Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CD Rom Advice please  (Read 1022 times)

Description:

Offline NAVVARRTopic starter

• Show only replies by NAVVARR
CD Rom Advice please
« on: March 08, 2010, 08:20:38 PM »
I've an old A1200 with a 720meg hard drive, a Blizzard 68040 + 128meg sim.

Also I have a CD ROM drive fitted using an IDE splitter.

After many years of use- the Amiga is booting up - but there is now a message saying that the CD ROM hasn't been found.

I've taken the whole lot apart, and put it all together again, and its the same message.

I've come to the conclusion that its the IDE splitter that is at fault.

Thing is- I've got a load of old Amiga CD roms with games I enjoy playing - like genetic species and t-Zero.

So, any ideas how I can fix it- can you still but IDE splitters? -is there another way to fit a CD rom to an A1200?

I've also tried accessing the CD roms of a Pc I have next to the Amiga by using the parallel port- but although I can see files this way- its not really a solution since its pretty slow.

Thanks for any replies or help....

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
Re: CD Rom Advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 09:31:23 PM »
Yes, Amigakit still sells the IDE splitters:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=532

...and there's also a PCMCIA CD-ROM solution, but if the only thing that is wrong is your splitter - that's going to be a cheaper and faster transfer scenario.

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 10:24:17 PM »
Thanks so much for that help- I'd had a look about for a new IDE splitter and couldn't find anywhere selling them.

I've just ordered a new one- and if it all goes well, I may well order a second and get another old amiga set up with a CD Rom.

I've a second amiga 1200 with a Blizzard 030 and a 120 meg hard drive.

Thanks again!

Offline scuzzb494

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 01:25:02 PM »
Quote from: NAVVARR;546725
I've an old A1200 with a 720meg hard drive, a Blizzard 68040 + 128meg sim.

Also I have a CD ROM drive fitted using an IDE splitter.

After many years of use- the Amiga is booting up - but there is now a message saying that the CD ROM hasn't been found.

I've taken the whole lot apart, and put it all together again, and its the same message.

I've come to the conclusion that its the IDE splitter that is at fault.

Thing is- I've got a load of old Amiga CD roms with games I enjoy playing - like genetic species and t-Zero.

So, any ideas how I can fix it- can you still but IDE splitters? -is there another way to fit a CD rom to an A1200?

I've also tried accessing the CD roms of a Pc I have next to the Amiga by using the parallel port- but although I can see files this way- its not really a solution since its pretty slow.

Thanks for any replies or help....

I assume the hard drive is still working. If so may not be the interface. Have you changed the ribbon. And also could be the CDRom drive. If you have the PCMCIA slot free you could track down a Squirrel and run an SCSI drive. Networking wouldn`t really help. No harm trying the Interface, but you may need to prepared for it not resolving the CD issue.

Just out of interest how does the CD ribbon exit the 1200, what interface was it, what type of hard drive, is it a 3.5 " and how is power fed. Also what power do you have the A1200. Some issues can be related to the Amiga power source... But I doubt it.

scuzz

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 01:40:32 PM »
Yes, the hard drive is working fine- its a 720 meg 2.5 inch one. Powered by the internal IDE cable that connects it to the amiga.

I just exit the cable through a gap in the casing to the left of the ESC button, just above the PCMCIA slot.

I've tried new cables- also tried other A1200's too.

The A1200 is powered with the standard power supply and the CD-Rom is powered by a 12V DC adapter.

I've got two CD Roms lying about- tried them both- same problem.

If its not the IDE splitter them I'l use the second on on another A1200- its always good to have spares anyway.

Offline scuzzb494

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 06:31:26 PM »
Quote from: NAVVARR;546831
Yes, the hard drive is working fine- its a 720 meg 2.5 inch one. Powered by the internal IDE cable that connects it to the amiga.

I just exit the cable through a gap in the casing to the left of the ESC button, just above the PCMCIA slot.

I've tried new cables- also tried other A1200's too.

The A1200 is powered with the standard power supply and the CD-Rom is powered by a 12V DC adapter.

I've got two CD Roms lying about- tried them both- same problem.

If its not the IDE splitter them I'l use the second on on another A1200- its always good to have spares anyway.

Do you mean IDE splitter or buffered interface like the one in this picture..

http://www.commodore-amiga-retro.com/amiga/a1200tower/a_scuzz_sept27_31.jpg

scuzz

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 10:00:56 PM »
Hmm, looks like I meant the buffered interface!

-I've ordered an IDE splitter- will that be of any use to me to get my CD-Rom up and running?

Its been a long time since I've had to delve into my A1200- its all been working quite well up til now.

erm, what is the difference? -sorry if I apear ignorant- but they seem to be the same item
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 10:04:46 PM by NAVVARR »

Offline scuzzb494

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 10:51:29 PM »
Quote from: NAVVARR;546900
Hmm, looks like I meant the buffered interface!

-I've ordered an IDE splitter- will that be of any use to me to get my CD-Rom up and running?

Its been a long time since I've had to delve into my A1200- its all been working quite well up til now.

erm, what is the difference? -sorry if I apear ignorant- but they seem to be the same item

The image displayed in an earlier post was a buffered interface which uses IDEFix to assign channels off the interface to differing IDE devices. The IDEFix software auto seeks the devices for you so you can set up two lots of two devices... A splitter simply splits the ribbon so that you can attach two connectors to one pin socket. Never done that with an Amiga as I have always used the buffered interface.

An IDE splitter with a standard ribbon will suit only the pin socket of a standard computer which will be the 40 way large. You appreciate that the Amiga uses a smaller pin connector or 44 way, and no doubt your 2.5" hard drive also has the smaller 44 way connector. The interface connects your small 44 way to the Amiga motherboard with a small ribbon and then another 44 way to the 2.5" HD and a large 40 way ribbon to the CD Rom... Assuming the CDRom has a standard CD 40 way connector. The splitter you have ordered may just be a spider of 40 way large connectors.. Don't know.

The buffered interface was about £13 GB so not that expensive.

If your current arrangement is just ribbons I doubt that that is your problem. If its the interface and the hd is still working I also doubt that is the problem. Difficult without seeing if anything has changed on your machine. Also power can be a problem.. I know it sounds strange. Have you tried taking out the Blizzard and seeing if the CDROM works. If so reseat the Blizzard and make sure nothing is touching the shielding of the computer. Also is the light coming on to the CDRom showing that it is powered up.

No help sorry.

scuzz

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 10:15:28 PM »
Thanks for your suggestion- I'll take the accelerator card out and see it that helps- i'll also try another power supply and see if that makes a difference too.

The buffered interface should turn up shortly as well- once I get a spare few hours I'll get it all together and hopefully get it all working as it should.