Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: IE7  (Read 3991 times)

Description:

Offline InTheSand

• Show only replies by InTheSand
    • http://www.ali.geek.nz
Re: IE7
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 12:40:41 AM »

blobrana wrote:
(noone should be using IE to surf anyway....)

Exactly! Why would anyone want to use the bug-infested security hazard known as IE when Firefox works so well?!

- Ali

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2006, 02:54:06 AM »
Exactly! Why would anyone want to use the bug-infested security hazard known as IE when Firefox works so well?!

Not to trumpet IE, but FireFox still has tons of problems.  It trashes its profiles regularly, must be WIPED OUT if you want to re-install it, or else damaged profiles will be retained, the download manager sucks, it crashes, extensions are always having version conflicts, bad extentions blow up the whole browser, it still suffers from an annoying "Sticky Alt Key" bug that has been in the browser since 0.8, the JavaScript debugger actually ignores certain critical errors... etc., etc., etc...

Trivial bugs just don't get fixed, at least not in the Win32 version.  Also, I have to wait for my extensions to be updated before I can get a FireFox update, so new versions are hardly welcome.  I've had to re-install it, like, twenty times since I started using it a couple years ago.  IE never gave me much trouble other than ActiveX, which I have disabled.  If only Flash wasn't implemented as an ActiveX control, I'd use IE more often.

Oh yeah, and now that FireFox is popular, pop-up blocking doesn't work, anymore, and I've had more than one site nag me to install an XPI or two.  Security through obscurity no longer applies.

I have FireFox as my default browser, as it is good, but I wish people would point out its faults more often.  It has plenty of design flaws of its own.

As for Opera, it's ugly and the GUI is stupid.  It does, however, have a phenominal JavaScript debugger.  If a web page works with Opera, it'll work with anything.  ;-)

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2006, 02:57:31 PM »
After reading that I'm glad I switched to Opera before Firefox took off.  Although that was one of the browsers I tried along with Netscape, K-Meleon and a few others.

I've never had a problem with Opera.  The only bad thing about it is that some pop-ups do get past the blocker, but not many.  Maybe only 2 a week.
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

Offline blobranaTopic starter

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2006, 08:02:30 PM »
Microsoft has made available their latest beta preview build of their Internet Explorer 7.0 web browser.

"Evaluation of Internet Explorer 7 should start now, but the software should not be used on production systems in mission-critical environments. Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview will only run on Windows® XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) systems, but will ultimately be available for Windows Vista, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, and Windows Server 2003."

http://www.microsoft.com/IE7

(Remember that its still beta...)

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2006, 08:23:08 PM »
As for Opera, it's ugly and the GUI is stupid. It does, however, have a phenominal JavaScript debugger. If a web page works with Opera, it'll work with anything.
???ugly???? you have about a million skins to pick from. you can make Opera look the way you want it to. :-D
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2006, 08:27:36 PM »
Looks like Microsoft Firefox to me.

That "streamlined interface" not only looks awful, but looks like it would be quite clunky.  I don't know if it was just the examples shown, but the tabs looked really cramped.

The other thing that caught my attention was that that phishing feature, I wonder how it works (could there be privacy issues there) and I wonder if it can be abused.  I'm always wary about software making judgements on content I access.

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2006, 08:32:17 PM »
IE? Yuck! :insane: You'd have to fill me up to the brim to get me to use that crap.

The security architecture is a joke (ActiveX, VBscript, zone model :-P) - maybe M$ completely rebuilt the current crap of IE6, but why bother? Firefox has all you need, security problems are rare (in relation), small and quickly fixed.

Offline Legerdemain

• Show only replies by Legerdemain
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2006, 09:02:19 PM »
It trashes its profiles regularly, must be WIPED OUT if you want to re-install it, or else damaged profiles will be retained, the download manager sucks, it crashes, extensions are always having version conflicts, bad extentions blow up the whole browser, it still suffers from an annoying "Sticky Alt Key" bug that has been in the browser since 0.8, the JavaScript debugger actually ignores certain critical errors... etc., etc., etc...
[...]
Oh yeah, and now that FireFox is popular, pop-up blocking doesn't work, anymore, and I've had more than one site nag me to install an XPI or two. Security through obscurity no longer applies.
[...]
I have FireFox as my default browser, as it is good, but I wish people would point out its faults more often. It has plenty of design flaws of its own.

