Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows is buggy and slow lets buy a Mac  (Read 13705 times)

Description:

Offline ElPolloDiablTopic starter

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
Re: Windows is buggy and slow lets buy a Mac
« Reply #164 from previous page: March 30, 2010, 06:52:05 PM »
The idea of an OS has changed to automate more and more functions. The problem is that Windows assumes you want certain functions automated and 'disappears' everything thing else. I haven't used OS X so I can't comment on that.
Maybe because it is based on NT nobody at Microsoft has thought of making it user friendly to alter the base configuration.
What's the deal with a minimum virtual memory? I didn't install 4GB of RAM so I could hear the hard driving ticking away with god knows what.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #165 on: March 31, 2010, 01:15:45 AM »
Quote from: Fanscale;550416
The idea of an OS has changed to automate more and more functions. The problem is that Windows assumes you want certain functions automated and 'disappears' everything thing else. I haven't used OS X so I can't comment on that.
Maybe because it is based on NT nobody at Microsoft has thought of making it user friendly to alter the base configuration.

They do it because my grandmother doesn't know what a service (or deamon or detached process et al) is, let alone what something like the "Application Layer Gateway Service" serivce does. The same principle applies to everything else Windows "disappears."

What's the deal with a minimum virtual memory? I didn't install 4GB of RAM so I could hear the hard driving ticking away with god knows what.

Your hard disk is obviously counting down the milliseconds to armageddon.

Having a page file allows Windows to flush unused pages of memory and make better use of them, e.g. caching files and running foreground processes. In general, your page file(s) should be the higher of total system RAM or the commit charge peak less total RAM under load (viewable in Task Manager while all your stuff is running). There are very few valid reasons for having a smaller page file, and in a world of fast, low latency terrabyte-sized hard disks, storage isn't one of them. SSDs, while small, make the arguments against page files even lamer. They're uber fast and getting less expensive by the day. Even the pricey ones are less expensive than the equivilent amount of RAM. Imagine how much fun they'll be when they're connected directly to the memory bus (or a future perhiperhal bus running at full CPU speed). ;-)

Now, let's talk about swap partitions in *nix and OS4. Actually, let's not. The arguments for and against are exactly the same as Windows. Idle memory pages should be temporarily flushed and made available to active processes.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 04:04:47 PM by Trev »

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #166 on: March 31, 2010, 01:24:56 AM »
Streams of strange comments flow forth from the soup when end users come into contact with computer science concepts.

Offline Arkhan

• Show only replies by Arkhan
    • http://www.aetherbyte.com
« Reply #167 on: March 31, 2010, 06:36:08 AM »
Quote from: Trev;550461
They do it because my grandmother doesn't know what a service (or deamon or detached process et al) is, let alone what something like the "Application Layer Gateway Service" serivce does. The same principle applies to everything else Windows "disappears."

yerp.

and the people who are interested enough in the disappeared stuff, should have the knowledge handy to find out where it is hiding. :)  If not, they shouldn't be worrying about it.
I am a negative, rude, prick.  

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline Trev

• Zero
« Reply #168 on: March 31, 2010, 04:09:36 PM »
I think everyone is entitled to question Microsoft's design motives, but they should at least be questioned fairly. Most of Microsoft's product managers have active blogs and respond to comments and email, so you can usually get the answers you need directly from the people responsible, assuming you're polite.

I was a Novell zealot in the mid to late 90's, so I'm no stranger to questioning Microsoft.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #169 on: April 01, 2010, 10:59:52 AM »
Quote from: Trev;550554
I was a Novell zealot in the mid to late 90's, so I'm no stranger to questioning Microsoft.

Sounds SUSe to me..!

@ARKHAN Don't get me wrong I have no problem with MSs OSs> I use them everyday. I just find it frustrating that a new OS is marketed on flimsy features that effectively could be a SP or patch set for Win XP.  Market the beef.  The people that don't care about the technical details will buy it coz its new and cool.  So why not say.. It's new and cool and here's the specs man..

gertsy

Offline outlawal2

« Reply #170 on: April 01, 2010, 03:35:08 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;550654
Sounds SUSe to me..!

