Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON: Enhancer Software 1.2 Released  (Read 3858 times)

Description:

Offline eliyahuTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
Re: A-EON: Enhancer Software 1.2 Released
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 23, 2017, 06:47:44 PM »
@duga

yes. send an email to A-EON and report your issue. do you have a serial terminal by any chance?

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline duga

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2017, 07:53:25 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;820541
@duga

yes. send an email to A-EON and report your issue. do you have a serial terminal by any chance?

-- eliyahu

So A-EON rather than Hans, good to know. Serial terminal; should be possible. Which debug level should I set as a start?

Offline eliyahuTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2017, 08:13:48 PM »
@duga

make sure you use the debug kernel in your kicklayout file, and set the debuglevel to 3 for a start. if nothing else it will give hans and A-EON the data they need about your video card.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline duga

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2017, 09:19:59 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;820560
@duga

make sure you use the debug kernel in your kicklayout file, and set the debuglevel to 3 for a start. if nothing else it will give hans and A-EON the data they need about your video card.

-- eliyahu

Thanks. Seems the card is correctly discovered as OLAND, but not fully:

RadeonHD.card (0): RadeonHD.chip 1.20 (25.10.2016)
RadeonHD (2): Graphics card name is: Radeon HD OLAND
RadeonHD (2): Identified the chipset as: OLAND

RadeonHD.chip (0): Cannot load MC microcode for this chipset
RadeonHD.chip (0): Cannot set up default voltages and clocks because the MC microcode hasn't been loaded

I have registered at Amigadeveloper.com, waiting for account verfication.

Offline Hans_

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2017, 09:33:11 PM »
@duga
So A-EON rather than Hans, good to know. Serial terminal; should be possible. Which debug level should I set as a start?

The debug level is for the kernel not the RadeonHD driver. If you're convinced that there's a RadeonHD driver bug (or any Enhancer CD software), then please submit a bug report via A-EON's bug tracker.

That said, I'm not convinced that it's the graphics driver...
http://www.sapphiretech.com/productd...7B15F&lang=eng R7 240 4G D3. Lock up in Workbench at first disk activity, for example starting app from Amidock or clicking on drive icon. As long as there´s no disc activity (after loading Workbench and WBstartup programs) there´s no lockup.

If it's related to disk activity, then it could be a problem elsewhere. You're lucky your Sam440ep-Flex even boots with the Oland card because I've heard that the old Sams just don't like Southern Islands cards (a Uboot issue most likely).

Things to check:
- Which PCI-to-PCIe bridge card are you using (they're not all created equal)? Ask other Sam440ep owners what they used
- Which PCI port do you have it plugged into? The 66 MHz one? Or one of the other ones?

The difference between HDMI and VGA is that with VGA a Intution screen says "Cannot create screen mode for Radeon HD Oland" and I get a screen in probably 320x200 instead of 1920x1080.

That sounds like the DDC channel isn't working over VGA, so it can't find out what modes the monitor supports. Setting the modes manually in ScreenMode prefs will solve this, but you're better off using DVI.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline Hans_

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2017, 09:51:58 PM »
Quote from: duga;820566
Thanks. Seems the card is correctly discovered as OLAND, but not fully:

RadeonHD.card (0): RadeonHD.chip 1.20 (25.10.2016)
RadeonHD (2): Graphics card name is: Radeon HD OLAND
RadeonHD (2): Identified the chipset as: OLAND

RadeonHD.chip (0): Cannot load MC microcode for this chipset
RadeonHD.chip (0): Cannot set up default voltages and clocks because the MC microcode hasn't been loaded

I have registered at Amigadeveloper.com, waiting for account verfication.

My Radeon R7 240 does the same thing and works fine (in an A1-X1000).

IIRC, MC microcode isn't needed for cards with DDR3. With GDDR5 cards, the card gets started at low speed (~150 MHz) and needs the MC microcode before they can run at their rated speed. Oland cards are already set to run at their rated speed from the get-go, so the MC microcode doesn't matter.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline duga

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2017, 09:56:27 PM »
Quote from: Hans_;820570
@duga

The debug level is for the kernel not the RadeonHD driver. If you're convinced that there's a RadeonHD driver bug (or any Enhancer CD software), then please submit a bug report via A-EON's bug tracker.

That said, I'm not convinced that it's the graphics driver...

If it's related to disk activity, then it could be a problem elsewhere. You're lucky your Sam440ep-Flex even boots with the Oland card because I've heard that the old Sams just don't like Southern Islands cards (a Uboot issue most likely).

Things to check:
- Which PCI-to-PCIe bridge card are you using (they're not all created equal)? Ask other Sam440ep owners what they used
- Which PCI port do you have it plugged into? The 66 MHz one? Or one of the other ones?

That sounds like the DDC channel isn't working over VGA, so it can't find out what modes the monitor supports. Setting the modes manually in ScreenMode prefs will solve this, but you're better off using DVI.

Hans

I'm very sorry misleading you into thinking the card is fitted in a Sam440.
I've since my earlier messages in this thread upgraded to a Sam460! And today's message is now updated to mention this is happening with a Sam460 and nothing else.

Offline duga

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2017, 09:59:09 PM »
Quote from: Hans_;820571
My Radeon R7 240 does the same thing and works fine (in an A1-X1000).

IIRC, MC microcode isn't needed for cards with DDR3. With GDDR5 cards, the card gets started at low speed (~150 MHz) and needs the MC microcode before they can run at their rated speed. Oland cards are already set to run at their rated speed from the get-go, so the MC microcode doesn't matter.

