Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I know Windoze Suck..but..  (Read 3051 times)

Description:

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
Re: I know Windoze Suck..but..
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 02:35:28 PM »
i dont know if id go as far as saying that windows rocks but i would say that computers would be nowhere where they are today withough microsoft and intel.

windows has alot of problems most due to its popularity (everyone wants to run in on all kinds of goofy hardware, and hackers dont bother with unpopular os being 2 reasons)
and intel cpus have poroblems mostly due to backwards compatibility. but all in all both companies have reseased products that have been useful for millions of people and have constantly pushed the state of the art.

commodore pushed technology twice  with the 1000 and the 3000. aga in 92 was only a minor push.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline Agafaster

• Show only replies by Agafaster
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2006, 02:35:33 PM »
...so in the end, revenge will be ours!
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
\\"Those are all cricketers, Bruce !\\"
A1XE G3/800MHz Radeon 7000 512MB
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline ikir

• Show only replies by ikir
    • http://www.ikirsector.it
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2006, 03:41:39 PM »
Vista SUCKS! It is the bad copy of Mac OS X Tiger. It is the same as XP, confusing and non-logical bugged OS.

Buy a Mac if you can't wait for an Amiga, you will enjoy it.

3D windows, widgets and other cool thing HAS BEEN ON MAC OS SINCE YEARS! As always the wait a year to implement and copy things from OS X... and usually they are not even good at copy.

Offline Colani1200

• Show only replies by Colani1200
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2006, 04:04:19 PM »

Vlabguy1 wrote:
I know Windoze Suck..but..

There's no but. It just sucks, that's it. You might want to have a look at the EULA if you're still unsure.

If you want to stick to the PC and want to use an OS that works for you (not against you, like Vista), try some BSD or Linux flavor. Otherwise, a Mac is also a good choice. I agree with ikir, Vista is just a bad, broken copy of OS-X.

Offline SuperTurbo

• Show only replies by SuperTurbo
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2006, 05:18:40 PM »
Buy a Mac if you can't wait for an Amiga, you will enjoy it.

Never!! I like using Workbench because it´s fast, system efficient and allows the user to have more control over whats happening. MacOSX have none of these attributes whatsoever.

MacOSX is just a bunch of fancy, overdesigned graphics with none of the configurability that the Amiga has (or even Windoze). And you got to know illogical Unix commands to be able to use the MacOS CLI as well...

As long as I can get Windows for free or even Linux, I´ll rather stick with that!  :-P
\\"I´ve got the flag!!\\"

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2006, 05:35:23 PM »
Vista is not very good in my opinion.. It is just XP with more annoying features and way more bloat. Even 1gig of memory aint enough!

Offline Tomas

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2006, 05:38:13 PM »
Thanks...for your thoughts..I did go to the M$ website. I do like the idea of the

It would have been useful if it was done right. But microsoft got everything wrong, which means that you have to have the latest and best graphic card even to be able to use it. Linux has had similar features for some time now and this works just fine even one low end 3d card.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2006, 05:52:06 PM »
Not tried it myself yet, but just download it off the microsfot website.

Windows Vista RC1 is available and it will work until June next year, giving you plenty of time to see how things pan out.

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Tomas

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2006, 05:56:36 PM »
Windows Vista RC1 is available and it will work until June next year, giving you plenty of time to see how things pan out.

Not available anymore afaik. I believe they pulled that offer after just a few days.

Offline stopthegop

• Show only replies by stopthegop
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2006, 06:02:39 PM »
I agree w/ SuperTurbo.  Regrettably, Windoze is the better of several really bad choices of so-called "modern" operating systems -- namely the bewildering array of Unix wannabes, MacOS among them.  I believe unix was developed in the early 1960s, wasn't it?  So why now, almost half a century later, is this antiquity hailed as the crowning achievement of high tech, especially by self-congratulatory companies like Apple.  We could solve the global energy crisis if someone could figure out how to convert all the OS-X hype into methane gas!  At least Winidoze and AmigaOS were created when most of us were alive (Mac68K, too), but not OS X, which is a cheesy cover of a golden oldie -- an absurdly bloated one at that.    If I *need* to use Outlook, or *need* to play DVDs, or *need* to do some relatively rare task that my Amiga cannot do, then my choice is Windoze.  For everything else, AmigaOS all the way.  Its lightweight, fast, efficient, responsive, intuitive and powerful.    
Primary:
A4000T. Phase5 PPC604e-233mhz/060-66mhz. Mediator, Z3 Fastlane, Voodoo5, Delfina, X-Surf, AD516, Peggy Plus.

Collection:
A4000D, A1200, A500, Milan060 (Atari clone), Atari MegaSTE, Atari TT030, C64, C128, Mattel Aquarius, (2) HP Jornada....

Offline tonyvdb

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2006, 07:41:15 PM »
Microsoft has tried to make the best of a bad thing...When Windowz XP came out is was hyped as a new and better OS for the PC Given that they redesigned it to not use DOS as its footprint like 3.1 or 98 ME was a disaster and 2000 did very little for improvement.
Now Microsoft has decided to make an OS that does more but forgetting that more memory usage is NOT going to make it run better "more eye candy" is all Vista is. At least the Mac has a good OS and solid from the getgo.
Amiga 2000HD Indivision ECS
Amiga 4000D towerised OS 3.1 and 3.9 on CF cards
Indivision AGA, Mediator 4000
Video Toaster 4000 Flyer v4.3 Millenium.
202gig of video drive space & 5gig audio.

