Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Layers.library V45 on the aminet  (Read 64626 times)

Description:

Offline biggun

• Show only replies by biggun
    • http://www.greyhound-data.com/gunnar/
Re: Layers.library V45 on the aminet
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2014, 07:33:59 PM »
Hi Thomas,

great work. Nice to see this update. Thanks!

What you say that Intuition could be enabled to support dragging windows out of the screen sound cool.
I like this feature.
How complicated would this be in your opinion?

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2014, 08:52:21 PM »
Yes. I think it could be a major enchancement for many to have it at hand without messing with patches. Just fyi its a feature in aros that works on amigas too. You might consult aros v1 sources.

guest11527

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2014, 09:09:02 PM »
Quote from: biggun;769326
Hi Thomas,

great work. Nice to see this update. Thanks!

What you say that Intuition could be enabled to support dragging windows out of the screen sound cool.
I like this feature.
How complicated would this be in your opinion?

Just algorithmically, it's rather trivial because it is clear what has to be done, and where it has to be done. There are two "hard" parts. Problem one is a legal problem, namely getting the permission to work on intuition. Problem two is to actually *compile* intuition.  

It currently depends on some old obscure C compiler, I believe the greenhills compiler, which nobody has anymore. Thus, it's a matter of re-organizing the code to make it compile with a more standard compiler. I haven't tried that, I just remember that Olsen was cursing about it, and I didn't dare to look where the problem was, in particular. Probably reaching the elements of IntuitionBase from inside the code, I do not know.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2014, 09:21:09 PM »
What i see as a problem here is that a user needs to look up the whole internet himself to collect and apply those bits and pieces. There is some sort of central repository, bb4 maintained by gulliver i think, but best would be an updated os in a single download. Aros vision by olaf is a good start even if a little messy. Alas aros is still not as fast, complete and stable as the genuine os.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2014, 10:02:07 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;769334
Just algorithmically, it's rather trivial because it is clear what has to be done, and where it has to be done. There are two "hard" parts. Problem one is a legal problem, namely getting the permission to work on intuition. Problem two is to actually *compile* intuition.  

It currently depends on some old obscure C compiler, I believe the greenhills compiler, which nobody has anymore. Thus, it's a matter of re-organizing the code to make it compile with a more standard compiler. I haven't tried that, I just remember that Olsen was cursing about it, and I didn't dare to look where the problem was, in particular. Probably reaching the elements of IntuitionBase from inside the code, I do not know.

The solution if one cared could be to port aros intuition to aos. It compiles with current gcc aros 68k backend 4.6.x or 4.7 now. There is a version 4.5.0 for aos by bernd rosch. He even tried to compile aros intuition for afa-os but has not succeeded. It was before aros68 kickstart replacement has been started though. It might be easier now.

guest11527

« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2014, 10:19:55 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;769339
The solution if one cared could be to port aros intuition to aos. It compiles with current gcc aros 68k backend 4.6.x or 4.7 now. There is a version 4.5.0 for aos by bernd rosch. He even tried to compile aros intuition for afa-os but has not succeeded. It was before aros68 kickstart replacement has been started though. It might be easier now.

That could be a viable solution provided the new code is generated in a "clean room" approach, i.e. the author has no access to the original sources. That counts me out, I afraid. The whole situation is unsatisfactory, agreed.

Offline matthey

• Show only replies by matthey
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2014, 10:21:05 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;769339

I believe AROS took a much different approach to implementing layers though. I suppose there is the gfx.library abstraction in between so maybe Intuition wouldn't be too difficult to use. I would love to get development of AmigaOS classic going again but the legal problems remain as ThoR pointed out. There is a thread over on Amigaworld.net talking about buying the Amiga name, AmigaOS and the Amiga.com web site but it's a legal mess.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=39217&forum=2

I might make an offer to buy everything myself but I don't know who owns what and I don't really want to give any money to the crooks at Amiga Inc. or a bunch of lawyers. Like I said over there, the legal fees (to insure ownership and property rights) could easily cost more than the purchase price (assuming the low kickstarter target price of only $125,000 U.S. would be enough to buy everything AND fund a new hardware project).

