Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Someone spell it out for me, A1 questions  (Read 7361 times)

Description:

Offline rayt

• Show all replies
Re: Someone spell it out for me, A1 questions
« on: August 14, 2004, 11:47:06 PM »
Be sure to also check out the Pegasos II system. We are much more compatable and faster then the A1 is. The Pegasos DOES NOT run OS4 but it runs MorphOS.

Yeah but the topic is "A1 questions".

Offline rayt

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2004, 11:41:19 AM »
I'm mostly interested in the "NG" system that the largest community of classic Amiga users/developers are moving to.

I think most people will either stay with their classic amigas and/or will run winuae on a x86 box. The only way the A1 is related to classic amiga is the NAME.
If you dont care about the NAME, the best solution is to get yourself a fast x86 board (if you dont have one already) and run winuae. It is compatible with just about any piece of amiga software (not like Morphos/Os4)and its cheaper than any ppc board. Its sad but thats how it is nowadays.

Offline rayt

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 12:44:22 AM »
I guess it being based on AmigaOS sources mean nothing to you!

I was just talking about the A1 board, not about os4.

Offline rayt

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 01:28:52 PM »
[/quote]Can't speak for WarCraft III, but Diablo II ran just fine on my Pegasos under MacOnLinux.

Warcraft III won't work under MOL as it uses hardware 3D acceleration which is not supported by MOL.

Offline rayt

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 01:45:18 PM »

Saying:
a) The only way A1 is related to Amiga is the *NAME*, and as such
b) the best way to go is WinUAE.
you're not giving decent information about the subject as there's more to A1 then *NAME*.

I don't want to get further into what Amiga is or isn't, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion about it, but get things straight when vocalizing that the only thing they share in common is the *NAME*.

I dont really understand what you mean. Os4 is based on the original AmigaOs sources thats true. But the A1 is in no way based on the original Amiga Hardware, just like the pegasos, or apple mainboards, or x86 mainboards. Its floppy controller cant even read amiga disks. The only connection to classic amigas is that it runs AmigaOS and that its called "amiga".
I am seeing things realisticly and Im not saying that the A1 is the wrong way to go and there should be a new custom amiga (which woul be very cool but sadly is impossible to do), but after all the Amiga One is just a standard atx ppc mainboard (which is nothing bad though).