Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ** HOT FLASH ** EFIKA is now the biggest ever Team Aros Bounty! **  (Read 10229 times)

Description:

Offline Cymric

• Show all replies
Piru was not (entirely) referring to the technical problems, but also to the many, many, MANY hours constructing all of the wrappers, interfaces, abstraction layers and more. This is extremely tedious, extremely boring, and extremely not-rewarding work.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline Cymric

• Show all replies
Re: ** HOT FLASH ** EFIKA is now the biggest ever Team Aros Bounty! **
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 12:37:12 AM »
No. Considering the amount of manhours which are sunk into this nigh bottomless pit, $10.000 is a laughable amount of money. I doubt you'd be able to hire a professional programmer for more than 3 or 4 months for that amount. Outsourcing to China or India gets 3, maybe 4 programmers, I think.

Apart from that, the non-rewarding part stems from the fact that it is rather low-level stuff which isn't very visible nor endowed with a high 'wow! cool!'-factor. To the user, it isn't really special when a window with a few gadgets is put on-screen, while in fact this is a very, very tough nut to crack in this project.

Have you ever tried Amigafying a program which is breathing Unix at every line of code? I have, and that was a program 100 times smaller than Firefox which didn't use any graphical UI nor publically available low-level libraries such as GDK, GTK+, libpng, and the like---in the end I got so fed up that I simply used the program on my PC instead. (The nasty proneness to crashing of the Amiga made coding a hell, too.) The people toying with the Firefox port are in effect backporting 10 years of software engineering advances on the Unix-platform to a platform which, while sharing some rudimentary characteristics, operates in a radically different way, nor is really supportive of projects of this magnitude and complexity. But hey, it's their spare time, not mine. To each their own.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.