Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows Or OSX?  (Read 3574 times)

Description:

Offline Brian Hoskins

• Electronics Engineer & Computer Programmer
    • Show all replies
    • brianhoskins.uk
Re: Windows Or OSX?
« on: December 01, 2004, 10:38:16 PM »
I use AmigaOS on a daily basis because a well equipped Amiga1200 machine takes pride of place on my computer desk as my "main machine".  In addition to the Amiga I use a fairly modern laptop which runs WindowsXP, and I normally use that alongside my Amiga so that the Amiga's monitor is my main screen, and then I can turn to the side slightly to use the laptop if I need or want to.

I can't really comment on OSX because I've never tried it for long enough to form an opinion, but I have to say I always hated the MacOS of old.  Since a lot of people have told me OSX is very much improved I wont hold that against it - I just wont form an opinion.

If we're talking about an AmigaOS V Windows thread, then in my opinion AmigaOS wins, in the context of which is the best operating system.  WindowsXP has more features and appeals to the modern computing world more so than AmigaOS, but if we're talking about which is the better "Operating System" then I have to say AmigaOS wins hands down, especially if you talk about the literal definition of an Operating System.

I generally use AmigaOS for everything that I can, and then turn to Windows when I find that there's no equivalent application on AmigaOS which can perform the job as well as that on Windows.  This means that I usually do things like DVD writing or CD/DVD ripping on the PC because raw processing power is needed for that, and the applications aren't really there to allow me to do it on AmigaOS.

Generally I use the Amiga for most things because it is my preference, and I will continue to do so for as long as it remains my preference.  I can't see that situation changing for a while yet.

Brian