Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows Or OSX?  (Read 3450 times)

Description:

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
Re: Windows Or OSX?
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2004, 08:39:43 PM »
I'd choose Windows. OS X is slow and software support is inadequate. OS X GUI design is just a horror.

Btw at local university students can choose to use OS X, MacOS 8 (yuck! terror!) or Windows XP. I don't know why but Window XP machines are always populated, few activists are using MacOS 8 (!) and OS X machines stay unused. You can even print for free from Macs (from XP it costs 5 cents per page) but Macs are still mostly unused... There are also few Linux machines for email reading via Pine. They are almost always occupied, too.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline FastRobPlus

• Show only replies by FastRobPlus
    • http://bye
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2004, 09:12:01 PM »
>>You can even print for free from Macs (from XP it costs 5 cents per page)

That's strange!  My guess is the university must have an app that tracks print jobs and chrages back the students, but the app is not avilable on the Mac so they waive tha charge?!?

I wonder if you could emulate a Mac on the PC and print from the emulation to avoid a charge? :)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2004, 10:09:42 PM »

FastRobPlus wrote:

That's strange!  My guess is the university must have an app that tracks print jobs and chrages back the students, but the app is not avilable on the Mac so they waive tha charge?!?

I wonder if you could emulate a Mac on the PC and print from the emulation to avoid a charge? :)

PearPC :-D

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2004, 10:13:01 PM »

HopperJF wrote:
I seen this discussion on the Mac Format board.. which do you prefer and why?
I know this may be accused of as flamebait, and I know Windows will probably win because the user base is larger.. but I am more interested in WHY you think its the best rather than how many of you think what OS is the best.

I love OSX simply because it is so reliable and so easy to use, and so comfortable. I don't know why I thnk that - I just do and I'm not talking bull either.. I mean I could easily flog the Mac and get an x86 box if I preferred Windows.. or ANY x86 operating system for that matter. Before OSX that is a different story, but in them days (1990s) I really enjoyed working with AmigaOS because like the MacOS, I felt comfortable using it and it was reliable and fast. (AmigaOS 3.1 would boot off my hard drive in 5 seconds flat.. on a 14MHz Amiga 1200!!) but times have changed, although AmigaOS 4 looks very nice, I decided to switch to a more up-to-date operating system with better support. Linux would have been nice but it is awkward to use and I'd be lost in a spaghetti of different distributions and architectures.
I wanted things simple - like the Amiga.

MacOS was the only way to go,

Thanks for a supporting a partly owned Microsoft OS for PowerPC i.e. at least MS's $150 million USD was invested during Apple Corp's dark days.

and boy am I glad I made that decision. I don't want to support a monopoly,

You may already have supported Microsoft by purchasing any 8bit PCs with MS BasicOS installed e.g. Commodore, Apple, MSX and ‘etc’.    

one of a bad product at that, so Windows was out of the question. A nice Mac was what I needed. And OSX is just the best release of the operating system by far, it is absolutely revolutionary compared to all the other OS's on the market, INCLUDING the much-praised Windows XP which I happen to think is a load of bollocks, badly written drivers, ugly eye-candy and compatibility issues,

For GUI look, use either Silver or Royale themes(only with Windows XP 2005 MCE). The royale theme is similar to AOS4’s blue metallic window scheme.

whilst OSX is a seamless upgrade from the previous generations of the MacOS whilst retaining all the attribues that make MacOS so great and pleasurable in the first place.. which includes ease-of-use, reliability and functionality.. not to mention being friendly.

The only good OS Microsoft have made in my opinion is DOS. If DOS was still being developed and supported I'd probably use it as well as OSX but it doesn't so..

OSX wins hands-down, no matter what the Windows users may say.. I have used both and OSX is definitely the better OS. OSX is the way to go baby!!!

