Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ubuntu 10.10  (Read 9351 times)

Description:

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
Re: Ubuntu 10.10
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 11:34:12 PM »
Linux is fine for bread an butter ie web/comms/ and office for an average user.

If you dabble in 2D photo manipulation, 3D, video editing, well, on Linux that can be a painful experience.  And games..

If what you want is Ubuntu's software centre, installation is fine.  If not, its a pain.  Eg I muck about with emulation SNES, N64.  Even Instaling the latest versions that aren't in the Ubuntu software centre is a pain in the  arse, compared with the Win versions.

Stability wise, XP Pro rarely crashed, Vista hasn't-at all- and neither has my Win 7 laptop.  It hasn't been my experience that Win is any less stable than Ubuntu.

As for security, I'm not convinced that Ubuntu is any more secure per se, just that less time and man hours is devoted to exploiting its holes.  And there must be holes, else why are the security updates being released periodically for it?

I don't particularly like the Ubuntu (Gnome and KDE 4) look and feel either, and I don't think its as fast and efficient as its claimed.  I think its the Windows of the Linux world; people use it because other people use it.  

And i hate the "re-install after 18 months" release cycle, or go to LTS and possibly end up with a POS like 10.04 where i couldn't even get a mobile modem to work, even though it was fine in 9.04.

IMO MAndriva was the most polished Linux out there.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 11:34:43 PM »
Quote from: gazgod;623601
/me raises hand

My main workstation stays on the LTS releases.

I only just updated to 10.04 a few weeks ago. It was getting bad when Nicholas was laughing at my "current" machine for "running a retro OS" :lol:
int p; // A

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 11:48:01 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;623603

so 99% of computer uses :)

Stability wise, XP Pro rarely crashed, Vista hasn't-at all- and neither has my Win 7 laptop. It hasn't been my experience that Win is any less stable than Ubuntu.

I think windows instability does get overstated. However, all I can point to is my personal experience. I spend basically zero time doing system maintenance other than installing the updates as they show up, and my system hasn't degraded despite being on basically constantly without reboots (other than kernel updates).

As for security, I'm not convinced that Ubuntu is any more secure per se, just that less time and man hours is devoted to exploiting its holes. And there must be holes, else why are the security updates being released periodically for it?

Its not a question of whether there's holes. Its a question of what they compromise. There's plenty of articles explaining this in more detail than is reasonable for a forum post.

I don't particularly like the Ubuntu (Gnome and KDE 4) look and feel either, and I don't think its as fast and efficient as its claimed. I think its the Windows of the Linux world; people use it because other people use it.
Side by side on identical hardware, I can verify it runs far better than win 7 on my buddys netbook, and versus vista on my desktop. Obviously you can do faster and slicker elsewhere.

As far as the look, change it. Desktop environments can be exchanged. Try XFCE or fluxbox or ..or..or.

Its nice to have choices :)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 11:50:33 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;623603

If you dabble in 2D photo manipulation, 3D, video editing, well, on Linux that can be a painful experience.  And games..

It depends. You can run a fair wedge of software designed for Windows  via Wine these days.

If what you want is Ubuntu's software centre, installation is fine.  If not, its a pain.  Eg I muck about with emulation SNES, N64.  Even Instaling the latest versions that aren't in the Ubuntu software centre is a pain in the  arse, compared with the Win versions.

If you want up to date releases, you could download the source and compile it yourself. Generally only stuff that has been found to be reasonably stable will make its way into regular repositories.

Stability wise, XP Pro rarely crashed, Vista hasn't-at all- and neither has my Win 7 laptop.  It hasn't been my experience that Win is any less stable than Ubuntu.

Yeah, as long as you look after it, any reasonably modern OS tends to be fine in that regard. In my experience, most people have problems with Windows due to naivety.

As for security, I'm not convinced that Ubuntu is any more secure per se, just that less time and man hours is devoted to exploiting its holes.

Actually, exploiting most linux systems is fairly easy, provided you are sat at the machine. What sets it apart from Windows is that it's a lot harder to exploit remotely, and that's the type of exploit most users will unfortunately be exposed to at some time.

And there must be holes, else why are the security updates being released periodically for it?