@ARKHAN Don't get me wrong I have no problem with MSs OSs> I use them everyday. I just find it frustrating that a new OS is marketed on flimsy features that effectively could be a SP or patch set for Win XP.  Market the beef.  The people that don't care about the technical details will buy it coz its new and cool.  So why not say.. It's new and cool and here's the specs man..

gertsy

So actually your beef really isn't with Windows Os at all, it is with MARKETING in general and that is a totally different animal...  (I HATE Marketing... And politics...)

Has little to do with whether the OS is good or not..

Offline jkirk

• Show only replies by jkirk
« Reply #171 on: April 01, 2010, 08:02:29 PM »
Quote from: koshman;542420
@ fishy fiz: just what I was going to write. W7 is basically slimmed down Vista and everyone's raving about it like it was W3.1 -> W95 move... Wake up, Vista is not evil incarnate and W7 is not the greatest thing since sliced bread...

i have to disagree with your assertion. win7 is what vista should have been from the get go. more memory efficient, better games compatability, faster boot up, etc, etc. plus a few new tricks to boot in the ui.

i will admit vista got better after sp1 but the milk had been soured at that point. as a result win7 had to be created to shed those feelings.

win 7 even tho it shares the same minimum system requirements with vista can actually work fine on slower machimes (iirc it was tested as low as 700mhz maybe slower machines too) so it is very much more optimized than vista ever thought of being.
The only stupid question is a question not asked.  

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can\'t stand one bit of competition.

Offline Trev

• Zero
« Reply #172 on: April 01, 2010, 08:49:47 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;550654
Sounds SUSe to me..!

I jumped off the Novell wagon shortly before Linux went mainstream. At the time, I still preferred NetWare to everything else out there (and still do, in some respects), but it was impossible to convice the people with the money not to give into Microsoft's promises. Microsoft did eventually deliver, but it took years for them to catch up in terms of file server performance and directory services capabilities. Windows 2008 R2 may have finally brought Active Directory up to par with Novell Directory Services.

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
« Reply #173 on: April 01, 2010, 11:01:20 PM »
Mac sux its a outdated pc (x86) with software that provides poor application support + grayish eye-candy look . Windows doesn't rule either but it has far better application support and can be used with the best hardware available
A1200 ACA 1230

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #174 on: April 02, 2010, 12:26:43 AM »
@adonay
April fools!  You had me thinking you were serious....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #175 on: April 02, 2010, 12:33:18 AM »
Actually, Mac is pretty sucky - at least from a hardware upgrade perspective. For example, what are the highest supported AMD / nVidia graphics hardware? Even linux has vendor provided drivers for most of their the most recent cards.
int p; // A

Offline Trev

• Zero
« Reply #176 on: April 02, 2010, 01:09:04 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;550738
Actually, Mac is pretty sucky - at least from a hardware upgrade perspective. For example, what are the highest supported AMD / nVidia graphics hardware? Even linux has vendor provided drivers for most of their the most recent cards.

Bad from a tinker standpoint, good from a run-of-the-mill user standpoint. I pitty Microsoft's position of having to support (sometimes at their own expense) every cheap piece of garbage that comes out of a Chinese factory lest they suffer the wrath of the user community.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #177 on: April 02, 2010, 02:41:58 PM »
Quote from: Trev;550744
Bad from a tinker standpoint, good from a run-of-the-mill user standpoint. I pitty Microsoft's position of having to support (sometimes at their own expense) every cheap piece of garbage that comes out of a Chinese factory lest they suffer the wrath of the user community.

Call me cynical, but look at this: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/product_geforce_gtx_285_for_mac_uk.html

In other words, pay over the top for a PCIe 2.0 card that's doubtless identical to any of the other GTX285 cards (all of which are made by nVidia and resold by their "premier partner" companies), then only get the performance benefit of said card when booting your mac into windows.
int p; // A