Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows Or OSX?  (Read 3567 times)

Description:

Offline HopperJFTopic starter

• Show only replies by HopperJF
    • http://www.michael-powell.blogspot.com
Windows Or OSX?
« on: December 01, 2004, 06:11:05 PM »
I seen this discussion on the Mac Format board.. which do you prefer and why?
I know this may be accused of as flamebait, and I know Windows will probably win because the user base is larger.. but I am more interested in WHY you think its the best rather than how many of you think what OS is the best.

I love OSX simply because it is so reliable and so easy to use, and so comfortable. I don't know why I thnk that - I just do and I'm not talking bull either.. I mean I could easily flog the Mac and get an x86 box if I preferred Windows.. or ANY x86 operating system for that matter. Before OSX that is a different story, but in them days (1990s) I really enjoyed working with AmigaOS because like the MacOS, I felt comfortable using it and it was reliable and fast. (AmigaOS 3.1 would boot off my hard drive in 5 seconds flat.. on a 14MHz Amiga 1200!!) but times have changed, although AmigaOS 4 looks very nice, I decided to switch to a more up-to-date operating system with better support. Linux would have been nice but it is awkward to use and I'd be lost in a spaghetti of different distributions and architectures.
I wanted things simple - like the Amiga.

MacOS was the only way to go, and boy am I glad I made that decision. I don't want to support a monopoly, one of a bad product at that, so Windows was out of the question. A nice Mac was what I needed. And OSX is just the best release of the operating system by far, it is absolutely revolutionary compared to all the other OS's on the market, INCLUDING the much-praised Windows XP which I happen to think is a load of bollocks, badly written drivers, ugly eye-candy and compatibility issues, whilst OSX is a seamless upgrade from the previous generations of the MacOS whilst retaining all the attribues that make MacOS so great and pleasurable in the first place.. which includes ease-of-use, reliability and functionality.. not to mention being friendly.

The only good OS Microsoft have made in my opinion is DOS. If DOS was still being developed and supported I'd probably use it as well as OSX but it doesn't so..

OSX wins hands-down, no matter what the Windows users may say.. I have used both and OSX is definitely the better OS. OSX is the way to go baby!!!

Next??  :-)
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.

Re: Windows Or OSX?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 06:13:28 PM »
I've just thought to make this less of a flame-risk and more interesting, not just Windows or OSX but ANY OS you prefer to use and why.  :-)

Offline Mike_Amiga

• Show only replies by Mike_Amiga
    • http://www.mp3.com.au/forefinger
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 06:49:14 PM »
I like my OS X too, it's got largely all the stuff I need but I wish they'd stop adding features. If I could install a cutdown version with all the sort of stuff I don't need taken out, it would fly on lower end machines and leave more power to throw at graphically intensive games or something else, perhaps video editing or rendering 3D stuff.

It's one of the best of the bloated OS bunch though. :-D
AKA ED-209 on IRC...

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 06:52:11 PM »
I dont have a Mac so I'd say Windows... Win 2k to be exact.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline FastRobPlus

• Show only replies by FastRobPlus
    • http://bye
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 06:53:45 PM »
Betcha this thread devolves real quick...

I gotta say, either OS should work fine.  Just make sure you get MS Office to complete it!

Sorry! Didn't realise this was posted in the Amiga Software discussion forum. I'll drop off the thread.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 07:00:10 PM »
I find OSX a bit "Computing for those that don't want to be computing". It's a nice, and I could live with it if I had to, but I do prefer WinXP (with the eyecandy switched off).

I hate eye candy... I want just enough gui to do the job in hand :-)

Offline ikir

• Show only replies by ikir
    • http://www.ikirsector.it
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 07:14:20 PM »
@HopperJF
Are you joking??

OS X really kick ass :-) It is a great operating system, probably the best outhere for home users.