The sort of vulnerabilities that are routinely found and fixed tend to be things like potential buffer overflow exploits. Sometimes the context in which the vulnerable code is called actually renders the vulnerability "unreachable" from where it is ultimately invoked since some sanity checking further up the chain blocks it, but regardless of whether or not it can be reached, if spotted it will be fixed and find it's way into a security update. This is basically one side effect of having a transparent development process.

I don't particularly like the Ubuntu (Gnome and KDE 4) look and feel either, and I don't think its as fast and efficient as its claimed.  I think its the Windows of the Linux world; people use it because other people use it.

I wouldn't say it was that per se, but it has certainly gained a reputation for comparative ease of use. In itself is debatable, but there is now such a large community of users that whenever you do find a problem any google search will usually return a ubuntu specific discussion.

And i hate the "re-install after 18 months" release cycle, or go to LTS and possibly end up with a POS like 10.04 where i couldn't even get a mobile modem to work, even though it was fine in 9.04.

IMO MAndriva was the most polished Linux out there.

My recent 8.04 to 10.04 distribution upgrade was truly shocking, to be honest. Shocking that it went so well, that is. I was expecting a lot of pain, but the truth is, the biggest nuisance was the time it took to download the various updates/replacements for the 1400 odd packages I've accrued over time.

Anyhow, I suspect you aren't about to try it, but you might find Mint a better distribution for your hardware. It's an ubuntu derivative with a bit more emphasis on including more drivers and various proprietary components (that may be a better fit for any given bit of hardware) out of the box.
int p; // A

Offline trekiejTopic starter

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 01:25:32 AM »
I also like Slackware and Redhat. Fatdog64 runs fine too.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 01:30:49 AM »
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline DaBest

• Show only replies by DaBest
    • http://www.fennecadventures.com
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 01:35:53 AM »
I LOVE Ubuntu...I use it on both my laptops.
\\"Keep it simple STUPID\\"
                    \\" Keep ur AMIGA\\"
:whack:

A4000/040  Desk Top is Back up and running :rtfm:
Picasso4, X-Surf2, 1.2 GIG HD, 24x10x40 CDR, OS3.9,18 MGS of RAM

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 01:38:19 AM »
Personally, I go with Xubuntu over Ubuntu if for no other reason than it doesn't include that MONO library by default.  XFCE also seems to be more stable than Gnome Desktop as a result.

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 01:51:15 AM »
I just used openshot and it seems fine.
I installed it from the software center.
This may be of interest.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_editing_software
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 03:08:52 AM by trekiej »

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 03:00:58 AM »
always wanted to try slackware or gentoo. Be all "hardcore" :)

I just installed Kubuntu 10.10 and am loving KDE so far. Its weird, because in the past I didn't. For some reason, its just clicking now

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 03:17:24 AM »
What is a good vm for running vista/xp?

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 03:17:49 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;623598
Personally, I've been running Ubuntu alongside MorphOS on a PPC Mac for some time now. Works great. More than fast enough and better looking than OSX.

I am getting ready to set up a new hard drive with a triple boot of MorphOS2.7, MacOSX 10.5.8, and Ubuntu 10.10 PPC (or another flavor of Linux if someone can convince me of the advantages of any other Linux distribution over the Ubuntu 10.10 distro).

Can you suggest which method of installation works best to achieve the above, I mean which OS should I install first, which one second and which last?  The hard drive I am putting these on is 320gb in size and I would like to load up a lot of movies & music on it that I can access from all three OSes without having to have duplicate movie & music files on every partition, so I would also like partitioning and partition formatting suggestions.  I have paid for the keyfile for the Ice File System and also own PSF3 commercial, but do not have to use either of them if they are not suggested.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 03:42:45 AM »
Quote from: trekiej;623653

The only one Ive used was virtualbox which is really easy to set up, but can be a bit dodgy for 3D stuff. Its been a while though, and its free to check out.

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2011, 04:13:55 AM »
@runequester
Thanks,I have used it a while back. It was on Win7 and not Linux.
I got vbox installed. I will install vista later.

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2011, 04:19:59 AM »
Has anyone used firewire on Ubuntu 10.10?
If so, how do you think a prosumer camera would fair?

Offline Colani1200

• Show only replies by Colani1200
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 22, 2011, 08:20:16 AM »
Quote from: trekiej;623653

VMware player is nice, especially with "unity mode" (shared clipboard and such).