Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Someone spell it out for me, A1 questions  (Read 7303 times)

Description:

Offline rayt

• Show only replies by rayt
Re: Someone spell it out for me, A1 questions
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 16, 2004, 01:28:52 PM »
[/quote]Can't speak for WarCraft III, but Diablo II ran just fine on my Pegasos under MacOnLinux.

Warcraft III won't work under MOL as it uses hardware 3D acceleration which is not supported by MOL.

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2004, 01:29:16 PM »
Capisce!?

So, practically speaking, if I purchase a SUN, and copy the content of my Workbench disks to the hard drive, then that Sun hardware will be more Amiga hardware than without those?

Arguing that software can make a hardware more Amiga may prove to be a two edged sword: have you experienced the MorphOS feeling? :-) Current hardware has little to nothing in common with the Classic hardware. Both (or all three) available alternate Operating Systems are based upon (the same) AmigaOS API.

Offline rayt

• Show only replies by rayt
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2004, 01:45:18 PM »

Saying:
a) The only way A1 is related to Amiga is the *NAME*, and as such
b) the best way to go is WinUAE.
you're not giving decent information about the subject as there's more to A1 then *NAME*.

I don't want to get further into what Amiga is or isn't, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion about it, but get things straight when vocalizing that the only thing they share in common is the *NAME*.

I dont really understand what you mean. Os4 is based on the original AmigaOs sources thats true. But the A1 is in no way based on the original Amiga Hardware, just like the pegasos, or apple mainboards, or x86 mainboards. Its floppy controller cant even read amiga disks. The only connection to classic amigas is that it runs AmigaOS and that its called "amiga".
I am seeing things realisticly and Im not saying that the A1 is the wrong way to go and there should be a new custom amiga (which woul be very cool but sadly is impossible to do), but after all the Amiga One is just a standard atx ppc mainboard (which is nothing bad though).

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2004, 02:40:46 PM »
Okay, save for the two posts about Warcraft III and Diablo II working or not working, people are still arguing "What is Amiga". We've been down this road before, many times, and nothing is going to get settled.
Suffice it to say, the Amiga is going through a similar transistion to what the Mac did. From 68K to PPC, but in our own unique way. The Mac's transition wasn't easy, some Mac users didn't like it, there were problems, but in the end they got something better. We at least get to hold on to our OS and not get it changed out for a BSD variant. The on board subsystems that made the Amiga unique in computing now come on PCI cards. A custom system like the originals is just not economically possible and the PCI cards give a faster or user paced upgrade path than the originals could offer. Separating the OS from its custom chips was and is the only way to save and move the OS forward on to new hardware that will have plug-in replacements for those custom subsystems. We were already going that way with all exspansions that replaced most of the classic motherboard. Put in a PPC accelerator, a PCI bridge card, Adreniline sound card, a Picasso IV, Spider USB, etc... and what are you really using of the original classic motherboard.

I'm  locking this topic. Feel free to open other discussions, the original questions have been answered as best they can be.