Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What is your everyday OS/Platform ?  (Read 12394 times)

Description:

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
Re: What is your everyday OS/Platform ?
« on: May 29, 2011, 08:03:19 PM »
OSX or WinXP when I'm on the macbook, Arch on the Desktop, 3.9 and (soon to be) System 7 on the A4000.  That's just a typical day and not one where I'm having fun trying out AROS or Haiku.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 09:42:32 PM »
My recommendations for linux (in order):

Arch, Mint, Debian, Ubuntu.

Killer apps? Terminal :D, and latest mplayer, libreoffice, wodim, genisoimage, DWM, vim, gedit...oh and a dedicated OS user group for Haskell.

I know there are the same on windows, but its so much easier for me on the linux side.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 09:45:26 PM by TheBilgeRat »

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 09:50:39 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;641216
MophOS and MicroXP .88 for my general day to day use. Workbench 3.1/Classic Amiga primarily for Musick, then Ubuntu and the Ipod OS for the road. I was a hard core BeOS user, but now I'm just waiting for Haiku to mature a little bit then I'll be using it a lot again too.

I never gave BeOS a chance, but I am very interested in Haiku :D especially if it gets a modern java machine and an eclipse port :lol:

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 03:42:42 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;641335
While some of us are talking about Linux is there really much of a difference between all the distros? I have only ever used Ubuntu so i wouldn't know :)

Yes...and no.

when I first started using linux back in the dark ages, one of the great things about it was stability and the ability to custom tailor the kernel to EXACTLY what hardware was in your comp and turn on all sorts of compile time flags to squeeze out every last ounce of performance (we all compiled our kernels by hand in those days).  I actually often used X for my GUI.  NOwadays we hardly worry about how much memory we use or how much unnecessary cruft is included with the kernel we don't need - we just want the spinny cube and the wobbly windows and to be part of the cool kids.

Now, having said all that "git offah mah lawn" stuff, Karlos is right - the distro basically handles all the crap that sits above the kernel and delivers it to you.  Some do it on release cycles (ubuntu, most others), some do it rolling release (Arch, Gentoo as well I believe), some use special packages (apt and rpm), some use binaries (arch, slackware), some compile every damn piece of software (Gentoo).  Some force you to have an Out of Box Experience with all the bells and whistles, some make you build your system by hand from a command prompt.

As I run an "old" P4 as my daily coding machine, I like it to be as lightweight as possible while still be "modern".  I run Arch and vascillate between DWM and XFCE for my windowing manager.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 10:22:54 PM »
Quote from: kedawa;641445
You could always just get a smartphone and not get a data plan.  That way, you can load it up with apps and games, but not have internet access when you're out and about.

AT&T does not allow this.  If you have an Iphone, you get a data plan.  period.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 06:11:25 AM »
Quote from: kedawa;641487
There are other carriers and smartphones.
Does AT&T use SIM cards?

Verizon is the same - they also force data if you have a smartphone.  I am sure there are ways with jailbreaking and other illicitness, but if you aren't into all that, you pay for the data plan.  Wireless carriers in the US blow chunks.