Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What is your everyday OS/Platform ?  (Read 12293 times)

Description:

Offline don27dog

Re: What is your everyday OS/Platform ?
« Reply #59 from previous page: May 30, 2011, 03:16:40 PM »
I voted Win 7, but also use ubuntu often and the last few weeks been using OSX 10.6.3 on an old Hp core 2 duo I had laying around.
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 150Mhz, 68060 50 Mhz, 128Meg Ram, IndivisionAGA, Deneb USB Controller, Zorram 256, Os3.9/Os4.0 Classic
Amiga 3000T Warp Engine 4040, Elbox FastATA Controller, Progressive Perpherals ProRam3000 64Meg, Mediator, VoodooIII, Os3.9

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2011, 03:42:42 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;641335
While some of us are talking about Linux is there really much of a difference between all the distros? I have only ever used Ubuntu so i wouldn't know :)

Yes...and no.

when I first started using linux back in the dark ages, one of the great things about it was stability and the ability to custom tailor the kernel to EXACTLY what hardware was in your comp and turn on all sorts of compile time flags to squeeze out every last ounce of performance (we all compiled our kernels by hand in those days).  I actually often used X for my GUI.  NOwadays we hardly worry about how much memory we use or how much unnecessary cruft is included with the kernel we don't need - we just want the spinny cube and the wobbly windows and to be part of the cool kids.

Now, having said all that "git offah mah lawn" stuff, Karlos is right - the distro basically handles all the crap that sits above the kernel and delivers it to you.  Some do it on release cycles (ubuntu, most others), some do it rolling release (Arch, Gentoo as well I believe), some use special packages (apt and rpm), some use binaries (arch, slackware), some compile every damn piece of software (Gentoo).  Some force you to have an Out of Box Experience with all the bells and whistles, some make you build your system by hand from a command prompt.

As I run an "old" P4 as my daily coding machine, I like it to be as lightweight as possible while still be "modern".  I run Arch and vascillate between DWM and XFCE for my windowing manager.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2011, 04:27:33 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;641371
My wife makes fun of me because as big a nerd as I am, I refuse to have a smart phone. Phones are for voice calls dammit. Your email message is really not that important to me while I'm out. And no, I won't return your fucking text messages either.

I voted linux. I use windows also, but only for video editing, and I'm trying to learn a few linux video editors so I can never touch a windows machine again...

Steven

Yay! Let's hear it for Steven!

I refuse to have a smart phone.

I find them oh so seductive myself, but worry that with e-mail and internet access while away from home I'll be paying even less attention to the world around me.

So I may be one of only a few people here who's first experience with ARM is likely to be at home.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2011, 04:59:51 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;641333
I hear you. Setup 11.04 about a week ago and was shocked.

Kubuntu 11.4 is pretty slick :)

Generally though, upgrading right away as a new release comes out is usually going to have some hassle.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2011, 06:36:44 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;641403
So I may be one of only a few people here who's first experience with ARM is likely to be at home.
My first experience with ARM was the Gameboy Advance ;) Though I do have an Efika MX I got from a co-worker...need to fiddle around with that sometime...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2011, 06:44:23 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;641417
... Though I do have an Efika MX I got from a co-worker...need to fiddle around with that sometime...

Fascinating, did you buy it or acquire it some other way?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2011, 07:10:31 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;641418
Fascinating, did you buy it or acquire it some other way?
Got it from my co-worker. He got it as a development unit to work on porting something to it, but he had some kind of falling-out and wasn't very interested in it anymore. Sounds like the only difference is that it has a 2GB internal SDHC instead of 4GB, but it works just fine.

I've been toying with the idea of developing something for it...I've been wanting to play around with Amiga-inspired microkernel OS development for a while, but of course I need to understand a good bit more about the i.MX515 SoC to even have a chance of getting anywhere...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 07:13:37 PM by commodorejohn »
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Mark_1200

• Show only replies by Mark_1200
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2011, 07:16:19 PM »
I have to use Win 7 at work as its what I write programs for, But I use it at home too, as well as Linux and Workbench 3.9... Will probably get AROS going at some point too.
A1200, PPC@240MHz+040@25MHz, Bvision, OS3.9, Solid State HD, CDRom, Power Tower, 2MB Chip, 64MBFast, 8MB GFX.

Offline a1200

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2011, 07:23:15 PM »
I use Win 7 on the desktop (voted) but Win server 2k8 and Linux for servers. Amiga for fun!
Amiga A1200, 3.1 ROMs, Blizzard 1230 MKIV 128MB & FPU, 4GB DoM SSD, Workbench 3.1

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2011, 10:18:54 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;641403
Yay! Let's hear it for Steven!

I refuse to have a smart phone.

I find them oh so seductive myself, but worry that with e-mail and internet access while away from home I'll be paying even less attention to the world around me.

You could always just get a smartphone and not get a data plan.  That way, you can load it up with apps and games, but not have internet access when you're out and about.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2011, 10:22:54 PM »
Quote from: kedawa;641445
You could always just get a smartphone and not get a data plan.  That way, you can load it up with apps and games, but not have internet access when you're out and about.

AT&T does not allow this.  If you have an Iphone, you get a data plan.  period.

Offline HenryCase

• Show only replies by HenryCase
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2011, 01:57:46 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;641420
Got it from my co-worker. He got it as a development unit to work on porting something to it, but he had some kind of falling-out and wasn't very interested in it anymore. Sounds like the only difference is that it has a 2GB internal SDHC instead of 4GB, but it works just fine.

I've been toying with the idea of developing something for it...I've been wanting to play around with Amiga-inspired microkernel OS development for a while, but of course I need to understand a good bit more about the i.MX515 SoC to even have a chance of getting anywhere...

A good starting point for your investigations:
http://aros.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/nightly-download?20110530/Binaries/AROS-20110530-linux-arm-system.tar.bz2
Should work on the Efika MX, in fact here's a screenshot to prove it:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54643129@N00/5191566091/
"OS5 is so fast that only Chuck Norris can use it." AeroMan

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2011, 02:08:00 AM »
Ah, yeah. I was wondering if AROS would run, but I couldn't find much conclusive. I'll have to give that a shot. It looks like the archive is a binary distribution? What exactly do I have to do to get it to boot?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 02:18:18 AM by commodorejohn »

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2011, 04:35:41 AM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;641447
AT&T does not allow this.  If you have an Iphone, you get a data plan.  period.

There are other carriers and smartphones.
Does AT&T use SIM cards?

Offline Leffmann

• Show only replies by Leffmann
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2011, 04:36:16 AM »
I have OS X, Ubuntu and Windows 7.

Ubuntu 11.04 with Unity is interesting, but I still don't know what I would need it for. Windows 7 is flaky and a disappointment, and I only use it to play some old games. I spend almost all computer-time in OS X.

Offline krashan

• Hardware designer and programmer
    • Show only replies by krashan
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2011, 05:21:13 AM »
Quote from: Franko;641214
Wow... its odd how in the other poll AROS was the favourite and yet in this one no-one uses it (I thought there were versions of AROS in use just now for different platforms) !!!

That's because AROS is the future. Since 1995. :lol:
It will stay the future in the future as well.