Offline carvedeye

• Show only replies by carvedeye
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2014, 11:02:59 PM »
Am i right in thinking that all you need to do to install it is to replace it with the old one and restart system? No editing the s-s?
A1200T: M1230XA 50Mhz 68030 w/64mb,DVDRom, 80gb hdd, Realtek LAN Card, Mediator LT4 + Radeon 9250 128mb(used for fast ram), Spider USB Card, Voodoo 3 3000 OS 3.9 +bb 1-3

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2014, 11:19:01 PM »
Quote from: matthey;769342
I believe AROS took a much different approach to implementing layers though. I suppose there is the gfx.library abstraction in between so maybe Intuition wouldn't be too difficult to use. I would love to get development of AmigaOS classic going again but the legal problems remain as ThoR pointed out. There is a thread over on Amigaworld.net talking about buying the Amiga name, AmigaOS and the Amiga.com web site but it's a legal mess.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=39217&forum=2

I might make an offer to buy everything myself but I don't know who owns what and I don't really want to give any money to the crooks at Amiga Inc. or a bunch of lawyers. Like I said over there, the legal fees (to insure ownership and property rights) could easily cost more than the purchase price (assuming the low kickstarter target price of only $125,000 U.S. would be enough to buy everything AND fund a new hardware project).

PLease not again. Let be done with buying the name, the source whatsoever. Was discused to the death. As for intuition im not sure about dependencies on aos and aros but i guess its graphics lib on both. The hidds are lower below. Some aros dev reading here might comment on that.
@thor
Yes. Alas it seems it counts you out. Hard to tell if there is anybody up to task. I cant think of none.

Offline pawelek

• Show only replies by pawelek
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2014, 11:17:36 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;768573
I probably do not have time right now to look into this (I'm right now in Sapporo, Japan). Maybe I have short chance of checking this next weekend, but I will unlikely be able to provide any type of fix before August (*sigh*).   In worst case, it will be a patch to P96 to be V45 aware.  Greetings, Thomas

The problem with the new layers.library
http://amiga.ct8.pl/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/MOV_0017.mp4

guest11527

« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2014, 11:37:09 PM »
Quote from: pawelek;771342
The problem with the new layers.library
http://amiga.ct8.pl/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/MOV_0017.mp4

That's P96, isn't it? Yes, I afraid that's a P96 bug. I'm not quite sure what the latest version of P96 is. What do you have? It shouldn't be a (major) problem to recompile this with the fix included once I have a chance to look into it.   Otherwise, if that's not the known P96 problem with video overlays, please make a detailed bug report how to reproduce (video is currently not working so well - from Sapporo to San Diego... ;-)

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2014, 11:52:53 PM »
Thanks!  Working great in preliminary testing on my highly patched A2000 system.  As previous commenter noted, Birdie crashes with this installed as soon as you open any window.  Out of idle curiosity, what's the general consensus on this?  I happen to rather like Birdie.  Is there any work-around or similar program that I can use that will allow me to have OS4-like window borders on my system?

Thanks again!  :drink::drink:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline pawelek

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2014, 09:43:08 AM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;771346
That's P96, isn't it? Yes, I afraid that's a P96 bug.

Yes, Picasso96, A1200 Mediator + Radeon 9250.
Recent library:
Picasso96API.library 2310
emulation.library 40395
rtg.library 40.3994

guest11527

« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2014, 08:46:01 PM »
Quote from: pawelek;771378
Yes, Picasso96, A1200 Mediator + Radeon 9250.
Recent library:
Picasso96API.library 2310
emulation.library 40395
rtg.library 40.3994

Got it. I'm currently trying to get in touch with Alex whether I can make a re-release of P96 with a fix. Not that the fix is overly complicated, but I cannot really promise anything at this time since it's not my decision - so please stand by, sorry.

Offline pawelek

« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2014, 10:02:18 PM »
Demonstration new layers.library (45.19)

new version presented from time 7:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzZEscDf9EU

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #59 from previous page: August 26, 2014, 10:07:37 PM »
What is this?

TomasRitcher= good (have the aeon ok), cosmos (or others)= bad (they are crackers using illegal hackery)?
a1200 060