Uhm, interesting... I have never had a profile become trashed, I have never had any problems whatsoever with the download manager, I haven't noticed any version conflicts with the extensions and concerning the sticky alt key bug, I don't even know what it is (and thus I guess I haven't experienced it). The only thing I have noticed is that the pop-up blocker isn't as efficient as it used to be before, and that pages which plays Quicktime audiofiles (which autoloads) have managed to crasch the browser at times.

So, in my case, I haven't pointed out the flaws since I haven't really experienced any flaws to the extent that I have felt a need to point them out. Though, I have to say, I don't consider FireFox being a perfect browser in any aspect. But compared to IE6, I'm having a really hard time seeing what IE6 offers that FireFox doesn't (except a bit more reliable Windows Media streams).
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline AmigaEd

• His Dudeness, El Duderino
    • Show only replies by AmigaEd
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2006, 12:02:28 AM »
Hmmmm....
As much as I use my Amiga for browsing and love the Amiga in general, IE and Firefox with all of their bugs and viruses intact still blow away any form of browser that currently is available for the Amiga.

Perhaps it's best not to throw glass in stone houses. You'll only end up with cut feet.

Best Regards,
AmigaEd

"Pretty soon they will have numbers tattooed on our foreheads." - Jay Miner 1990

La Familia...
A1K - La Primera Dama -1987
A1K - La Princesa- January 2005
A2K - La Reina - February 2005
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
A500 - El Gran Jugador - April 2005
A1200 - La Hermosa Vista - May 2005
A2KHD - El Duro Grande - May 2005
A600 - Prístino - May 2005
A1200 - El Trueno Grande - July 2005
CDTV - El Misterioso - August 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2006, 01:59:37 AM »
Hummm,
As an update, the official release version is build 5296.
The leaked version is build 5299....

And it seems that you can`t officially validate (install) the leaked version anymore... (there are ways round this of course)..

Offline Vincent

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2006, 12:27:05 PM »

uncharted wrote:
The other thing that caught my attention was that that phishing feature, I wonder how it works (could there be privacy issues there) and I wonder if it can be abused.  I'm always wary about software making judgements on content I access.

The anti-phishing feature is also a plugin for the MSN toolbar at the moment.

There are docs on the m$ website about it, but I can't find them just now, and they'd probably not tell you what you want to know anyway.
Xbox360

Re: IE7 beta
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2006, 07:41:57 PM »
Hum,
The anti-phishing feature  and locking  of the toolbar is a good feature in principle...

I noticed that a security vulnerability in the Beta 2 Preview release of Internet Explorer 7 has already been found.
 The bug lies in the urlmon.dll file and causes the browser to crash when it encounters a URL with the "file://" protocol followed by a long string of dashes.

Offline Vincent

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2006, 04:38:14 PM »
So... after a couple of weeks, how is IE7?

Any more problems or possible bugs?
Xbox360

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2006, 08:39:52 PM »
Hum,
i have just kept it on my computer....It seems quite stable and i haven't had any problems with macromedia files since i first installed it.

It works with iespell, and it’s a bit faster than ie6 too.

(i haven`t tried the older M$  build 5296).

Re: IE7 beta 2
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2006, 12:15:41 AM »
A new preview version of Microsoft's Internet Explorer is out, (11Mb)

The Beta 2 preview of version 7 build number of  (7.0.5335.5) sports a much more compact and streamlined interface than that of the current IE, with a strong emphasis on dedicating as much of the window as possible to the displayed Web site.

If you use Windows XP with Service Pack 2, you can download the new beta 2 program.

Weblink:

BTW, Also released today is an alpha version of Firefox 2.0 called "Bon Echo" which is now available on Mozilla's FTP servers.
Link: (Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux versions.)

Offline Martin_Lee

• Show only replies by Martin_Lee
    • http://amiga1200.deviantart.com
Re: IE7 beta 2
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 21, 2006, 03:32:36 PM »
1. wtf are you doing running windoze? lol
2. who gives a crap about IE?
3. quite a few browsers out there are much better (and finished)
4. umm cant think of a 4th except. wtf?!