MAC RULEZ :-)

Offline mr_a500

• Show only replies by mr_a500
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 07:39:14 PM »
I first used Windows in 1995 after not having used a computer since 1991 (Amiga WB1.3). I thought it was pretty good when I first started using it, but after a few days I started getting annoyed. It seemed that Windows was fighting me every step of the way. Things that should have been obvious were tedious and stupidly designed.

Then after being forced to use Windows every day at work, my annoyances became extreme stress. To cut down on the stress, I made a text file which I called "Windows Stupidity" listing all bugs and bad design that Microsoft never fixed. I added to it whenever I found a new bug or moronic design. That text file got pretty damn big! Anyway, when OSX came out I was thrilled. It blew away Windows! (at that time Windows NT/2000 - I haven't used XP)

Of course, then I decided to severely upgrade my Amiga and I'm happy and calm now. The Amiga is far from perfect, but I can almost always get it to do what I want - without it actively preventing me from doing things. Modern technology seems to be more about controlling the users and protecing investment, rather than ease and freedom of use.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 07:48:34 PM »
I regularly use AmigaOS, Win2K and OSX 10.3

There's plenty to admire and dislike about all of them. OSX, IMHO is great for no hassle home computing, but alas at work it's largely a pain in the bum. I have to spend half my time in the terminal to get anything useful done.

Win2K, is of course the spawn of that great bane of computer software, MS. Despite this I find it pretty useful. Of course it can be a total pain in the backside too, but so can OSX or AmigaOS.

AmigaOS, on the whole suits me down to the ground. Only the lack of applications is the drawback for me. In terms of what an OS should feel like, to me it is perfect - the balance between ease of use and flexibility is just right.
int p; // A

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 07:59:09 PM »

Karlos wrote:
I regularly use AmigaOS, Win2K and OSX 10.3

There's plenty to admire and dislike about all of them. OSX, IMHO is great for no hassle home computing, but alas at work it's largely a pain in the bum. I have to spend half my time in the terminal to get anything useful done.

Win2K, is of course the spawn of that great bane of computer software, MS. Despite this I find it pretty useful. Of course it can be a total pain in the backside too, but so can OSX or AmigaOS.

AmigaOS, on the whole suits me down to the ground. Only the lack of applications is the drawback for me. In terms of what an OS should feel like, to me it is perfect - the balance between ease of use and flexibility is just right.

Karlos expressed my views better than I did :-D

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2004, 08:01:00 PM »

bloodline wrote:
I find OSX a bit "Computing for those that don't want to be computing". It's a nice, and I could live with it if I had to, but I do prefer WinXP (with the eyecandy switched off).

I hate eye candy... I want just enough gui to do the job in hand :-)

I feel exactly the same about Windows.. I mean who runs Windows because they are interested in computing.. most users run it because they HAVE to for compatibility purposes, or simply because its the only OS they are aware of..
MacOS is definitely more enthusiast orientated if you ask me..

Offline tolismlf

• Show only replies by tolismlf
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2004, 08:02:07 PM »
I use Windows XP. It's the mainstream OS that's why. I also like the OS X GUI but... it's no use. For me.

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2004, 08:02:47 PM »

ikir wrote:
@HopperJF
Are you joking??

OS X really kick ass :-) It is a great operating system, probably the best outhere for home users.

MAC RULEZ :-)

No I'm not joking, I feel exactly the same as you.

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2004, 08:03:18 PM »

tolismlf wrote:
I use Windows XP. It's the mainstream OS that's why. I also like the OS X GUI but... it's no use. For me.

OSX is also a mainstream OS  :-)

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2004, 08:39:43 PM »
I'd choose Windows. OS X is slow and software support is inadequate. OS X GUI design is just a horror.

Btw at local university students can choose to use OS X, MacOS 8 (yuck! terror!) or Windows XP. I don't know why but Window XP machines are always populated, few activists are using MacOS 8 (!) and OS X machines stay unused. You can even print for free from Macs (from XP it costs 5 cents per page) but Macs are still mostly unused... There are also few Linux machines for email reading via Pine. They are almost always occupied, too.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook