Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: (Hoax) Folding A-EON Technology  (Read 5828 times)

Description:

Offline TrevorDickTopic starter

• Amiga Enthusiast
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by TrevorDick
(Hoax) Folding A-EON Technology
« on: January 10, 2012, 11:08:48 PM »
It has been confirmed by reliable sources that this thread is a hoax put up by someone who hacked the owner's account.  We are looking into how the account was hacked and what we can do to keep this from happening again.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 12:17:32 AM by J-Golden »
Supporting all Amiga flavours

Offline Matt_H

Re: Folding A-EON Technology
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 11:10:49 PM »
Damn, this is a tough blow. Sorry to hear that.

Offline RMK305

• Show only replies by RMK305
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 11:13:15 PM »
Sorry to hear that Trevor. Although the system was out of my price range it was nice to see someone attempt to bring something new to the scene. Can you share with us how many boards have been produced and are "out there"?

Best of luck for the future,

Robert
Amiga 4000, Warp Engine 040/40MHz, CV643D with scan doubler module, Tocatta soundcard, Deneb, 72Meg fast ram, 18 gig scsi hard drive.

3xA500, 1xA1200, 1xCD32

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 11:17:53 PM »
Quote from: TrevorDick;675228
With great pain I must inform you that I've decided to fold A-EON Technology.

The financial and personal burden has grown too heavy for me to handle, and with the A-EON partners backing off I'm left with no choice but to fold the company.

The current run of AmigaOne X1000 boards will be the only one made. The beta testers can keep their boards if they so choose, and the remaining boards will be set up for auction at a later date.

I'm sorry for this disappointing and unfortunate turn of events but there really isn't anything I can do.

Thanks for everyone involved in the X1000 project. It was fun while it lasted.

Best regards,

Trevor Dickinson

This is terrible news!

I am very sorry to hear this news from you Trevor and hope that you will find other ways to continue to stay involved in the Amiga community.  It was a bold attempt and I wish that it had succeeded.  Even given the higher than average cost of an X1000 system, there were more people that wanted them than the number of units that are to be manufactured, showing that many Amiga users and enthusiasts are perfectly willing to spend their money to purchase AmigaOne OS4 systems.

I know this is a difficult time to ask any questions, but how will this action affect future drivers for the X1000 systems that are not yet completed?  How will this affect warranties for X1000 systems?

I am sorry to ask these questions at this time.

All the best to you and your family.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 11:21:55 PM »
Can't say I didn't see this one coming. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 11:23:32 PM by koaftder »

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 11:23:51 PM »
Oh I read subject line expecting to see something about XMOS being used for Folding@home.

oops.

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 11:25:44 PM »
Ouch!

How much do you need?
If we can finance a amiga history movie, we can all chip in!

Michael

Offline minator

• Show only replies by minator
    • http://www.blachford.info
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 11:30:14 PM »
That's sad to hear.  I was never in the market for one myself but I'm sure they're great for the people who are.  I always thought the PA6T had good potential.

It did look like there quite a bit of interest, but evidently not enough.

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 11:31:00 PM »

The financial and personal burden has grown too heavy for me to handle, and with the A-EON partners backing off I'm left with no choice but to fold the company.

The current run of AmigaOne X1000 boards will be the only one made. The beta testers can keep their boards if they so choose, and the remaining boards will be set up for auction at a later date.

I'm sorry for this disappointing and unfortunate turn of events but there really isn't anything I can do.

Best regards,

Trevor Dickinson

Sad sad news of not having one more Amiga board, and even of strange design and high price was a big chance to shed some light and accelerate AmigaOS progress ...
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 11:32:48 PM »
Quote from: minator;675235
That's sad to hear.  I was never in the market for one myself but I'm sure they're great for the people who are.

Yeah, I'm sure it's freakin awesome for the people who dropped $3000+ on this doomed system. But hey, it was their money so more power to them in getting Xena, Xorro, and that other core working. Probably the easiest way is to install Linux.

Offline Tension

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 11:35:03 PM »
Sorry to hear that Trevor. Hope it didn't leave you skint. Good luck for the future mate.

Offline VingtTrois

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by VingtTrois
    • http://www.amiga.org/gallery/images/6006/1_2316_My_AMIGA_Collection_Sept2010.jpg
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 11:36:38 PM »
Glups!!! Argh :(
Sad news!!!!!!!!
-A3K(T)040@35MHz/78MB/KS3.1/OS3.9/Buster11/PICASSO II/GVP IO/A2088XT/DENEB/HDD18GB
-A3K(D)030@25MHz/134MB RAM/KS3.1/OS3.9/Buster11/RETINA Z2/OKTAGON 2008/VLAB YC/MIDI/DKB3128/HDD18GB
-A2K/ROM 1.3-3.1/2MBCHIP/8MB/A2091/OKTAGON 2008/A2058/TANDEM IDE/FlickerFixer-Scandoubler/Genlock
-A1200/KS3.1/2MB+9MB/CF2GB A1200[/

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 11:37:13 PM »
This is very distressing, plus the fact that the AmigaKit server appears to be down at the moment, does not help matters.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 11:40:22 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;675237
Yeah, I'm sure it's freakin awesome for the people who dropped $3000+ on this doomed system. But hey, it was their money so more power to them in getting Xena, Xorro, and that other core working. Probably the easiest way is to install Linux.

I expect collectors to pay huge sums of money for these developer systems (in like 15 - 20 years).

I'm still waiting for the market the real value of my official (rebadged Tao ELATE RTOS) Amiga Developer Kit I bought from Bill and Fleecy personally in the 90s.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 11:41:14 PM »

Best regards,

Trevor Dickinson

Well, I must say you were "bold" to say the least (don't know if that's really a word I'd really use in the context) to take on a very high-risk project like this with an outright impossible business case in the first place.

Most entrepreneurs usually starts off by trying to identify some customer needs, and then come up with realistic product specifications that could satisfy those needs at a cost people would be prepared to pay. You on the other hand kind of began from the other end by starting out with technology you thought were cool, never mind realism and cost/price, and then try to find a market need for it.

Well, at least you tried to follow your vision, nobody can take that away from you. Good luck in the future, and hopefully this doesn't scare you off from trying something new down the road. If you do, please consider starting from the "right" end by identifying market needs, and then go from there... ;)

Good luck! :)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)