history