Offline monami

• Show only replies by monami
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2006, 07:46:22 PM »
i'm not buying it till i have to. i used to like win98. but things seem to be done in ways i find hard increasingly hard to understand...
i am forever going to hate m$ for product activation. it's a slap in the face they can never take back, as far as i'm concerned. if it wasn't for drm i would not own windows, but they have tied you to it. i prefer xandros and ubuntu. ubuntu is a particularly fast moving os in terms of development. i also would never own an xbox. i really am begining to hate m$. at one point i would have said i was a fan... i also don't agree with how much it costs. and i hate "oem" and the lack of support for their products. i am affraid mentioning m$ on a site like this will always cause a bad taste in the mouth. they have no place in the happy computing memories/ nostalgia i feel for technology new or old. i can't wait for the evil empire to crumble.
i will bless them that bless you. i will curse them that curse you. gods promise to his chosen people the jews.

Offline Colani1200

• Show only replies by Colani1200
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2006, 09:16:46 PM »

stopthegop wrote:
I agree w/ SuperTurbo.  Regrettably, Windoze is the better of several really bad choices of so-called "modern" operating systems -- namely the bewildering array of Unix wannabes, MacOS among them.  I believe unix was developed in the early 1960s, wasn't it?

That was Multics, an early predecessor. Unix was actually born in 1970.

So why now, almost half a century later, is this antiquity hailed as the crowning achievement of high tech, especially by self-congratulatory companies like Apple.

For the same reason people still use their antique Amiga. It simply works - in a unique and very efficient way.

We could solve the global energy crisis if someone could figure out how to convert all the OS-X hype into methane gas!  At least Winidoze and AmigaOS were created when most of us were alive (Mac68K, too), but not OS X, which is a cheesy cover of a golden oldie -- an absurdly bloated one at that.

Hmm... reading that, I doubt you have really ever used OS-X. Besides, it's not half as bloated as Vista.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2006, 10:32:07 PM »
f me, if you did a search i reckon there are more threads bashing microsoft, than praising amiga on this forum.

The truth of the matter, despite their business tatics, microsoft actullay make useable, and well made products.

I love amiga, and I have tried to use linux, but to be honest I have got much better things to do with my life, than trying to install and set-up linux.  I want to be able to use a computer for work and playing games, surfing etc...  not setting the fing thing up.

windows just install with miniaml fuss, and is ready to use.

get over it people, yes windows is bloated, but hardmare and storage is cheap.  everything has its faults, but give me XP over any linux distro i have tried , anyday of the week.

and before I hear it, windows is stable.  the only time I have to restart windows is when i choose to switch my pc off
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2006, 10:48:40 PM »
If it weren't for the fact Win98 becomes highly unstable when attempting to use it on my AthlonXP board, I'd still be using it today. As it stands, I'm sticking with Win2k untill either I run into the same hardware incompatabilities, or AROS becomes functional enough to replace it as my main OS.

MacOS X was actually my idea... Mine and probably thousands of others who emailed Apple to let them know their original OS sucked, and didn't even come close to touching the capabilities of their excellent hardware. My email to them suggested a posix compliant OS such as BSD.

Behold, the darwin BSD kernel, the core of OSX. Sitting under a nicely prettied up X interface.

Since the move to RISC86 processors, I don't see it being too far into the future that Apple abandons their computer hardware entirely, and sells OSX for use on PCs. I'm betting they're making way more in iPod sales than on their computers... And it would create a direct, wide-spread competitor for Windoze... With plenty of industry support. Far more than even Linux has.

But back to the topic at hand, Windows Vista is a much needed move to directly support the new 64-bit RISC86 processors, as well as take better advantage of the wave of 3D accellerators.

That said, given the massive overhead of Win2k and XP, I shudder to think what Vista will require just to run itself, nevermind applications. Running Win2k myself, the system cache alone sucks up 287MB of my 512MB memory.

287MB of RAM JUST FOR MY OS?! That's absolutely absurd! XP is even worse, tho the hype says it's supposed to be an improvement. At least I can RUN Win2k with 128MB of RAM or less... Try it with XP sometime! Linux is getting just as bad.

So, I'll wait patiently for AROS to gain more functionality. I've seen how small a footprint it has, as well as what it's capable of. Proof we don't need hardware hogging operating systems.
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -

Offline TheWizard

• Show only replies by TheWizard
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 30, 2006, 11:38:59 PM »

SuperTurbo wrote:

Never!! I like using Workbench because it´s fast, system efficient and allows the user to have more control over whats happening. MacOSX have none of these attributes whatsoever.

Efficient...well yes. Other than that, where have you been?

MacOSX is just a bunch of fancy, overdesigned graphics with none of the configurability that the Amiga has (or even Windoze). And you got to know illogical Unix commands to be able to use the MacOS CLI as well...

You know, my dual G5 can whip up windows faster than any of my accelerated Amigas period. As for the Amiga CLI, well... filling in the letters - i.e. using "list" as opposed to "ls" is not that much better.  :roll:
Amigas:
A1000, 8mb Phoenix Fast-Ram Expansion
A2000HD, Kick 3.1, Fusion 68040, 20megs Fast Ram, Genlock