Hans

Does your card too have 4 GB 128-bit memory? Have you seen the link to my card's specifications?

If my Radeon HD R7 card "should" work it might have something to do with DMA and disk activity.

You write: "Oland cards are already set to run at their rated speed from the get-go, so the MC microcode doesn't matter.". But this card has 730 MHz Engine Clock and 780 MHz Boost Engine Clock. Or are you only talking about the memory speed? That is "1600 MHz, 1800 MHz effective". But maybe that's only marketing talk?

Edit: Managed to catch a crash for the first time: RadeonHD.chip (0): wait for 8 fifo entries failed (0 available).

Usually I don't get anything on the serial port when freeze occurs (debug level 3).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 10:31:45 PM by duga »

Offline Hans_

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2017, 11:11:37 PM »
Quote from: duga;820573
Does your card too have 4 GB 128-bit memory? Have you seen the link to my card's specifications?

No, it has 2 GB. However, that difference shouldn't matter.

If my Radeon HD R7 card "should" work it might have something to do with DMA and disk activity.

Are you using the onboard Sata-II? If so, have you set it up correctly in UBoot? Also, what graphics card were you using on this machine before switching to the R7 240?

You write: "Oland cards are already set to run at their rated speed from the get-go, so the MC microcode doesn't matter.". But this card has 730 MHz Engine Clock and 780 MHz Boost Engine Clock. Or are you only talking about the memory speed? That is "1600 MHz, 1800 MHz effective". But maybe that's only marketing talk?

I'm talking about both clocks. My card's clocks are set to 780 MHz and 900 MHz (which gives 1800 MT/s with DDR3 RAM).

Edit: Managed to catch a crash for the first time: RadeonHD.chip (0): wait for 8 fifo entries failed (0 available).

Usually I don't get anything on the serial port when freeze occurs (debug level 3).

That sounds like your GPU is locking up. Are you able to capture a log with the debug version of the Radeon HD driver (once again, the kernel debug level is irrelevant)? If so, submit that as part of your bug report to amigadeveloper.com.

Hans

Offline duga

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2017, 11:30:09 PM »
Quote from: Hans_;820582
No, it has 2 GB. However, that difference shouldn't matter.

Are you using the onboard Sata-II? If so, have you set it up correctly in UBoot? Also, what graphics card were you using on this machine before switching to the R7 240?

I'm talking about both clocks. My card's clocks are set to 780 MHz and 900 MHz (which gives 1800 MT/s with DDR3 RAM).

That sounds like your GPU is locking up. Are you able to capture a log with the debug version of the Radeon HD driver (once again, the kernel debug level is irrelevant)? If so, submit that as part of your bug report to amigadeveloper.com.

Hans

Using a 2-port 3512 SATA card.

I was using a Radeon HD 5450. I have a Radeon HD 4650 too. Both working fine, but no 3D support.

Okay, will try the debug version of the Radeon HD driver tomorrow. Hopefully I have my bugtracker account confirmed till then.

Thanks again.

Offline duga

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2017, 06:37:28 PM »
Still waiting for the Mantis bugtracker account.

In the meantime:
RadeonHD.chip (2): The detected amount of video RAM is 4294967296
RadeonHD.chip (2): The detected amount of video RAM exceeds the PCI BAR aperture for video RAM.
RadeonHD.chip (2): Only 268435456 of the total 0 is accessible by the CPU.
RadeonHD.chip (5): Framebuffer space used by Firmware (kb): 0
RadeonHD.chip (5): rhdAtomGetFbBaseAndSize: AtomBIOS specified VRAM scratch space size invalid
RadeonHD.chip (5): AtomBIOS scratch space size not specified; default to: 20480
RadeonHD.chip (1): Cannot get VRAM scratch space. Allocating in main memory instead

Is that a problem?

In the end I get a freeze without Radeon debug output, or I get this:

RadeonHD.chip (0): wait for 8 fifo entries failed (0 available).

Offline Hans_

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2017, 01:42:45 AM »
Quote from: duga;820633
Still waiting for the Mantis bugtracker account.

In the meantime:
RadeonHD.chip (2): The detected amount of video RAM is 4294967296
RadeonHD.chip (2): The detected amount of video RAM exceeds the PCI BAR aperture for video RAM.
RadeonHD.chip (2): Only 268435456 of the total 0 is accessible by the CPU.
RadeonHD.chip (5): Framebuffer space used by Firmware (kb): 0
RadeonHD.chip (5): rhdAtomGetFbBaseAndSize: AtomBIOS specified VRAM scratch space size invalid
RadeonHD.chip (5): AtomBIOS scratch space size not specified; default to: 20480
RadeonHD.chip (1): Cannot get VRAM scratch space. Allocating in main memory instead

Is that a problem?

Shouldn't be. There's clearly a bug in the debug output, but the driver should be able to handle >= 4GB VRAM.

Hans

Offline duga

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2017, 09:33:28 PM »
Still waiting for my bug report account at Amigadeveloper.com; ten days and counting.

Has anyone managed to get a 4 GB Oland card working?

Offline amigakit

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2017, 12:09:18 AM »
Hello

Your account is already active.  It was activated a week ago.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline duga

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2017, 11:27:58 AM »
Quote from: amigakit;821403
Hello

Your account is already active.  It was activated a week ago.

Thanks, but I still haven't received any email. That means I don't have a password and without that I can't login.

Offline amigakit

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2017, 04:08:03 PM »
Check your Spam filter or add to your Safe Senders List if you are using Hotmail.

You have opened two accounts now and I have sent the confirmation email to the first (gmx) email account.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit