Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My new Mac Mini G4  (Read 10839 times)

Description:

Offline cv643d

• Show only replies by cv643d
Re: My new Mac Mini G4 - now we're talking :-)
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 30, 2008, 06:18:16 PM »
Piru: When it is released, do you think it will work on G4 notebooks? (you can just tell me yes or no, the usual answer ;) ).
Amiga articles
"New shell. It was finished a while back, but I still see bugs, haha" - SSolie

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Re: My new Mac Mini G4
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2008, 08:16:36 PM »
@Piru,

Is it likely that MorphOS2.x, or 3.x will only run on one exact version of the PPC Mac Mini, or will there be more work done to allow it to run on other PPC Mac models?

If there is good progress on MorphOS for the PPC Mac (Mini, or otherwise), it would make more sense for me to just get an Efika now to buy and run MorphOS2.0, and thereby support the MorphOS team, and look for a compatible PPC Mac instead of the Peg2 G4/1GHz, I was recently looking for.

I have a G4/1GHz PowerBook that I could easily repair if MorphOS3.0 becomes available and runs on it.

Any advice you can give me without breaking your NDA? :-D
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline PiruTopic starter

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2008, 08:32:50 PM »
@cv643d
Piru: When it is released, do you think it will work on G4 notebooks? (you can just tell me yes or no, the usual answer ;]])

For now I can only confirm Mini. Even the Mini port is not ready.

@amigadave
Is it likely that MorphOS2.x, or 3.x will only run on one exact version of the PPC Mac Mini, or will there be more work done to allow it to run on other PPC Mac models?

It ATM runs on all PPC Mac Minis. Other models depend on the team motivation. Also, some models are clearly out (anything with other than Radeon gfxcard for example, or anything too ancient to be worth considering).

Any advice you can give me without breaking your NDA?

No NDAs to break, I just don't want to promise something we can't deliver.

So in short, if you want MOS right now, get a Pegasos or EFIKA.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2008, 10:12:51 PM »

Piru wrote:
[::dancingbanana::]

Some quick FAQ:
- It is not available for public alpha or beta testing
- It is not completed yet, so no release is imminent either
- Yes it says MOS 3.0 there, but that's just the "working title", MorphOS 2.x has priority for now

Son of a......  :-o
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Painkiller

• Show only replies by Painkiller
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2008, 10:33:11 PM »
Great now that you have a Mac Mini, we can get MOS on it sooner rather than later I assume :)

Offline Painkiller

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2008, 04:50:03 PM »
Just got my Mac Mini 1,5GHz :D

Playing around with OSX now and I find it to be horribly slow and un responsive :( Maybe I got spoiled with PEG II and MOS 2.0 even Efika with MOS 2.0 seems faster tough it will crash in a minute once you start it. Atleast OSX seems stable :) But there is no way I would use this OS in daily use unless I can somehow make it more responsive. OSX seems quite easy to use and configure compared to Windows I'm using this for the first time and it seems like I have everything already up and running.

Thank you Piru for the numerous Mac Mini links in this thread :)

EDIT: Hmm I have to take my words back a bit :) I got rid of the Symantec AV that was installed in the system and now everything seems much quicker and I kind of like the system.

@Piru how does that Leopard feel? Is it a whorty upgrade over 10.4.11?

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2008, 08:58:26 PM »
MorphOS have the amiga feelling that os4 havent, lest wait to the release, sooner plz :)

OSX is not like the "experience" that apple fans speak, i find it too simple and no applications from users just from big corps, by the way...

Im lokking for a boot selector and just find some for intel macs, anyone knows some for ppc?. Thanks.
a1200 060

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2008, 09:03:57 PM »
@Painkiller
how does that Leopard feel? Is it a whorty upgrade over 10.4.11?

Tiger is a bit faster, but it's ok. It really likes to gobble memory so you'd better have the max 1GB for Leopard.

@Kickstart
Im lokking for a boot selector and just find some for intel macs, anyone knows some for ppc?

http://yaboot.ozlabs.org/

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2008, 11:59:39 PM »
Very cool. But I'm still waiting for some PS3 action. Or Xbox 360 or Wii. Even a Gamecube port would be better than continuing to fiddle with other out of date and overpriced hardware. ;-)

Offline kreciu

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2008, 12:33:13 AM »
Is there any way to run this Mos on iBook G4? This is almost MacMini... ;).

Serious question, I have one around :).
Re-A1200inE/BOX/3.2/AmigaOS3.2/TF1260@66Mhz/256Mb/MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/FDD-HD

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2008, 03:08:21 AM »
I'm with you Trev, MorphOS or Amiga OS 4.1 would rock on PS3 and it just might help Sony's platform. I do love my PS3.

Offline Sparky

• Show only replies by Sparky
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2008, 03:49:12 AM »

Pyromania wrote:
I'm with you Trev, MorphOS or Amiga OS 4.1 would rock on PS3 and it just might help Sony's platform. I do love my PS3.

"just might help Sony's platform." ... well that made me smile :-)

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2008, 05:55:30 AM »
@Pyromania

To be honest, I've been holding off on a PS3 purchase. Apart from my choice to go with HD-DVD (d'oh!), the PS3 has too much tinker potential. I have too many toys as it is. ;-)

@Sparky

Despite Sony's win with Blu-Ray, the PS2 still holds plenty of value for most users, the Xbox 360 is a solid system (software-wise), and neither can topple the Wii. While I don't think MorphOS or OS4 will do much to boost PS3 sales, I would love to see either or both operating systems available for a platform that will be around for at least another five years. The Cell processor also provides plenty of room for growth. (It's not like any Amiga will ever be pushing polygons like a state of the art x86/x64 PC.)

Offline HammerD

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2008, 06:02:11 AM »
@Piru

How is the performance of the Mac Mini @ 1.58GHz vs Pegasos 2 G4 1.0GHz running MorphOS 2.0? Is it noticably better?

AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2008, 12:23:23 PM »
@HammerD
How is the performance of the Mac Mini @ 1.58GHz vs Pegasos 2 G4 1.0GHz running MorphOS 2.0? Is it noticably better?

CPU performance is obviously 1.58 times the Peg2 G4. The CPUs are identical (except for revision), and thus the CPU clock directly denotes the performance.

Memory performance is noticeably better on the Mac Mini. CPU VMEM access is slower (than my radeon 8500LE), however. Gfxcard is slower (naturally), too, but not too bad. The original Apple HDD is pretty shuggish 4200RPM, but it can be upgraded to 5400 or 7200 RPM, modern drive.

The Mini has some other drawbacks, too, such as having no PCI expandability. On the other hand it has USB2, and with a HUB you can connect a lot of devices. On the other hand the Mini is very handy for travel (at least if the destination has a monitor and keyboard).

In short: Yes, noticeably faster, especially in CPU and memory bound tasks.

Offline Painkiller

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2008, 12:58:51 PM »
About the GFX chip isn't it actually faster to use when accessing from the system and not using the VRAM as Mac Mini has a real AGP 4x port where as PEG II has some sort of PCI to AGP hack to my understanding. Correct me if I'm wrong.