Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: [SOLVED] A500 & Amiga Explorer  (Read 3062 times)

Description:

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show all replies
Re: A500 & Amiga Explorer
« on: March 07, 2010, 08:20:23 PM »
Quote from: Super TWiT;546583
Or is it more than likely my cable? Also, I have a serial port on my computer but its db9. Is there anyway I can use that?
You can use the db9. You can even use an USB to serial cable. And I have not had any difficulties with some random serial cable I bought. But maybe you were just unlucky to have a broken cable (incompatible cable seems to me be very unlikely, since there is not much magic in null-modem serial cables which are built according to he RS232 standard).
I myself have a female-to-female 25 pins null modem cable with on one side a 25-to-9 pins converter.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 08:26:50 PM by Speelgoedmannetje »
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 08:35:10 PM »
Quote from: Super TWiT;546590
So more than likely its my cable? I thought if it was my cable I would be getting error reading off of com port errors (had those when amiga wasn't on) And whats this buisness about the amiga serial port possibly frying pc serial port if the cable wasn't 7 wire claonto's talking about
Well, if you wire yourself a null modem (which is easy) and you accidently wire it wrong (with for instance having the schematics upside down or something like that) you could fry your port. IIRC the amiga has put MIDI pins on the serial port where the pins are unused according the RS232 standard. I just don't know whether it'd be a virus or not. If the floppy's are original and in read-only mode, and especially when the read/write slide has been removed by the manufacturer, I consider a virus to be impossible.

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 08:46:18 PM »
Correction; the Amiga has audio ports on pin 11 and 18,  and have (-)12 voltage levels on pin 9 and 10. Pins 11 and 18 are apparently not according to the RS232 standard. But I don't think any of these pins will be put on the db9. Many signal lines are not necessary, rxd (receive) and txd (transmit) and ground are the only essential pins (USB for instance has only these signals).

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 08:51:20 PM »
Ergo, I don't really know what's wrong. You can check for the necessary pins to be connected properly (which I'm sure it is), and the non-standard (-12)V pins aren't connected to the ground (that would have your Amiga serial port fried I fear).
You can all check this with a bog standard multimeter.

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 08:54:10 PM »
Quote from: Super TWiT;546595
You've been a really big help, thank you so much. I too don't think it is a virus. I am relatively new to amigas, so you know a lot more than I do. What do you think I should do next?
Well, I just looked it up with the keyword 'pinout'. With that you can find almost all signal pins of any device. Another keyword is datasheet.
So I'm not an Amiga pro, I just have some experience soldering stuff for vintage computers. :)