Next??  :-)

MacOS X and DOS are somewhat contradictory.  No matter how you skin it, Microsoft still gets you.  ;)
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline HopperJFTopic starter

• Show only replies by HopperJF
    • http://www.michael-powell.blogspot.com
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2004, 10:14:04 PM »

itix wrote:
I'd choose Windows. OS X is slow and software support is inadequate. OS X GUI design is just a horror.

Yeah because tellytubbies XP is much better!  :roflmao:

:crazy:
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2004, 10:15:26 PM »

bloodline wrote:

FastRobPlus wrote:

Hey it works the other way around too. You can have the better PPC architecture and emulate Windows XP on a Mac if you reeealy want to!! :crazy:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2004, 10:15:57 PM »

HopperJF wrote:

itix wrote:

You can switch tellytubby mode off on XP... you can't on OSX :-(

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2004, 10:18:32 PM »
Why is OSX and DOS contradictory?
I just dont like Windows  :-)

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2004, 10:19:39 PM »

bloodline wrote:

HopperJF wrote:

itix wrote:

Wronnng  :lol:

Offline Hammer

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2004, 10:20:11 PM »

HopperJF wrote:

itix wrote:

It has been replaced with Royale theme in MS Windows XP MCE 2005.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2004, 10:20:35 PM »

HopperJF wrote:

bloodline wrote:

HopperJF wrote:

itix wrote:

Wronnng  :lol:

Then tell me how, because OSX is really annoying.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2004, 10:26:12 PM »

HopperJF wrote:

Both are fundamentally similar.

Your choice...

Offline Hammer

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2004, 10:30:18 PM »

HopperJF wrote:

bloodline wrote:

FastRobPlus wrote:

Hey it works the other way around too. You can have the better PPC architecture and emulate Windows XP on a Mac if you reeealy want to!! :crazy:

Note, Virtual PC is a Microsoft product...  :-P

Offline Brian Hoskins

• Electronics Engineer & Computer Programmer
    • Show only replies by Brian Hoskins
    • brianhoskins.uk
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2004, 10:38:16 PM »
I use AmigaOS on a daily basis because a well equipped Amiga1200 machine takes pride of place on my computer desk as my "main machine".  In addition to the Amiga I use a fairly modern laptop which runs WindowsXP, and I normally use that alongside my Amiga so that the Amiga's monitor is my main screen, and then I can turn to the side slightly to use the laptop if I need or want to.

I can't really comment on OSX because I've never tried it for long enough to form an opinion, but I have to say I always hated the MacOS of old.  Since a lot of people have told me OSX is very much improved I wont hold that against it - I just wont form an opinion.

If we're talking about an AmigaOS V Windows thread, then in my opinion AmigaOS wins, in the context of which is the best operating system.  WindowsXP has more features and appeals to the modern computing world more so than AmigaOS, but if we're talking about which is the better "Operating System" then I have to say AmigaOS wins hands down, especially if you talk about the literal definition of an Operating System.

I generally use AmigaOS for everything that I can, and then turn to Windows when I find that there's no equivalent application on AmigaOS which can perform the job as well as that on Windows.  This means that I usually do things like DVD writing or CD/DVD ripping on the PC because raw processing power is needed for that, and the applications aren't really there to allow me to do it on AmigaOS.

Generally I use the Amiga for most things because it is my preference, and I will continue to do so for as long as it remains my preference.  I can't see that situation changing for a while yet.

Brian

Offline JetFireDX

• Show only replies by JetFireDX
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2004, 10:44:49 PM »
All I want to say is "to each their own". I don't care who likes what or why. If you like it and are happy with it, then by all means use it.

I use a Mac G5 and I like it. I have a PC with Windows XP Pro from before I had a Mac. I have tried Linux and many other OSes on it. Nothing came close to making me as happy as my Amiga did. My Mac comes *closer*. Its not there yet, but I don't think anything ever will be.

« Reply #29 from previous page: December 01, 2004, 10:50:32 PM »

Hammer wrote:

HopperJF wrote:

Both are fundamentally similar.

Your choice...

Tis. And that even includes me using the amazing Windows XP you all rave about  :-)