Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 2000 battery PCB and CPU socket damage  (Read 1249 times)

Description:

Offline Castellen

Re: Amiga 2000 battery PCB and CPU socket damage
« on: December 07, 2016, 06:09:32 PM »
Quote from: Nitz76;817413
Unsoldering this thing was quite a challenge since the lead used back then was not RoHS at all!

I managed to remove it bit by bit by cutting it in 4 parts.

The lead based solder is a lot easier to work with due to its lower melting temperature and better wetting ability.

One of the easier ways to remove these sockets is to bend the outer edge of each socket contact towards the centre of the socket using a craft knife, giving you something to grip onto.  With the PCB vertical, grip the bent-in contact with needle nosed pliers or sidecutters while you heat the solder joint on the other side of the board.  Gently pull on the contact and it easily slides out of the plastic frame.  Repeat for all contacts, then clear the holes using a solder sucker or wick.

Offline Castellen

Re: Amiga 2000 battery PCB and CPU socket damage
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 05:52:50 AM »
Quote from: Nitz76;817429

Original version had 220uF coupling caps. That was ugly.  I then tried the opposite, 0,1uF. Image was sharp but every sharp shape were bleeding. Now I put 10uF.  It's the best I got up to now.  I've been suggested to use 0,22uF.

Any analog guru out there?

Analogue design happens to be one of my jobs....

Sounds like a matter of working out the capacitor time constants with regard to the AC coupling.  Send me a copy of the schematic and a scope capture of the signal you're expecting to couple and I'll have a look for you.  Contact: http://amiga.serveftp.net

For a video pattern generator, search for TestCardRTG on Aminet - Barry Walker and I developed this a few years back.